I dont know if I am going to make it.

Ling

I just don?t know how I am going to make it. Life without my heart medication is ****. Life with Pots is very difficult and challenging less alone with no medication. Sometimes I wonder if I am not a making a mistake. I wonder if my body would even be able to make a pregnancy. I am doing everything and not falling pregnant. I know it has only been 3 month but you are the only people that will understand when I say. I am DYING here. Everything is worst. Thank goodness I have a sense of humour or else I don?t know how I would live in this body everyday. Any advice please, I just feel like giving up.

Sorry for the negativity today. Please remember my gyny said if I cant live with out my heart medication no baby.

Guest tearose

Ling, you want this baby, try to hold on! Are you doing salt and compression? What can you do to help yourself? Artificial insemination is probably an expensive alternative but if you are having a lot more pots symptoms and life is horrible...

Just wanted to send you encouragement to keep your spirits up!

best regards, tearose

Hi Ling

please give yourself some more time. As you said yourself, it's only three months (but I do know how hard these months are without the meds, so I do understand you). Pushing yourself too hard won't help you. Try to relax, I know how difficult it is for you but I do want to encourage you. My first pregnancy took me 6 to 7 months and the second time I needed hormones because although nothing was wrong, I didn't get pregnant the usual way (I probably was on early menopause by then). The hormones worked for me and I got pregnant immediately at the first try. Sooo: there is hope for you because like tearose mentioned artificial insemination is another possibility. I'm sending you positive thoughts and hope this will help you :lol:

Corina

Hi Ling - Hang in there.... I understand how you must be feeling right now b/c I am in a similar situation as far as wanting children in the near future, but unsure about how my body will react.

Keep your faith.... I know things will work for you.

Your doing all you can do. Keep really hydrated like tearose said and also if you are not wearing compression hose I highly recommend them.

The best thing you can do is try to relax as much as possible. Are you able to meditate? or just have some quiet time to clear your mind in the day.

Have you discussed with your Dr's any "saf" med you could take to help you right now?

Corina - I was wondering when you did the hormones to get pregnant did this aggravate your POTS?

Hi Jenn,

I wasn't aware of POTS by then (although I do think I already had some of the symptoms, I didn't know about it). The hormones gave me a terrible headache but since I knew it was for a good cause, I didn't mind. I was very lucky that it worked at once. During both my pregnancies I felt great time, except for being more tired the first three months and spontaneous nosebleedings all through the pregnancy (have no idea where that came from, my doc was worried about it but after delivery it stopped).

Wish you (and you Ling) lots of luck on this,

Corina

I understand what you are going through. I agree with everything posted. Please try to keep up with the non-medication measures such as fluids, salt/electrolytes, compression hose. Are you up to any exercise? If so, try yoga, floor exercises, walking?anything gentle that you can do daily. Meditation or other exercises that help you to relax are also critical. There are a lot of studies out there that indicate that stress can hamper your fertility. Also, of course, a healthy and varied diet is important for health, and may also affect fertility.

All of that said, three months of trying is not a long time?even though it is a long time to be feeling rotten. Some women can get pregnant that quickly, but I think I have read that you should be trying for at least 6 months before seeking medical help. Personally, it took me six months to get pregnant (at age 33).

Are you using any particular method to establish when you ovulate? That can be very helpful?and some women don?t get pregnant until they do that?using a basal body temperature thermometer or otherwise there are kits that help predict ovulation. Keep in mind there is only a window of about 2-4 days a month during which you are fertile and it is possible to get pregnant.

Has your thyroid function been evaluated? Even slight under-activity can affect fertility. In addition, low thyroid is not good during pregnancy, for mother or baby. It would be a good idea to have this evaluated, if it hasn?t been.

Katherine

Thank you Corina! I am so gald that it worked out for you and you were able to have your children!

I seem to really react to hormonal changes in me.... It seems to flare up my symptoms.... I am not sure if it came down to it if I could do hormone treatments....but one never knows. I guess I can cross that bridge when I get to it.

I have never been against adoption either.... I would explore that route as well... But like I said when the time comes LOL

Thanks a lot! :)

It took me a long time to get pregnant too Ling. Then with my second one I was on birthcontrol. Go figure. Make sure your husband or significant other is wearing boxer shorts. Traditional underwear for men can tend to warm things up too much and kill off sperm. Sorry, but a fact. What I did was decide the time wasn't right and to start birth control at my next cycle and then never had one as I got pregnant! So sometimes I think stress and worry about it seem to hamper it, but not sure why. I am sorry you are feeling so awful, not being on the meds and it's so easy to get discouraged, but hang in there. We are all wishing you a quick pregnancy!!! morgan

Three months feels like forever when you are feeling rotten, but like the others said it is not long in the whole scheme of things :) Average couples can take up to a year to conceive, and given your history of endometriosis you may have to be even more patient. I know how badly you want to conceive and I really am cheering for you and hoping it happens sooner than later. Just keep thinking about how much this means to you, and how long you have been waiting. You can make it!!! I wish they would just invent a pregnancy safe POTS medication for us- beleive me, right now I could use it. Take care of yourself!!

Thank you all for your advice. I don?t know what I would do with out all my pots friends. It?s just wonderful to have people understand what I am talking about. I have decided to just live one day at a time. That way I am not counting the days and not concentrating on how long I will or have been with out my mediation. I am using my ovulation dates and looking for the physical signs of ovulation. There is no lack of trying. My poor husband can testify to that. I am buying a thermometer this week to start measuring my temperature. I would not be in such a hurry if I did not feel so bad. I can't put into words how I am battling without my medication. I never dreamt it would be this bad. I am also going to try and think of other things. I am stress too much about my body at the moment.

Thank you for everything. :)

You've received great advice, Ling... here's one more tip. If you wait until your temperature peaks, it MAY be too late... I have one friend who got pregnant twice in her 40s by having sex every other day for 10 days around ovulation time. I'm sorry it's so tough for you without medication ... I hope that achieving pregnancy and having a higher blood volume during those months will help you feel better. Best of luck,

m

Merrill is absolutely right. By the time your temp rises you are generally not fertile anymore. The key is to time sex for the period of several days BEFORE the temp rises. This is why charting your temp is helpful. After several months you can see your unique temp pattern and predict it. I have also heard that the every other day thing is best for keeping sperm count optimum.

Ling--you might already know all of this, but maybe this is helpful!

Take care,

Katherine

Hello,

I have a question for women who have pots and who have a baby.

I want to have a baby but i don't know if I would be able to occupy to the baby because I'm always very tired.

in the morning i could not wake up at 6 because i don't feel good.

I want realy a baby but I am posed a lot of question.

please help me.

thanks

tsampa

Our experiences with pregnancy all vary A LOT, and there have been MANY discussions on this forum in the past on this topic.

Here are some links to previous threads to get you started:

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=201

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=1094

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=514

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=238

After reading through these, if you still have questions, we can try to answer them!

By the way, I see you are from Switzerland--what is your first language? If you have trouble understanding any of the words let us know, too.

Katherine

my first langage is frensh.

I understant english but it is difficult to speak.

thanks for the links.

I'm afraid not of the pregnancy but when the baby was here to care for a baby. the father of my futur bady will help me a lot when he finish his work. And I think if I have a baby 2 moring in the weeks I must but my baby to a nourise.

I'have pots since 1996 but in switzerland there is no doctor of pots. nobody knows this illness.

between 96 and 2004 I work half time but now i could not work beaucouse I'm so tired all the time and i have indestinal problem.

every body speak about the pregnancy but not so much after. if all is ok.

thanks very much.

That's a great question, tsampa ... it's true that many conversations have focused on how to get through pregnancy, but what about the REALLY tough part: raising a child? Especially during the first few years, when they need us for everything and demand so much energy? I'll be adopting this year--and even though I'm able to work full time now, I'm sitting most of the day. Spending all day with a baby will be a real shock to the system (as it is even for people without pots/dysautonomia). Any tips?

m

PS Maybe this should be it's own topic? Tsampa, feel free to start a new topic with your first post--or I can do it later if you don't. :)

I am currenlty 31 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with POTS over three years ago. I sought pre-natal counselling and saw my cardiologist before I got pregnant. I am followed by a great high risk OB group who advised me not to go off of my beta blockers that both me and the baby would do better if my POTS was under control. So far this pregnancy has been pretty good. We have had to increase my medications and the last few weeks have been a little bit harder, but it is worth it. We have had ultrasounds of the baby every four weeks and he is doing very well. I am a little bit nervous about delivery as the docs have said that they are not sure how I will do or how I will handle anesthesia. I am trying to be positive, but I am glad that I didn't go off my meds since I have done that before and it was awful!! I would encourage you to see a high risk OB before getting pregnant. It took us four months to get pregnant which is very normal. They told us not to worry until it had been a year of trying.

I hope this helps,

Good luck :)

It's great that you're doing well with this pregancy -- you've come a long way! You're almost there! (You should read Ethansmom's recent posts--she's delivering soon!)

As I understand it, beta blockers are OK during pregnancy, tho it's best if possible to avoid during the first trimester. But many people have to take other medications to manage pots symptoms--meds that have not been approved and are not considered safe for the developing fetus.

It sounds like your baby's doing great--and you've got a great team of physicians behind you ...

best wishes for the home stretch,

merrill

Ling, you can have too much sex.. just so you know, having it a lot doesn't give the man's body enough time to restock, if you know what I mean. Many people think that having constant sex is helpful, when in fact it can make it harder to conceive, because the sperm doesn't give replenished. Sorry, if that seems a little graphic, but just a fact of life.

Merrill and tsampa, I was pretty ill when I had both my boys and working 32 hours to 40 hours a week, most of the time on night shift. Taking care of children when you are healthy is very difficult, let alone when you are sick. But I can tell you, the fortitude comes from somewhere deep inside where that mother instinct is, and you just do what you have to do.

When I look back, I often wonder how I did it, but I guess I did all right because both of them have turned out to be good, caring men. I sometimes think when kids are raised around a chronic illness, especially men, it tends to make them more compassionate, as opposed to people who've had no exposure to the struggles some of us face.

I just want to reassure you that the mothering part of us is stronger than any chronic illness and I've never regretted my decision to have kids, and deal with illness and them. I hope that helps a little. morgan

Hi Tsampa

I have an Aunt in Switzerland. She is a fantastic nurse in the I.C.U. department I will ask her if she knows of any good doctors. I will try to help you find someone in Switzerland. You need to find someone that understands Pots. I don?t know what I would do with out my Cardiologist. He is fantastic.

Good luck and just fight it. I get out of bed everyday of my life feeling terrible. :)

Guest Mary from OH

Ling-

The best advice I have for you is to RELAX!!!! When you stop thinking about it and trying so hard, you will become pregnant quickly!! Stress can prevent a pregnancy from occuring. In other words, if you're trying so hard, and timing everything and worrying about when, how, why what where.... it just doesn't always work. Your body will secrete hormones that won't allow the pregnancy to attach to the walls of the uterus.

Also, there are several meds for POTS that you are able to take while trying to get pregnant. Talk to your dr. about them. Many people also continued on meds during their pregnancy. And definitely drink lots of Gatorade and use salt and compression hose.

Have fun at getting pregnant. Don't make it so scientific. It WILL happen!

I had 3 miscarriages before I was blessed with my Angel Marissa. I didn't think it would ever happen. She was going to be my last try. I left it up to God and said, if it is to be, it will be. And sure enough, she happened. I'm not saying that is what you need to do. What I mean is that you need to relax. Once I was able to relax and not worry so much, everything fell into place.

Take care and keep us posted!!

May you be blessed with a healthy baby of your own one day.