Can Probiotics Cause Neurological Symptoms

gertie

Most of my allergy symptoms involve my neurological system in some way. I guess that's why I hesitate taking new things. I finally found a probiotic (allergen free) & thought that would be good for my IBS. I've been taking a small amount of this for a few days & have had no bloating or anything I've heard that is common when starting probiotics. Instead, I've been having some strange problems with my vision & I've been lethargic & depressed the last couple of days. I slept for 3 hours this afternoon & still didn't want to get up which is not me at all.

Is it possible a probiotic would cause this. I have had strange symptoms like this from antigen injections for mold before & had to stop taking them. Your comments appreciated.

I have severe allergies and have never had a problem with any probiotic. In all likelihood, the symptoms you're having are from something else...that being said, it's more likely that you'd have a reaction to a supposed "inert" ingredient in a supplement, such as the binding agents. Also something you may wish to ask a medical professional about.

My sensitivities to things are always neurological as well, and it's been explained to me that my nervous system is probably hypersensitive to pretty much everything, including a lot of medications that really shouldn't cause reactions. I would assume that can apply to probiotics as well - I've had reactions to some pretty simple supplements.

Also, a huge amount of your neurotransmitters are produced in your intestines. Usually probiotics should help (improve mood, etc) but maybe they have some sort of opposite effect on you.

I do think you should consult a doctor especially since your vision is affected. That being said, probiotics effect not just your gi tract but your immune system as well. So, while I've never heard of probiotics causing neurologic problems, your immune system can definitely manifest neurologic symptoms.....ask anyone with mcas.

My sensitivities manifest with neuro symptoms too. It's frustrating to be so sensitive that we can't take anything which might bring relief. You could stop taking it and see if those symptoms go away. If they don't, obviously something else is going on. If yes, maybe you could try different brands and see if there is another one you can tolerate?