Really Struggling With Low Blood Sugar

gofl1

Hey everyone, I am usually pretty good at figuring out how to treat my symptoms or at least understand what is going on, but I am seriously struggling with my blood sugar. I was tentatively diagnosed with Pots about a year ago after two years of symptoms. Thankfully I am doing much much better now in that regard. The only med I am taking right now is Bystolic. I am minimally over weight, but not obese. It seems that my low blood sugar issues have become much more pronounced in the past 3 months (and getting worse), but I can now see signs of it going back a few years (blurry vision, crushing fatigue after eating etc.). I finally had a 5 hour glucose tolerance test done a month ago. My blood sugar peaked around 120 after an hour and dropped to 39 at hour 4 before rebounding to 60 at hour 5. My GP, who I really like, told me to cut back on the simple carbs and eat more protein. He also suggested I see an endo which unfortunately won't happen until February due to a booked schedule. I have never been this strict about eating before and it is not helping. I have been religiously using my glucose monitor for the past 4 days and have yet to see a reading over 95. The readings are consistently in the 60s to low 70s. I know this isn't super low, but I feel terrible at that level. My eyes start to hurt like they are too big for their sockets, my feet get cold and sweaty and I feel pretty shaky. My heart rate issues have also been popping back up during these lows. Currently I am eating 75 -100 grams of carbs per day and a lot of fat/protein. I know old school beta blockers can lower glucose but can Bystolic? My last AM cortisol was normal, but adrenals are likely a bit shaky after years of stress from my health. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I will try anything at this point.

I can empathize! I've had years of low blood sugar. Beta blockers always made my pressure drop to much, so I've never taken them past 1 or 2 days, but I did realize that they worsen hypoglycemia issues, so for that reason I didn't push finding a blocker that might work.

39 is pretty low. Did they measure the insulin alongside the glucose levels during the test? Yes, pair carbs with protein. Carbs stimulate insulin(which most of us know), but protein stimulates glucagon. Glucagon is the "opposite" hormone than insulin, and it is released by the pancreas to stimulate the liver to convert stuff to glucose. So, it should, in theory, help counteract the insulin's action.

I can almost forewarn you that most endos are only concerned with fasting hypoglycemia. Postprandial hypoglycemia, they just tell you to eat less carbs. I know, though, PP hypos can be a sign of serious issues also. I hope your endo can help!

Thanks Sue, I don't have the results with me (forgot to ask in my post test stupor) but I don't believe insulin was measured except for at the pre glucose blood draw. It seems a lot of doctors are fairly unaware of how to deal with hypoglycemia. What's weird is that eating meals only containing protein and fat really seem to drop my blood sugar which I don't understand at all. My glucagon response must be somewhat intact if I rebounded from the 39 without eating anything. With all my weird health stuff up until this point nothing would surprise me, including something rare like an insulinoma (insulin producing tumor on the pancreas).

I used to have hypoglycemia a year ago. I got hypoglycemia a couple years ago when I started celexa. After I stopped the celexa I no longer have hypoglycemia. when I had hypoglycemia I did a glucose test. just fasting over night before I drank the sugary solution it was 47. I do not know what it spiked to but on the 3rd hour my body starting acting strange. I was sweating perfusively, I was getting angry a little aggressive. there was a snack table in the same room and I yelled I need food I went to run to eat it but mom had to wrestle me down back in the chair so I wouldn't pass out. and they checked my sugar and it was 26. they gave me orange juice and peanut butter crackers t hen I was back to normal. This might help you: maybe try eating small snacks throughout the day instead of big meals. Whenever you eat something always have protein and maybe have 15 grams of carbs with each meal. it might help to try to avoid real carb food like lots of potatoes or lots of pasta or lots of rice. those could make you crash faster. maybe with eveyrmeal try to have protein. and to keep your sugar from crashing when you sleep I was told having a high fiber and protein snack would help. My grandma saw a news thing on tv that an apple and a glass of milk before bed would help keep your sugar up through the night. what I always had was a slice of bread with peanut butter or a slice of lunch meat and a glass of milk. I hope you feel better and find a way to keep your sugar under control!!

I am a type II diabetic and I eat a low carb, high protein diet, and manage my diabetes quite well with this method. My wife is exactly like you, so she needs to graze all day and or eats many small meals and it works well for her to keep up her glucose readings. We also do well on slow release carbs which I can tolerate and it works very well with her. Do some research on slow release carbs and that just may be your ticket to success in keeping you blood glucose steady. Many doctors have told me any blood glucose level below 65 is way too low. I can tell instantly if she is low as she gets grumpy :-(

DADofPotsSon