Headache All Day Stiff Neck/ Feeling Hot/cold????

artluvr09

I felt fine when I woke up this morning. Then I had breakfast and got a shower then after I was done showering I brought my two dogs in the tub and I gave them a bath. I was sitting on a stool and gave them each a bath. then sometime after that I got a headache and it lasted all day. it was on the right side going behnd my ear. I've been lightheaded today too. my neck is stiff and I keep feeling like im hot but im also cold off and on. But I am not getting sick. I don't think so anyway.

I know this sounds stupid but im really worried about the brain eating amoeba. Last night I was brushing my teeth and I used my hands to rinse and spit and I got some water in my nose and the water was warm. Im worried that im infected with the amoeba but my mom thinks im crazy idk. but there is such a thing look it up. I'm worried what is causing me to feel this way? also my neck and face feel hot. advice would be great!!

Thanks!!

Hi Art,

In the very beginning before my son was diagnosed with POTS, my son had an episode with a stiff neck. I actually took him to the emergency room and he was admitted to the hospital. He was there for 10 days and he was also diagnosed with POTS by the cardiologist. To this day, the cardiologist and I do not know why this happened. I assumed it was part of the POTS condition. When my son checked out of the hospital, his neck was fine and not stiff anymore.

Rachel

My neck stiffens up when I'm dealing with migraines, and lately it's been a bear to deal with. The feeling hot and cold though, is just part of my pots, I'm sensitive to my environments.

Don't know if any advice, but I hope you feel better soon!

A headache on one side along with neck pain and stiffness is fairly common in POTS. It's sometimes referred to as "coathanger" pain as it follows a pattern that would look like a coathanger if it were to be laid over your shoulders/neck/head region. I get it frequently and have been having it a lot recently.

Temperature regulation issues are also common with POTS.

A brain eating amoeba is a real thing, but pretty rare. Most people get them from swimming in open water,, although I guess there have been a few isolated cases recently from people getting them from using tap water in their sinus neti-pot rinse systems. I think those cases were mostly down in LA if I remember correctly. Recommendation for that is to use distilled water I believe if you are using a neti pot or other type of sinus rinse system.

Not saying you couldn't have it, but given your other diagnoses, I think you have more likely causes for your headache, neck pain and hot/cold feelings.

Hope this is reassuring for you.

Chaos, I did not realize what the coathanger term meant but you described exactly what I saw. I have beening see this more in my son the last two weeks since the ear infection. It's also been very stormy in here so I'm sure this is not helping this situation either.

Hi Art,

Hope I didn't scare you too much with my reply. POTS has a lot of strange and unusual symptoms. Keep asking questions. Have you been checked out by an immunologist yet? Some symptoms can be immune related.

Rachel

I just want to second chaos' statements. I also struggle with neck pain and one sides headaches. So frustrating! Where are you located? I'm in the northeast (us) and the seasonal change is definitely messing with me- hot cold hot cold.

Hope you get some relief soon! Fwiw I get some neck pain relief (and therefore headache relief, they are related for me) by taking a muscle relaxer and using a heat pad on my neck.

I've had the headache, coat hanger neck pain, that goes into my upper back and shoulder blade, and the hot/cold flashes for 4 days now. It turns out I have a sinus infection and strep throat. The doc said that it is common to get this coat hanger pain when you have a significant headache because you tend to crunch your muscles without realizing it and then they spasm and get stiff. She has me on meds for the infection and a heating pad and warm showers as my pots allows to help the neck to relax.

Coat hanger pain... Never thought if it like that, but it's so true! I too have been loving up to my heating pad and some warmer showers to help stretch and relax my muscles.