Ibs Anyone?

Racer

Is this a common problem for people with dysautonomia?

I have had mild constipation problems my whole life, but over the past month my symptoms have got out of control. A xray showed my colon was totally full solid, and the pain was really bad. Nothing was working, so the other day my gi doc had me take a full bottle of miralax all at once and prescribed me linzess to take daily. It worked and I felt soooo much relief. It felt so great at first, but then I developed uncontrollable diarrhea that has not went away yet. I am in so much pain now, way worse then before, and I cant walk to far from the bathroom. I was given a antispasmodic injection, but it did not work to well. I was told to just keep taking the linzess and give it two weeks.

I think there are a lot of us who have IBS or other bowel issues. It's quite common with dysautonomia. Per my POTS neuro, the GI system is the "hot new topic" amongst POTS researchers.

Kind of find it ironic that amongst CFS researchers, the autonomic nervous system and Small Fiber Neuropathy are hot topics. Does it strike anyone else as "funny" that these docs are just now realizing that all these systems might actually be related? :rolleyes:

Yes yes and YES!!! I have to take a triple dose of miralax everyday! I have always had IBS and constipation but with my onset of pots it has gotten horrible. Also I am having bladder issues too :( the doctor said I now have CRONIC constipation on top of it all. Oh well, I guess dyautonomia isn't for whimps!!!!! :)

they have to be related. i was at the cardiolagist office today and my heart rate was going from 115 sitting to 165 standing. after doing that a few times i ended up in the bathroom at costco for four hours because i could not get out. all that heart bouncing extremes sent my intestines into such painful spasms i was stuck in the bath room puking. i didn't have emergencey rations of zofran and an anti spasmotics to stop it . and i was 40 miles from home. what was supposed to be a half hour dr visit took a total of six hours to get home. rats.... note to self remember never leave house with out phone and emergency stash of medicine. one time i was shopping and it got so bad i had to send my then 9 year old daughter to find imodium in costco , pay for it bring it bring it to me and then wait it out poor thing...

Yes yes and YES!!! I have to take a triple dose of miralax everyday! I have always had IBS and constipation but with my onset of pots it has gotten horrible. Also I am having bladder issues too :( the doctor said I now have CRONIC constipation on top of it all. Oh well, I guess dyautonomia isn't for whimps!!!!! :)

Do you think your bladder issues are related to the constipation? You dont have to answer, just a thought.

My constipation got really bad when I was admitted to the hospital for seizures. I lost bladder control at that point and it was attributed to seizure activity. I was told nothing could be done, to just keep managing it with incontinence products and hope seizure meds would help the problem. They didnt know my abdomen was packed full, and ignored my complaints of abdominal pain and constipation. I wasn't aware constipation could affect bladder control. Once I got cleaned out with the miralax my bladder issue has greatly improved. Talk about a roller coaster of emotions, it is so depressing. One extreme to another

I totally think you are correct racer!! I have absolutely noticed a pattern with the constipation and the urination issues going hand in hand!! I have also noticed since the Miralax my bladder has gotten way way better!! Grrr I swear I am so sick of all of this nastiness, if its not hitting you from one end it's whamming you from the other!!!

The autonomic nervous system controls function of the entire gi tract and bladder just as it controls heart rate. So, those of us who have malfunctioning autonomic nervous systems will experience these multi system malfunctions.: -( I tend to deal with diarrhea more than constipation so this is conjecture on my part, but, could your full intestines be putting just enough pressure on a bladder that is already compromised by dysautonomia that it causes incontinence during your bouts of constipation?

Yep, I was diagnosed with IBS when I was about 22, even though I'd been having issues with it since I was about 16. I do my best to control it through diet, but I also take Bentyl for when I have a really bad flare up of it. Mine isn't the constipation, mine is IBS-D. They once told me I basically was in a precursor for developing Crohns, but after getting my POTS diagnosis, I'm seeing more and more how all of this is coinciding, and how I could have been developing the POTS even in my teenage years.

Wow, I've been having digestive problems for years - I've never been given anything, and am just now finally having some of the tests to rule-out everything else so it is a semi-formal IBS diagnosis.

I believe I've had at least a mild form of dysautonomia since my teens, with the migraines and bowel problems. I seriously think that all these problems are linked together, which considering the numbers of people out there with migraine, IBS, fibro, etc. one would think more research would be going on, as any attempt to treat things would be grossly successful in a profit sense (and even more-so if it ended up being remotely effective treatment).

My present theories on this (especially from a digestive standpoint) are linked to bowel bacterial balance, a subject that is just beginning to come to light in research circles.