Irregular h/b again

JLB

I'm so tired I can barely type. It's been days now, thumping and bumping and galloping in my chest. Can't even swallow without setting it off, must have vagus nerve stuff going on too.

I keep getting dizzy. Hard to eat - heart rhythm goes bad for hours.

Can anyone remind me that it passes eventually?

Sorry my dear. I hate those days especially when they drag on and on.

How are your electrolytes?

I notice them correlated with PMS.

I read recently that if they feel HARD and irregular you need extra magnesium, if they feel SOFT and irregular you need extra calcium.

My favorite heart cocktail:

1/2 cup hot water

1 tsp Natural Calm powdered magnesium

1/4 - 1/2 tsp Sea Salt

1/4 c Orange Juice (for the potasium)

In the evening I may substitute the OJ for Grape Juice and pretend it's a wonderful mulled wine. Has a really nice relaxing effect.

Gentle hugs your way.

EM

Guest Julia59

I'm sorry to hear you having this happen to you. I can assure you, they usually pass with time. I wish I could offer advice, but the advice already given is good advice.

I usually get these when my period is near. I'm wonder if you may have some hormone issues going on? All I know is our hearts can get pretty irritable at times and the craziest things can set it off--------but it is benign the majority of the time.

I especially hate it when i'm having a good day "POTS WISE", and all of a sudden I feel like my heart has dropped into my belly, does a dance, and then back to normal. It's like there is some kind of little troll in there to mess up a good day.

"Hello-i'm here to wreck your day". Not so fast Mr. Troll----I'm not going to let ya....I know this is no big deal.......

Still I know it's hard---especially if your having several palpitations. Not to worry though, I have told Docs about these and he said they just come with the territory-----the POTS territory.

Julie :0)

It's over 2 weeks now, and I still don't feel better. If I wait until I do, I'll never be back here.

I was reading some stuff on the 'net about people with dysautonomia dying suddenly from arrythmias (which I get often, along with the constant PVCs) - I thought people didn't die from this! I'm scared to pieces now, what's the truth?

JLB,

I am so sorry you are having a hard time right now. I am having lots of arrythmias right now too. WOW, I didn't know we could die from this!! :rolleyes:<_< Where did you read that? Now I am scared too. -Not that I wasn't already terrified in the first place. These irregular and/or fast beats scare the $#^& out of me, even though Ihave had them for many years. SOme times they are worse than others.

Hang in there and update us and let us know where you found that info, PLEASE!!

Hugs and peace to you,

Danelle

http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic609.htm

That's the link.

I'm sorry, I should have thought before I posted - I didn't mean to scare you or anyone else. I was just so shocked... I'm really sorry.

You know, I decided a couple of days ago to just "ignore" it, pretend it's just "anxiety". Panic disorder. Get tough and be strong, and all that stuff that I guess I knew wouldn't help - but I'm so SICK of this. I couldn't even get out of the house yesterday.

Because I got up yesterday morning and couldn't walk straight. There wasn't enough blood getting to my brain, it was the worst episode I've had yet. And I've been panicking ever since. Then I read this, and now I'm scared even more.

But I shouldn't have scared you, please forgive me.

Can anyone explain away this article for me?

JLB, please don't apologize. IT is ok. I truly mean that. It is ok I promise. I just scared over the whole thing anyway because I keep going down hill. The irregular heartbeats that are persistent are SOOO scary but I have lived with them for a long time. EVen though I am an RN I can't function enough today to read the entire article and give you what I think it means. As soon as my brain fog lifts, I wll read it and get back to you.

It is ok really, thank you for sharing it with us. Any and all info I can get my hand s on I like to educate myself. I just can't do it today, but you cn be sure, as soon as I can concentrate, I will get back to you.

You try not to worry too.

Hugs,

Danelle

JLB, did you ever read the article EarthMother posted March 24? (Topic: Palpitations)? If so, it's worth rereading; if not, take a look. You may find it comforting. I know I did.

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2134

PS That article you posted is about Pure Autonomic Failure and Multiple System Atrophy ... extraordinarily rare diseases that are not the same as the syndrome of POTS! I don't think you've been diagnosed with either of these--no one on this forum has been. Please do not worry about the article...the palpitations & tachycardia you're experiencing are NOT fatal!

Guest Julia59

Merrill is right----please try not to get too worried about that article on dying from arrithmias. MSA and sometimes PAF can get some pretty severe complications with heart issues. More so with MSA, I have not heard much about PAF.

I have heard nothing close to this with POTS.

And it's usually brain stem related MSA with atrophy of the lower brain which controls the cardiac function.

Julie :0)

Julia and Merrill are correct. There are many dysautonomias. POTS is not a life-threatening form. And fortunately the ones that are, are rare.

One thing that helps me when I am going through a rough patch like this is--reading less about the condition. Sometimes the more you read and think about your symptoms and your diagnosis, the more worked up you get, and it becomes a vicious, unhelpful cycle. BUT, I would recommend reading the link Merrill suggests.

Hope you are feeling better very soon. Can you get outside into nice weather? Being outside really helps me if I am feeling badly with POTS (unless the weather is bad).

Katherine

Check out my poll on benzos. Janine, an ER RN, had some interesting input in this matter. I am just confused. All I know is what the Dr's have told me but sometimes after so many years, you tend to lose faith in doctors and in their competence in general.

Thanks Janine and everyone for your input. It's just a good subject, I think, for discussion.

JLB, please don't apologize.  IT is ok.  I truly mean that.  It is ok I promise.  I just scared over the whole thing anyway because I keep going down hill.  The irregular heartbeats that are persistent are SOOO scary but I have lived with them for a long time.  EVen though I am an RN I can't function enough today to read the entire article and give you what I think it means. As soon as my brain fog lifts, I wll read it and get back to you.

It is ok really, thank you for sharing it with us. Any and all info I can get my hand s on I like to educate myself.  I just can't do it today, but you cn be sure, as soon as I can concentrate, I will get back to you.

You try not to worry too.

Hugs,

Danelle

Hugs to you too, Danelle. Thanks for understanding. And thanks Katherine and Julie and Merrill for the reassurances, you all came to my rescue today. I feel comforted.

I've been confused and frightened before by the heart symptoms, but never like this. Do you get exhausted after a while, Danelle? Anyone? I mean, just from the stress to your body of the h/b irregularities? I'm so weak at times I tremble, yet sleep is difficult - the PVCs at times will actuslly shake my body when I'm laying down trying to sleep.

Thanks again to all who responded - I've decided it may not be a good idea after all, to pretend it's just anxiety...:blink:

:P

I'm so sorry this hasn't passed yet for you. Many of us feel it is the worst of all the POTS symptoms.

Here's what I've been trying lately -- it's like an awareness practice. Get a journal and start writing down all of your thoughts when you feel the arythmias.

It might be something like.....

Heart skipping.

I feel a bit out of breath. Sweaty. Dizzy.

Heart skips again.

I hate this. I am really scared. I'm afraid my rythm won't return back to normal.

My hearts pounding really fast now.

etc.

Just keep writing -- but do it as slowly as you can. Breath long slow deep breaths as you write and try to notice all the different sensations your body is making. I get electical jolts down my arms sometimes. Write down everything you notice. Maybe even the temperature in the room, or the cat meowing outside your window. Write down all the voices. That whole story you are playing in your head.

What many of us notice is that is it the same story we've been playing over and over for years now. Instead of running from it, dive in and really look closely at the words you are using. Then after some practice with this see if you can stand back a bit and begin to challange some of the assumptions. Write in your journal statements like:

"Is that so?"

"Who said that?"

"What evidence do I have to support that?"

Sometimes when we journal we can even begin to hear a soft mentor voice come out (mine writes in caps!) It is soothing and reassuring and it's really cool to know that even when we are in the vortex of fear that this voice from our center is really there for us to.

Just something to try -- I'm always looking for ways to break the cycle. It's a lifelong practice.

Good luck on your healing journey.

EM

EM, that's a great idea! It's funny (sad?) -- in my pre-ambien days, if I was having trouble sleeping, I'd play that tape over and over in my head and make myself sicker. But from time to time I'd get myself up and turn on the light or go in the other room and write everything I'm thinking down on a piece of paper or in a notebook--whatever's handy. It really WORKS--takes the anxiety out of my head and puts it onto a piece of paper that I can set aside and then relax and fall asleep. (This is good practice during the day, obviously, too.) I never tried it in the disciplined way you describe--where you go back over the ideas and comment upon them. Very interesting idea! I love it! And I'll give it a go sometime. Thanks!

I am a walking arrythmia right now between drug allergies and steroids. I really hate it too, but for some reason it just doesn't make me panic. I guess I just figure it would have killed me by now if it was going to. I just don't know how to make you feel better. I don't have any secret recipe, I just know that for now it does stop eventually and then I just wait for it to start up again. It's been a lot worse since my ablation and that's been over two years, so just used to em I guess. morgan

JLB, yes, I do have the same problems when my arrythmias are bad. Sometimes even when they aren't so bad. I know some of it has to do with the cardiac output itself, but I am thinking that part of it has to do with the panic too(speaking for myself). It just all wears me out :P

Hope things are better for both of us today.

EM, what a great idea!! If I can get past the panic to do the journaling, I'm going to do it!! I love that idea. You can look back and see if there is a pattern or maybe just understand yourself better. Thanks for the tip! I will try it the next time it happens. :)