Excessive Yawning

Hi Everyone,

I searched the board for this today and did not find much. I was wondering if anyone else yawns excessively? Today, I yawned about 40 times in the grocery store. The yawning is not that big of a deal, but when I yawn, it feels like all of the blood is going out of my legs. They feel like they are disconnected from my body. Almost like RLS but 100 times worse and movement does not help because they are very weak, almost like spaghetti legs. I am hoping that someone else out there knows what I am talking about. Thanks!

Ann

Yes, I yawn like that too. My doctor calls sighing hyperventilation. You get in a vicious cycle where you don't feel like you have enough air, it causes you to yawn and then your body whacks out thinking it's air starved, so within a couple minutes you yawn again. It has to do with air exchange, but I've never been great at that. It will make me very weak and I've had times where I've done it so much, my ribs hurt and I get really lightheaded. I really really hate it. It can wake me out of a sleep. And it does give me rubber legs. I asked him if it was an anxiety thing, why does it mostly happen at night and wake me up, do I have excess anxiety while I sleep, because I'm not very anxious when I'm awake, I mean my arrythmias don't cause anxiety or my episodes, what's with this? He said he didn't know. But I don't sleep well and I have very vivid dreams, so who knows. But I do know what you are talking about. Think about it, how much more air do you take in when you yawn, than when you are just breathing regularly? What causes it...who knows, I personally think it's an ans thing because I'm just not a wiggy person and I don't do it in times of stress, ie when we thought my son had cancer. If there was anytime for anxiety and hyperventilation it would have been then...morgan

Yes! I yawn so much sometimes that people think I sound like I am gasping for breath--and it doesn't last long, but when it happens it knocks the stuffing out of me completely. I have to go upstairs on my bottom because I can't stand atall. I lie flat and it just doesn't help.

No one's ever been able to explain it to me, either.

i notice i yawn alot when in certain places, mals, ect. where there are lots of triggers and i need to get out and feel stressed. i also notice it if i'm up and about for longer than 1 hour, rarely happens and i have been triing to keep it from happing to often, i feel lightheaded and nauseated when it happens.

blackwolf

Guest Mary from OH

Yes, I do the same thing. My dr. told me it's because my body needs more O2. I also noticed that my blood CO2 levels are high, but no one has mentioned to me about getting O2 or anything. I yawn so muvh it's almost embarassing!!

I feel the yawning (and chestpain) were the first signals of my POTS. When the yawning starts I can't do anything anymore. I have to lay down (wherever I am) and ask someone to put my legs up. I found out that's the fastest way to recuperate (it takes about half an hour then). I don't know where it comes from but my cardio advised me to stop my activities at that point and try NOT to let that happen. At first I got it when I was exercising or walked a lot, these days I get it when I sit for about an hour. It feels like I'm out of oxygen and laying down helps me get enough in the brain.

People often ask me if I was in bed late, and I answer them that they're right and that I had a real wild party!!! <_<

Corina

My first "encounter with hyper-yawning" was actually when I had my most recent tilt table test at the end of March. The doc affirmed that it's one of the many "other things' under ANS control. There has been one other time since that I noticed myself yawning a lot but for the life of me I can't remember the circumstances now. Yet another interesting item to add to the mix I suppose...

:-)melissa

Thanks everyone, it is great to know that I am not alone. This thing is driving me crazy though, because I can't "feel" my legs when it happens and I haven't stopped yawning since last Saturday! I've tried not to yawn so that I don't get the yucky feeling, but then I forget and do it anyway...I have to put my legs up too, and even lay all the way down to feel normal.

It is nice to know that you guys are all out there and that you can understand how I feel. I can just imagine calling someone at my old job and saying, "hey, do you know how it feels to yawn all the time?"

Thanks,

Ann