Weird Sensation While Trying To Sleep

Was wondering if any others have had this problem. When I am usually very sick from dysatuonomia and gastroparesis I get very tired, near fainting. When I got to bed and try to rest I will get this rush of like adrenaline that will hit me right as I am about to drift off to sleep. Does it all the time. Even if I am just resting in a chair, closes my eyes cause I am so tired, I will get this rush. Does this happen to anyone here and do you know what it is?

Guest Alex

Sheila1366, Lejones1

I experienced something similar for several weeks after I came off clonazepam. I was told it's a cortisol rush. Ever had your adrenal glands checked?

Alex

Thanks everyone. Alex, haven't had my adrenal glands check, thank for the idea. I will do that for sure.

Alice, I have the jerking too, often when I am very tired. But the feeling I have is like a rush in my whole body that almost feel electrical. It scares me. I can even been waken up from sleep from this. I go to vandy soon, 1 of my many questions.

Guest Alex

Sheila,

you might also want to read about hypnic jerks or myoclonic jerks - a simple online search should yield plenty of hits.

While they are scary and frustrating, my understanding is that they are harmless - a sort of tug of war in your brain - it can't decide between falling asleep and staying awake.

Careful with prescription sleep aids -in my experience the phenomenon got worse when I tried coming off them.

Good luck at Vandy and keep us posted.

Hugs,

Alex

That's what I was thinking about ...myoclonic jerks. But, they truly feel like one big body twitch not a rush of electricity. I do get those and the docs insist they're normal for everyone to have, but, I never had one before the manifestation of the rest of my symptoms.

Yes, and it was very bad during my initial flare of POTs (just prior, during and right after diagnosis). I agree it feels like a jolt of electricity and a major flood of adrenaline. I don't get them as bad anymore, plus when I do, I just tell myself "its POTS" and remain calm as possible.

Sounds like it could be nocturnal myoclonus. I was dx with this via a sleep study test in early 1990s. Mine are too severe not to treat. Luckily my dr realized this from my test.

I use klonopin. I went off klonopin for about 5 years because I discovered my myoclonus was better if I avoided

gluten. I used theanine if needed.

I just realized last year that myoclonus was still keeping me from getting a good nites sleep

even if it wasn't bad enough to completely wake me up. I'm waking up feeling completely rested

as long as I take klonopin.

Tc ... D

H Sheilai,

I get the adrenalin rush about 5 minutes after I settle down to sleep. For example I'll read until I'm just about dropping off to sleep, put my book down beside me without raising my head or anything and just touch my lamp (it turns on and off with a touch) and that way I'm about as relaxed and as sleepy as I can be. Lying there drifting off to sleep and then wham, tachy and feeling adrenalin rush. I used to lie there and wait it out but now I get up and walk around for a bit to use up the adrenalin and then go back and start off the procedure of going to sleep all over again.

It can also happen when I'm falling asleep in my wing chair. I sit in it to watch tv or read or use computer during the day or evening and have my feet and legs up on an ottoman. I will feel myself drifting off while watching tv and when almost asleep I get the rush of adrenalin and tachy. Although I don't have to get up from my chair -- it passes more quickly -- and I think this is because I'm sitting upright already. I use this chair and ottoman to sleep on when I have migraine too. Often is the most comfortable place I can sleep then. Especially if I'm finding it hard to find a spot on my head where it doesn't hurt to rest it. (A relatively new phenomenon in my assorted types of migraine. I think it's probably neuralgia and migraine combined when this happens.

I don't have this problem all the time but it comes in bouts. I'll have it for weeks on end then go through shorter periods where I don't experience it.

I also have colonic inertia. Have not been tested for gastroparesis. After an endoscopy (showing a submucosal growth in my stomach), colonoscopy, small bowel motility test which showed slow motility and other tests gi doc and I decided I probably did have gastroparesis but when he offered the test for it I declined as I was told not much gi doc could offer me to help it.

blue

Thanks everyone. Alex, great help. I will look that up. Blue, you are right nothing out there for gastroparesis. It *****. I have been an emotional eater my whole life. Now that food is not my friend, it has made coping with life a bit difficult. I have rededicated my life to God and have really grown in my faith during this time and the most recent 9 months of pure torment during my youngest daughters severe illness. I will try the getting up and walking next time. Heading into another flare. I use to go longer between flares with the gp and dysautonomia but now it seems to be on my heels all the time. Now I am freezing and then hot, then freezing for a long time then hot. Heart racing, feel faint all the time, so tired! Pushing fluids the best I can to keep from getting dehydrated again. Life is so much fun!

No adrenaline rush.

But I do have this bizarre sensation. It's the mental equivalent where there is a white noise such as a fan on in the background, you tune it out, then someone turns it off and you look around for a second going "wait, what was that"

Its like my body and my mind goes numb for a split second. Not the normal "falling" sensation. Something different.

I'm the same. Recently feeling like food triggers or increases my autonomic sensitivity. I don't think the cause but I don't think helpful when I eat the wrong things. I have always believed there is an adrenal component for me, despite the fact that my testing was normal.

I definitely get these adrenaline rushes during flairs as well. When last checked, my morning cortisol level was a bit high(but that was only one morning blood draw) I just figure that I had a lot of extra stress hormone floating around and little reactions would become dramatic at these times. I don't know and I was hoping to find some answers to lots of questions when I go to soon go to Vandy as well! I would love to know if we are going to be there at the same time. Message me if you would like.