Propranolo Vs. Fludrocortisone

Propranolol Vs. Fludrocortisone  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Alex

Hard to tell what each of them did or did not as they were rx'ed to me together.

I've been on other betas though before introducing florinef and they've all been the same to me.

Alex

I was on florinef for two weeks. In that time it completely drained my potassium which gave me leg pain. Then my heart rate started to increase with no signs of stopping. I hit about 190bpm by the time I got to the hospital. When I got there they gave me some meds, it finally started to go back down. When it got to about 100bpm I felt like I had just finished running a marathon. Not a good experience.

Justin

Propranolol dropped my hr to the 20's, but Florine's raised my BP to the 170/110's. neither made me feel better. Was on both for 3-4 months because they did that after dose was increased. On the lower doses they didn't help at all and I just had extra side effects, but I'm sure they help some ppl.

• 2 weeks later...

Florinef messed with my pancreas so I had to stop taking it. It was the first medication I ever took for POTS and I did notice it seemed to help with my energy.

I've been on both, but I selected 'I have not taken this medication' for florinef because headaches had me off of it after 3 weeks.

Propranolol increased drowsiness for me - it looks like the increase/decrease options may have been left off the poll for that symptom. ;)

• 10 months later...

One thing you don't ask about is BP - The propanolol decreased my BP too much, causing trouble with syncope, even though my tachycardia and shortness of breath were much improved. I'm on Florinef again now (third time trying it, with a few years between each round). It's week nine and the leg cramps aren't alleviated by the potassium supplements and my anxiety is absurd. But, it does give me some help with the hypotension.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Beta-blockers improve my symptoms. They normalize my BP and HR. Unforunately they impair circulation in my peripheries, probably by increasing peripheral resistance, thus causing cold as well as aching arms and legs.

Nebivolol is the only B1-selective beta-blocker that appears to decrease peripheral resistance, but I have not tried it.

Non-selective beta-blockers like propanolol increase peripheral resistance more so than B1-selective beta-blockers, and I expect this is part of its MOA in POTS.