Anyone get the hypnic jerks or twitching?

Timbo

Sometimes when I am in bed and trying to go to sleep, parts of my body start to jerk periodically. The jerks are mild, its like one muscle contrats and releases, not a whole limb. I also have noticed that I have more twitching than normal over my body during the day. It's nothing alarming, but I do notice it.

I was wondering if anyone else has had one or both or these symptoms?

Thanks,

Tim

Oh the twitches!

I had a twitch in my left index finger that lasted 2 weeks and before that it was some strange twitch in my abdomen. I chaulk it up to not having the proper balance of electrolytes in my system. But I can't say for sure what finally makes them go away. I use the shotgun approach and try extra magnesium, calcium and potasium (lots of bannanas and orange juice.)

Good luck!

EM

Tim, I used to get twitches and jerks all the time until I had my spinal surgery. I think mine were not ANS related, but rather, were due to nerve compression.

Nina

Yes, I have those twitches; they usually occur at night when I am trying to go to sleep. I never know which part of my anatomy is going to do the twitchy dance.

Last night I was watching television and felt one strong and somewhat painful electrical sensation in the ball of my right foot, accompanied by milder shocks. Following these events my entire right leg jerked so strongly upward that I was pretty amazed and impressed. I was wondering what on earth I would do should they continue. They have not.

big time. actually, they're usually not little twitches, either. most of the time, one side of my body will jerk (no particular side that i can remember) when i'm lying down.

Hello,

yep i get twitches too!

Last night I fell asleap on the sofa, and my whole body twitched so hard i almost fell on the floor, managed to click my neck as well - ouch! Apparently according to my boyfriend it was quite impressive, after he had managed to get over the intial shock.

I also get very bad cramps in my hands and feet - the only way I can describe it, is that they go like claws, and it is really painful. does anyone else ever suffer with this.

(My head is really fuzzy today, so sorry if i am not making too much sense.)

Last night I was in bed and my right leg and part of my left has this weird corkscrew sensation in it and jerked pretty hard. Neither limb lifted totally off the bed but it scared the **** out of me. I am going to make an appointment with the neurologist at the VA just to have all these movements looked at. Thankfully I have been extremely calm through this, probably because I do not have any other symptoms of a systemic disease other than these involuntary movements.

No problems with weakness, gait, ridigity or stiffness, no problems voluntarily moving my arms or legs or any part of my body.

Maybe I will post a poll and see how many of you POTS people out there have these problems.

Hi Dawn,

Yes sometimes I do have difficulty breathing, at the moment I am out of breath a lot, but I think this is due to being incredibly symptomatic at the moment. Which may explain the increase in "claw like" symptoms.

I plan to keep a lifestyle and symptom diary, I have just spent a week in a pots hole, and whilst things are getting better I'm still not right, as such I'm hoping my diary will be able to establish connections that maybe I have not considered before. I shall keep an eye out for this one - thank you!

My wife has had a lot of issues with her legs. This seems to have been better in recent months. She was diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome and then told No, you don't have that. That goes along with Parkinson's, M.S., and the list goes on. Neurology isn't an exact science from what I have seen and if I could pick one area of specialty that is the most aggravating it would be neurology. There are some good ones out there, but my experience (and my wife's) has been that this is very rare.

Good Luck!!!!