Salon visit trigger for symptoms?

I am sorry if this sounds silly--but I think I am noticing a pattern for myself and I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience. Within days of getting a hair cut, I go through about a week of feeling worse. I am wondering if it could have anything to do with they way my head and neck gets positioned during the shampoo-ing. I am also wondering if it is exposure to the fumes of the harsh chemicals (although all I get is a hair cut).

This has happened to me now three times, so it seems like there is a connection.

Katheriine

Katherine, I can't say if it is POTS or not but I definitely canNOT have a salon shampoo my hair. I wash it before going in and then get it cut. When the hairdresser asked why, I told her I have a pinched nerve in my neck! It is so much easier than trying to explain POTS and she could understand why more easily. If I put my head in a tilted back position I will get POTSY in a hurry, not to mention neck pain. I have to be careful in yoga as well.

Guest Julia59

About two months ago I had to stop going to this salon that had extreme fumes from hair coloring/perms ect. I loved this woman, and she was excellent with my hair---but the fumes did me in. Monday was about the only day of the week the fumes were lower. She was very busy, so I often had to wait as it was difficult to get appointments on Mondays.

There is a family friend who has done my hair for years, but he is accross town. I love to see him, but it's not convenient for me. I feel kind of bad because we have known him for years. I know he understands, and I always send a lot of people to him. My Son won't go to anyone else, and now his new girlfriend goes to him as well. He just opened up his own salon about two years ago.

I just went to another salon about three weeks ago. It worked out great, and this lady did an excellent job with my hair. She is only a couple blocks away! I did not notice heavy fumes there. The sink doesn't seem to bother me with my neck issues---or my POTS. I don't ark my neck back at all for the sink, and she is very gentle because she is aware of my neck issues.

Fumes are the big issue with me---------I just cannot tolerate them at all.

Julie :0)

Katherine,

If you're noticing a pattern, your instincts are probably right. I have not had a problem with haircuts or neck positioning, though I do always ask for a couple towels to put under my neck while shampooing. Perhaps it could also be the chemical fumes used for perms & coloring? When I was young, I used to have an intolerance to perm solution -- if I smelled it, my eyes would burn horribly and I'd feel sick.

Amy

I am right there with all of you. I am fine until they tilt me backward to wash my hair. After that, I have to sit up really slow and wait a couple of minutes before I walk back to the chair to get my haircut. Also, the flourescent lighting takes its toll as well. When I was at my sickest, I had to give up going all together. I developed the "Yoko Ono" look, which was not too flattering on me :blink: .

my mother does my hair, at her house, sh is a liscnesed stylist. i wash it before hand and she does the cutting there. i haven't had a salon cut in years. never could handle the laying back, can't even do it now. i sleep at about a 50-60 degree angle, just to get a good rest.

don't perm either, but do some highlighting, no real odor in the color i use.

blackwolf

• 1 year later...

I had to search this topic today because I went to get my hair cut- first time in over a year- and almost passed out. I did not even attempt get my hair shampooed because I knew before going I could not handle the head tilt and length of time necessary to dry my hair. All I did was tilt my head DOWN for her to cut and I had to stop her. I know I scared her to death, but I thought I as going to faint.

I explained to her that I had recently been hospitalized and was still shaky. Didn't want to have to get into the whole ANS discussion. She was able to finish with my head straight up but it was a struggle for me to not get severely ill. I drank Gatorade and ate PB crackers in the car before I came home to bed. This is so incredibly frustrating. Without my port and fluids, I feel like I have taken three steps back. I know you all can relate. But a haircut? I hate dysautonomia-I really do.

I certainly can relate to this topic. I love it when I'm looking good and my hair looks good, but I despise the entire "salon thing". I hate getting there, being there, tilting backwards, sitting upright , the fumes, the activity level, the music, you name it.

I guess when I get around to it, I'll have someone come to my house. Or, I won't cut my hair for a very long time. This part of dysautonomia stinks. It really does. You feel better when you look better.

But getting to the salon is a nightmare. Yep, it is.

The mall salons would kill me. I pay way too much to go to an Aveda spa-type place. It always leaves me feeling great! You're hardly tilted back at all b/c they have adjustable chairs that lower you so that the sink is at about neck level anyway, and then recline only slightly. Then they do a head and neck massage with yummy smelling oils. My old salon (which used Alterna- also v. good) was very very calm- in an old house with antiques all around. This one is a bit more chaotic, but still no flourescent lights or annoying music, and Aveda pushes natural stuff, so no smells bother me too much. I think the key is to find a good place. You'll have to pay more, but I totally think it's worth it.

One of my first experiences of serious lightheadedness happened when I had my last perm. It was horrible because I could not leave in the middle of it. No more perms since then. I think it was a combo of the neck collar being too tight, looking down reading while waiting for the next step, the fumes, and just being too still too long.

Now I go already shampooed to someone who is always on time and does a quick cut which works for me. Still, I dread it and put it off as long as I can.

So add me to the list...

OLL

Yes, I can certainly relate!! I will be feeling fine all morning then go to the salon and come home feeling horrible. I do think it is the head tilted back at the shampoo bowl. I have started to ask for a neck pad that actually allows your head to be more upright and use the foot stool at the same time. This has helped a bit. I have to get my hair colored every 6 weeks and know it would be green if I tried it at home. I agree that just telling the stylist that you have neck issues is easier than explaining the whole pots thing. If you only getting a cut then maybe shampooing at home would help.

I thought going to the salon was supposed to be a relaxing treat?? I stress out so much that it is actually a chore!! :)

Susan

I get the same thing after having my head tilted back at the salon. I also get the same feeling tilting my head back to look in my cupboards or to view a movie screen as well--I have to sit well back in the movie theater and never in the front row. I have read that those sorts of motions are difficult for people with POTS to tolerate.

India

10 years ago my husbands aunt had a slight stroke while getting her hair washed at beauty shop. found out from drs this is not unusual!! The tilting of the head can pinch the carotids slowing blood flow. A friend who does hair says they can easily accomadate people with neck issues (she does all the time) but you need to mention it to stylist and ask for a liitle more time. The chemical odors she tries to have people come in about 10: before it starts building up in the shop. If it is a modern shop they should have air cleaners. The younger stylists are aware how the fumes may affect their health in the future too. I call if i feel a bad day coming on and they are usually happy to accomadate. they don't need word getting around that there shop makes people sick. Some stylist will come to your home and feel its part of their job for the community.

I also have a problem with going to salon. First, I will say it is difficult for me to go anywhere out and about for any length of time anyway-but can't do those sinks!! If I go to the salon, I will wash hair first and she sprays it to wet again if needed.

I have a wonderful hairdresser who actually comes to my home and does the highlights for me, as this is more involved and I am more comfortable in my own home- Not to mention the fact that I am unable to drive and have to get someone to bring me.

The problem is trying to get the eyebrows done- really works best at the salon for that - so I usually just pluck away. If I decide to try the salon, I call for same day apt. depending on how I feel. Always go with all my water, gatorade and snacks.

I was so glad to see this post. I thought I was just crazy (but I should know by now that if there is some weird symptom, just chalk it up to POTS). When I bend forward to get my hair combed out before the cut I feel really weird, disconnected like, and my ears start roaring.

i haven't been to a salon since 2003 and i got POTS in 2004 so i don't know but it does make a lot of sense as far as the shampooing, having your head back--- that has always hurt me. and the fumes too. i know when i got some fake nails that got to me pretty bad. even cleaning products aggrtivate me.

i would suggest the shampooing your self and maybe wearing a mask over your mouth and nose to cut out some of the chemicals.

dionna ;)

Hmm I don't remember having specific responses to a shampoo or haircut itself, but I don't really have much in the way of chemical sensitivities.

Other than that, salons often smell really strongly of various chemicals, and I would think that the smell itself could cause some pretty strong reactions. Places that do nails are the worst for me- I can't sit in their without getting nauseous. Yuck!

Sorry!!