Starting New Meds - Really Nervous

The doc prescribed me some amitriptyline. I guess I'm just super nervous about taking it - being a brain altering chemical and all. I've never been on anything like this, and one side affect in particular has me worries - sudden cardiac death. He said it won't happen to me, the electrical activity in my heart is normal. But it's still in the back of my head.

I guess I just need some positive reinforcement or something because I'm getting myself all worked up about this.

Has anyone else taken this? Did it seem to help?

Hi Snowdrifter,

I was prescibed it about 2 years ago when I fisrt started getting some odd symptoms of pins and needles and tension headache.

They did a lot of tests on me and found nothing but neurologists love prescibing it. A very close friend is a neuro and she says its one of their favourite drugs. It's common name is Endep. They gave it to me to help the pins and needles and it helped - they went away. I believe that it is an anti- depressant however I don't think it is often used for that - it is more for odd neuro symptoms that they give it. It made me quite tired so I couldnt have it much but it gives you a good sleep.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it until you try it. It is very commonly prescribed and each pharmaceutical company has to cover themselves for every eventuality.

I have never heard of it being used for POTS though - why are they giving it to you?

Aussie

I took amitriptyline for a year for migraines, and it was helpful for me. The downside was that it messed up my sleep a little. I only took the med at night because of the sleepiness side effect. The first night I fell asleep within 15 minutes of taking it. After about 2 weeks my body had adjusted to the side effect of sleepiness, and it didn't make me sleepy for 2 hours. The tricky thing was that once my body got used to the med, I couldn't fall asleep at all within 2 hours of taking it. So I always had to plan out my bedtime and make sure that I took amitriptyline 2 hours before I wanted to sleep. If I forgot to take it until bedtime, then I wasn't able to fall asleep for 2 hours. It was a pain in that way, but otherwise it was very helpful for me in lessening migraine symptoms.

Yeah I'm no doctor myself, but I'm definitely going to have a follow up with him because this just seems like it's not working for me lol. I know it's only 1 day, but still. I don't really want to go any further without checking in again

The doctor doesn't specialize in POTS per-se, but he sees lots of pots patients and is familiar with it because of that. He specializes in gastrointestinology

This is a drug i was recently encouraged to try, also known as elavil. I chose to try a more natural route after reading the same side effects as u. Made me very uneasy, end must justify the means for me...however, i was reading through my past medical records when i was a kid and this was a drug they first tried on me in combonation with florinef and few others. It helped my migranes and autonaumic dysfunction. I was only 6 ? At the time and tolerated it well from my records, so i hope it helps u. I may reconsider it if u have good results. Keep us posted and feel better soon =)

Yes it doesnt hurt questioning the doctor further for their reasons - like Rama I am not questioning the doctor's judgement it's just good to ask as many questions as possible and seeking a second opinion could also be good. When I got diagnosed with POTS last year I went to a neuro who told me that if Florinef didnt work there was nothing else I could try and I would just have to 'put up with it'. She was sympathetic however ultimately incorrect.

I am now on Midodrine and it appears to be helping me a lot.

Just updating you all on what's going on

Talked with the doctor, they said to cut the dose in half and see how that makes me feel. They said it might make the symptoms worse before they get better, since my body takes time to adjust.

So I'm going to try that for a week and see what happens.