Muscle Spasms

briarrose

Ok,

My doc's partner said to search the internet and I have without much luck.

I've had a few episodes over the past 3+ years of absolute extreme muscle spasms. I mean where they grab you and pull you to the floor. You can see my calves ball up. I can't stretch because I go into an instant spasm. Even holding the phone causes my hand to spasm. The worst ones are in my neck because I can't turn. So I'll have these from neck to foot when they are bad like this.

I've done everything. Increased fluids, salt, potassium, magnesium, calcium and even took quinine.

Anyone else have any suggestions pls.

Steph

Guest tearose

Maybe try an antihistamine? I only had this cramping in my big toe! I thought maybe I had gout. My doctor said to do all that you did.. especially potassium and magnesium. I felt better after two doses of children's benedryl. I can't be sure what did the trick cause I did all the above at the same time. Can you tolerate a small dose of benedryl?

feel better, tearose

Steph,

Have you been tested recently for levels of potassium, calcium, magnesium, etc. to see what you might be deficient in?

Also, sometimes muscle cramps can be a sign of impaired circulation, so vit. E and a B complex can help with circulation.

(You're not taking anything with creatine in it are you? This can increase likelihood of muscle cramps.)

Also, have you tried massage, heat or hydrotherapy on a regular basis?

I'm sorry you experience this. I know it's painful. I ocassionally get them in my neck or hands, especially if I'm holding something for a while.

Take care,

Gena

Tearose

No, never thought of using an antihistamine. Thx

Gena

I had my levels checked and they were within the normal reference range. I asked the doc if you could be having problems in these areas even if your lab is negative and he said no. He didn't have any explanation. You can watch my muscles ball up though, dang it hurts. I never thought of Vitamin E or B so I think I'll try those too. I've done the head and some massage when I'm in crisis and unable to move.

Thx for your input :D

BR, WOW, this sounds really painful. sorry you are having so much of a problem. I used to get muscle spasms in the beginning but I don't think they were as bad as you describe. Magnesium seemed to help me. Wish I knew something else to offer, but since I don't, I'll just send along my concern.

Dear Brairrose,

muscle spasms are so nasty. i get them where my arms and legs curl up towards my body, lately, i have had them running from the base of my skull(left side) down to my hip. i curl up like a really fat comma(just let the idea of that sink in, it is kinda a funny) OUCH!!! i do regular stretches to help. i am also a huge fan of complex b vitamins, just be careful if you take vitamin e, it can be very dangerous. i have also tried several muscle relaxers, finding Soma, at 350mgs, being the only one that does work without even worse side-effects than the muscle spasms. is there any certain time when you notice these spasms? ie., time of day, what you are doing, sudden changes in diet, or not having eaten?

i just came across some books you, and anyone with any type of pain, might want to read. they are writen mainly for people with peripheral neuropathy, but they are so full of info that i checked them out form our library and have hardly put them down. they are titled "Numb Toes and Aching Soles" and "Numb Toes and Other Woes" by John A. Stenneff. a very good read to me, mostly info i already knew, but some new things to try.

best of luck,

blackwolf

Geneva & Blackwolf

Thx guys. I hate not having the answers to a problem. I hate even worse that my docs can't help me.

Very interesting about the vitamin E, I had no idea. I do take different Vit B. I have tried muscle relaxers but they make my skin crawl. I do alright on Valium but haven't had any in over a year. I don't like to take it because it makes me so sleepy and I have children that come first, no matter how much pain I'm in.

I haven't figured out what causes them, I'm out of ideas. I plan on checking out the books that you recommended.

thx

Steph

Briarrose,

Heres a thought, I get these too no warning and quite upsetting. Since you have trouble with valium, which is what my neurologist gave me, part of OI. Maybe if you take half at bedtime and see if it helps or "breaks a cycle". I use xanax and now I don't worry about spazzing when I hold my grandsons!!!MPK