Licorice Is An Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor Like Mestinon

ramakentesh

yeah i was originally told I was hyper but now days despite having elevated orthostatic blood pressure Im super dizzy all the time and things that expand volume seem to work best on me. I can now tolerate caffeine quite well when in the past I couldnt at all.

i weas put on licorice and it actually reduced my blood pressure i assume by expanding volume?

Rama, you've always been a fan of licorice- now look at that. A clinical trial on mice to support it. (not too many studies out there on licorice- how'd you find this one?- impressive!)

I can only see the abstract- are these the typical ingredients in licorice? Is that candy or tea?

And how much do I need to take to replace my 120mg of Mestinon? Would be an interesting experiment.

And how much do I need to take to replace my 120mg of Mestinon? Would be an interesting experiment.

Well...Mestinon (pyridostigmine) is a peripheral cholinesterase inhibitor...it really doesn't have any central activity which is what this study looked at. Central cholinesterase inhibitors (like Aricept and rivastigmine) are used to treat Alzheimer's Disease.

Well...Mestinon (pyridostigmine) is a peripheral cholinesterase inhibitor...it really doesn't have any central activity which is what this study looked at. Central cholinesterase inhibitors (like Aricept and rivastigmine) are used to treat Alzheimer's Disease.

Very observant! Very true - in this study they are looking purely at central-acting cholinesterase whereas mestinon is reputed to not cross the blood brain barrier. Although it is plausible that centrally acting acetylcholinesterase inhibitors that act centrally would also act peripherally because many of the medications for Alzheimers do act peripheraly as well as centrally. But very good point.