Ephedrine

Kate2011

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone here is on Ephedrine. I'm going to see my cardiologist in March to see if it'll be a viable option for me (I read about it being a possible treatment for Dysautonomia), and I just wanted to know if anybody has any experience with it. My symptoms have been getting much worse recently and I need to try something new. My PC put me on Sudafed in the meantime to see if I see any positive changes and I am finding that I have more energy. I'm wondering about the side effects too though. I've been having trouble sleeping the past week or so (I've only been on the Sudafed for about a month) and idk if that's just something with the Dysautonomia or if that's a possible side effect. IDK, but I'd love input. Have anyone seen improvements after taking Ephedrine? Has anybody found another med that's worked well for them?

P.S. I've already tried Fludrocortisone and Midodrine with no positive results.

It might depend on what form of dysautonomia you have. I have POTS and I can not take cold or allergy meds with ephedrine in them because they make my tachycardia worse as ephedrine is a stimulant. But maybe other forms of dysautonomia can be helped with it. I haven't come across any information on it as a treatment option up to this point.

Ephedrine causes Tachycardia...I have POTS and can't take any meds with ephedrine in it. The last time when I took some cold medicine with ephedrine ( this is before I knew I had POTS), I fainted a couple of times. It was scary! I also remember many yrs back I took some OTC diet pills that had Ephedra in it (the FDA eventually banned them ) and it caused severe Tachycardia...it took many hours before my hear rate went back to normal. Needless to say I never took those pills again :) I don't think you should take Ephedrine if you have POTS.

What kind of Dysautonomia do you have?

This is pretty weird...The other day I thought I was taking 2 phenylephrine cold meds. I have terrible sinus problems. Usually phenylephrine does aggravate my heart a bit, but I was suffering so much I decided to try it any way. Well instead I guess I grabbed an old box of cold medicine with pseudoephrine. lol Oops. An hour after I took it, I said to myself..wow this never made me feel good before like this. I felt amazing!...LOL Well I found out my mistake not soon after that.

I was always so afraid to take that stuff because I thought it would make me more tachy, but I have to tell you I felt good. Like normal good. I have no idea why. It lasted a good 2 hours.

I used to abuse ephedra pills many many years ago when I was 17-18. Not one of my prouder moments in life, but it never caused me any additional heart issues. Looking back, I think it may have made my POTS better...

I'm not recommending anyone try this. I'm just telling you accidental discovery recently. I have not heard of anyone on here taking ephedrine. Not sure it's really a treatment option in POTS.

Ya, IDK, I've been on 60mg of Sudafed for about a month now (Dr. prescribed) and I do feel better, obviously I still have episodes but they seem to be milder. But then again I don't have a POTS diagnosis, I have Dysautonomia without any other description as far as I know. (I have exercise and orthostatic intolerance as well as a plethora of other symptoms but idk what they add up to exactly, so far though I've never have any problems with tachycardia that I know of. I actually got the idea because I spoke to woman who's on Ephedrine for her Dysautonomia. My HR IS pretty high on it, but I've been feeling better, it's weird, I haven't felt this good in years.

From what I understand it's a vasoconstrictor? So, that may be why it helps. Here's the info I found on it though:

http://www.dinet.org/what_helps.htm (under vasoconstrictors); http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dysautonomia/dysautonomia.htm (under treatment);

It's all really vague information, that's why I was so interested on others with experience with ephedrine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...