First Day On Ssri

Jacquie802

Back on Zoloft after going off of it years ago. I can't remember what it was like when I first started before...is it common to have a headache and a "weird" feeling-not quite dizziness but I feel "off" if that makes any sense? I am taking .5mg of ativan for the first few weeks so hopefully I won't have tachy starting this med (I had horrible palps and tachy with Fluoxitine).

I'm starting at 12.5mg so I'm wondering if I'll have these problems every time I increase....anyone have any advice, etc.? Also, how long do these effects last generally? I'm trying to hang in there...

Hi Jacquie802,

I haven't been on Zoloft before but I am currently on Paxil. When I started them I felt very "out of it", had headaches, was extra tired and lost my appetite so I think SSRIs can cause all sorts of symptoms until your body gets used to them. I think it took about 10 days before I stopped noticing these side effects. It is really hard at the time and you wonder if it's worth but it did get better. Paxil has really helped me. Try to hang in there! Hopefully if Zoloft agreed with you and helped you before they will again ;) I started at a low dose to try and avoid start up effects-not sure if that helped though. I moved up twice in dosage later on and didn't experience any of those horrible effects again. I think once my system was used to them the change in dose wasn't so hard on my body. Hope you start to feel better soon!

I notice that I've had some palpitations and some tachycardia. Just took an ativan to see if that would help. Anyone else have this problem?? These SSRIs are awful when first starting :0(

I'm only taking 12.5 mg of Zoloft but feel so tachy :0/. This is only day one, which makes me feel even worse. I'm going to try and hang in here...

Thank you for all your kind words! Today isn't too bad; I'm going to take the Zoloft around dinner time so I don't feel so "weird" during the day.

Hi Jacquie,

Now starting on my 3rd try for ssri/snri, I can tell you that it is awful in the beginning. Fatigue, tachy, dizzy, nauseous, out of it....Try to get through it. I have found that they have really helped my pots. A benzo has helped me get through those days. I don't know Zoloft doses, but I would start with a 1/4 of a "regular" dose, and only go up from there after a full 4 weeks, if you are not feeling any better. Crazymeds is a good resource.

Good luck!

Abby

Hi Abby, my dr wanted me to start at 25mg and I said no way! I am taking 12.5 mg currently and plan to be on it for at least 2 weeks before I go up. If I go up its going to be very slowly...

I did it differently lol. I hate havng to go through months up uping the dosage,so i just took the full dose of lexapro all at once and uffered through two weeks of misery. Good news is all those horrible syptoms do go away, and I had an amazing benefit from it. Dont give up. Remember, it takes a good six weeks for a normal person to get positive benefits. I found the first week ws the hardest.

Dani, I was toying of the idea of taking the whole amount but the headache and tachy on the 12.5 was horrible. I wonder if I'll have the same problems each time I increase..?

When are you taking your Zoloft? My son's doctor told us not to give it to him until about 30 minutes before he goes to bed so the side effects won't bother him. He takes 50mg at night. Zoloft makes him too tired if he takes it during the day.

For me, I just wanted to get it over as soon as possible. I def understand why people move up slowly, but my SO was going out of town at the time, and I didn't have months to deal with it.

I have started up SSRI twice before. One I just took the full amount, and the other,.I took a fourth of a pull. Honestly, they both sucked. I was a but worse with the higher dose, but both times put me in bed for the first couple weeks, so it's not a huge difference.

I am taking my Zoloft at dinner time.