Inaugural Ball + Dysautonomia = Anxious Me

ophelialit

Wellllll, here I am with what might be the dumbest "problem" ever...a close friend who works in the political arena has managed to snag a handful of tickets to one of the official Inaugural Balls tomorrow night, and, generously, she's invited me and my husband to attend with her and her fiancee. My first reaction? THRILLED! Glitz, glamour, a fabulous gown, celebrities galore, a chance to honor my main man Obama...so, naturally, we accepted with great thanks. Now here I am the day before the event...and I'm beside myself with anxiety...so much so that I'm just about to barf from the sheer panic (nothing says glitz and glamour like barf!).

When we accepted, I hadn't considered the logistics of the whole thing--driving into the city (I'll have to drive by myself as my husband is a ranger with the Nat'l Park Service and has to report for duty at 5am). Navigating around the road closures, traffic and 800,000 of my closest friends will NOT be fun. Standing in line for the security check is a recipe for a POTS disaster, and then, to top it off, being surrounded by thousands of people in a huge convention center with nothing but noise and bright lights! :o I might as well just pass out now and be done with it!

I know this is a once-in-a-lifetime/bucket list opportunity (EVERYONE has told me multiple times, thanks), but all I can think is EEEEEEEEK! And I'm more than a little angry at this disorder that ONCE AGAIN is doing its level best to poo on my parade (this is beyond merely peeing on my parade)...what to do, what to do? Sighhhhh...

Hey abbyw,

I've considered that, but I'm really not sure who'd I'd contact for an event of this magnitude, and I really don't want to be a pain in the bum with my "special needs." I'm half considering just telling my husband to go on without me and take lots of pics...I'm just not sure I'm up for all this entails... :(

I know its not the same but when I went to see U2 last summer I had a friend drive, brought bottled water, earplugs and wore compression stockings....I also carried a small handheld fan in my bag. (oh and took 1/2 an ativan before I left ;)...... Not sure what they will allow you to have on you security wise but maybe some of those things would help for coping. I found the earplugs to be very helpful with drowning out some of the external stimulation so I wasn't too overexposed. I was very glad in the end that I went and I ended up being able to cope for most of the night afterall.....I was a mess for about a week after but it was worth it :) I hope you are able to go and enjoy this once in a lifetime experience....this illness robs us of so much.......good luck......crossing my fingers for you!

Bren

I say go for it. I know that an inaugural ball has the potential to be a nightmare for someone with POTS, but I think you should at least try it. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. You may not make it very far, but at least you won't regret not making the effort. Do you know anyone that could loan you a wheelchair for a night?

I worked for Hillary Clinton before I got sick, so I absolutely love political events like this one. Hope that you feel up to going and that you have a great night with your husband.

Definitely go for it. For many of us, our bodies kick in to high gear to get us thru events like this. I would take the train, taxi, stay in a hotel or do whatever to make it easier, more comfortable. Load up on water, take extra meds,etc so you are prepared. let us know how it goes!!!! So exciting!