Does Salt Actually Help?

terradactyl

I saw a new doctor this week, but he wasn't willing to prescribe me something before running more tests. He said since my symptoms had been goin on for so long and I was still ok, that one more month to confirm a diagnosis wouldn't hurt. In the meantime all he said was that salt is my friend an to eat as much as I can.

The salt advice seems pretty standard, but I was just wondering if anyone on here had seen any improvement in fainting/lightheadedness just from an upped salt/water intake, or how much you had to take in before it made any difference.

I want to actually make an effort this time, but I don't wanna go all out if it won't actually help.

Terradactyl,

As you wil read on here quite often, everyone is different. In my case, I was told to increase my salt/water as well. Personally, it didn't help me at all and in fact led to some hypertension. I have tried extra salt on foods, Gatorade, and salt tablets. When I was dx. the dr. told me that he couldn't/wouldn't prescribe (what he considered the "only" medication to treat POTS) Florinef as my bp didn't drop significantly but increased during the TTT and I could experience hypertension as a result of taking the meds. So he told me to increase my salt??? Anywho, I had a bout with hypertension (not sure if it was salt induced as I had had been dx with hypertension before being dx with POTS) and am now on BB's prescribed by my GP and doing better. BTW, I don't faint.

It is my understanding that by increasing salt intake, it helps to retain fluid which in turn increases our blood volume (always research and ask your dr.)

Hope you get some answers and relief :)

When my son was diagnosied with POTS our cardiologist said to drink lots of water and salt food heavily. However, his blood pressure kept falling out the more active he tried to get like 62/42. He never passed out on us but it scared his pt. By luck our cardioloist called our home when this incident happened and actually talked to the physical therpist and my husband. My son's midodrine and flornif was increased. We were told to get thermotabs and give it with these meds and monitor his blood pressure daily. By monitoring his blood pressure, I was able to tell when he was getting enough salt or too much. My son takes 8-10 grams of salt a day. He uses the thermotabs when he has not ate and needs to take his meds. He does use the regular salt tabs after meals. My advice is to start monitoring blood pressure daily and add salt as needed until you find what works for you.

I'm on iv fluids day and night with sodium now ... But, at first I didn't realize how much I was sweating , the IBS, and the swings of my BP... I knew nothing at first, and when I confessed GI issues @ my 3 rd visit . I thought that was why this monster was called POTS. We are all different, I have to be pumped up to maintain a bit of high BP to keep me from the lows and fainting.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that everything works out just fine for you.

; )

Do you have low or lower BP? At first I didn't beleive that salt worked for me. But I got into the routine of drinking broth 2x day and when I did, I felt much better. You really have to stick to some kind of routine and make sure you are getting enough salt, both of which are hard to do.