atenolol vs. Toprol XL

danelle

I have been on atenolol for over 18 yrs now and it isn't working as well as it used to. I take 37.5mg/day and sometimes an extra 12.5-25mg depending on my tachy. TThe only problem is that my BP runs 90's/50-60's on my regular dose and when I add the extra it drops into the 80's.

I was thinking about trying Toprol xl that releases trhoughout the day but am afraid to. Before I started the atenolol, I had tried so many other beta blockers and calcium channel blockers that I don't know what the Toprol will do. I just don't want it to make my arrythmias or tachy worse or lower my BP more.

Anyone out there had experience with one or both? Your advice and experience would be greatly appreciated. :lol:

So far so good on toprol xl, but it's only been a couple months. I don't have a clue what my blood pressure is doing b/c I don't have a cuff or meter... I only know when I feel crappy (read: short of breath, tired, low energy, squiggly inside, shakey... like now!) and I can usually trace it back to not enough salt, water, electrolytes, sleep and too much walking while carrying things (like packages and a coat! Why is it 70 degrees today?!? I hate sudden onset of warm weather ... actually, I hate it any time at all, and 70 is feeling too darn hot). I digress; sorry!

the nice thing about toprol is that you can take it once a day and fahgeddaboudit ... I take mine before bed w/my ambien.

best,

m

I took Atenolol, starting at 25mg and went to 50mgs with occasional 25mgs for nite, for about 2 years and then switched to Toprol XL 50mgs once a day. I changed for two reasons, 1. atenolol wasn't working so well for me, 2. I could receive Toprol XL for FREE. It works pretty good for me. I have also noticed that when I changed brands that my blood pressure dropped only just after the dose(nite is when I take it) and not again.

best of luck

blackwolf

Hello,

I was on Toprol. I currently went off to try and have a baby. I really liked Toprol and I felt better on it. I was taking 75 mg a day. It worked wonders for me. I would take 25mg in the morning then 50mg at night. My blood pressure did drop but my heart rate slowed down and it felt good for once that my breathing appeared normal. While I was on Toprol I could walk up stairs without getting winded. Now that I am off, I notice a difference and I can't wait to go back on it. For me, Toprol worked great.

Good Luck,

Christine

i find i have to rotate them when they arent as effective at controlling the tachycardia, but i notice the toprol, since its time released, does a better job of keeping my bp from changing so drastically, it keeps it more stable, even if its low, it doesnt jump around so much, but i still need to take a little of atenolol, like half tablet to help control the harder beating, hope i helped!, i need to rotate them to keep them working,

radha