Every Night!

puppylove

Every night I'm up until at least 2:00 am. Normally because of stomach issues, especially nausea. Would a sleeping pill help? I'm really up for trying anything because it just makes everything so much worse.

I have the same problem and there are a couple of things i try to help me sleep.One thing that really helps is have someone rub your feet and press certain parts of the toes and foot.(like reflexology)If you have someone at home who could do this for you it really helps.When i don't have that option i put some relaxing music on my laptop and do a meditation exercise to relax my muscles.Youtube has a lot of interesting clips which may help you.I can post you some on a private message if you are interested.I wouldn't suggest sleeping pills because the side effects are more than the benefits.Another solution is valeriana or verbena which are both herbs which help me relax.However because of GERD i am not supposed to drink fluids before i go to sleep so i don't recommend it if you suffer from acid reflux.

Try some herbal tea. I use the sleepy time. It seems to help. I also like the ginger and peppermint tea. These help with the nausa. I also keep a container of peppermint candy around.

I had a lot of problems sleeping too and I was afraid to take sleeping pills because I was a single mom at home alone with a 2 and 4 year old at the time so my doctor started me out on a very low dose which was plenty for me and it was amazing! I don't take them anymore, although right now I wish I had more since I'm having problems sleeping again. I might have to try the herbal tea thing :)

I have this problem too. Last night I was so nauseous I could taste vomit but of course nothing happened. I have severe gerd also so can't drink anything after dinner or I suffer worse. Most nights I stay up until I can't anymore, usually ends up to be about 4am, and then I have to get up at 7 to get the kids ready for school. THEN my symptoms are worse from lack of sleep. It's quite irritating because my nausea is somewhat tolerable when I wake up. There's something about nights, my nausea kicks into full gear around 4-5pm. It's a lose lose. I see my neuro tomorrow and this will be the first thing I bring up. I can let you know what she suggests. I can't take sleep aids, not even tylenol pm or I'm so groggy the next day. I've tried OTC nausea meds which are basically just sugar, ginger ale, ginger candy, zofran, phenegran, reglan. Nothing helps. Oddly enough, the candy smarties can help but that's a hit and miss type deal.

I use 3mg of melatonin every night, and this helps me a lot with falling asleep and staying asleep. I've tried prescription pills, which give me a great night's sleep, but they leave me too groggy the next day.

If I'm nauseated at night, I have found that a cup of peppermint tea and/or ginger root capsules help a lot with the nausea. Sleeping on my side makes me less nauseated, too, than sleeping on my back.

I hope you can find something that helps you. Nausea and insomnia is not fun!

Rachel

Im seeing my gastronuero about a a possible gastric pace maker, as in 5 years i have tried so many tablets it has done nothing!!!! I will let you all know what is said to me about having one at the end of the month. I do know the success rate for nausea if excellent. Buts is drastic steps but one i would be prepared to take as i am sick if being sick!

I've been taking very low dose Seroquel (an antipsychotic, though at very low doses it acts as a sedative) for many years now. It does help me fall asleep when I have mild nausea, but if the nausea is particularly bad, or I wake up with bad nausea, I find it doesn't make me fall back asleep, so I'm awake and nauseous. Strangely, what helps me (especially when woken in the middle of the night by severe nausea) is eating goldfish (my gold standard for antinausea snacks, amusingly), reading a comforting book, and snuggling up in my bathrobe, pillow, and blanket... on the bathroom floor. For some reason the change of environment (plus easy access to the toilet for vomiting!) helps me fall asleep again.

Thanks for the ideas- I will try them.I have tried peppermint and Ginger teas or nibbling pretzels but it only helps for a few minutes.

I feel the same way Peregrine! I used to have everything in my bathroom. Laptop, radio, butt pillow, blanket, books. I would sit in there for 8-14 hours a day. I don't have my own bathroom now so can't hog it with 7 other people in the house so try to suck it up. Now I have a trash can next to my bed just in case. I tried explaining to my husband it's a comfort thing. I don't think I can physically vomit, I've had 3 nissen surgeries, but just the fact that I'm in the bathroom helps.

I tried prescription meds, herbal supplements, teas, soothing music etc for my sleepless nights. The only thing that works occasionally for me is hot linden tea with honey. Thank goodness that insomnia hasn't been an issue lately.

You mention nausea, which I cannot complain about, and it's unfortunate that ginger is only a temp fix as a lot of people swear by it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Best,

Alex

i was going to ask if you tried ginger tea, but then saw your post.. have you tried real ginger candies or crystalized ginger, pickled ginger(the pink kind that comes with susui) or minced ginger with honey?

slippery elm, lemonbalm, cinnamon and catnip(has been known to help with sleep too) teas can help with nausea too...