Is This Normal For The Mornings?

Machair

In bad patches when I wake up I am drenched in sweat- usually around 4-6am. I often feel full of adrenaline then and try to keep calm until it settles. When severe it will persist and then I may have a urgent trip to the bathroom (loose bowels). Sometimes dizzy too but not every time.

Luckily this isn't every day but it is when I am very potsy, and generally follows a day when I have tried to do something challenging. Shopping and standing in queues will also make me feel adrenaline filled and often requires toilet trips too. Can anyone identify with this and any ideas how to stop it.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago, actually wet the bed,sorry TMI. Woke up super sweaty, blood pressure was very high and couldn't control my bladder. It happened in the middle of the night, called the dr. ...He feel asleep on the phone.

I do have intersitial cystitis. I can go to the bathroom up to 20 or more times a day and it have nothing to do with fluid intake. It will burn like a bladder infection. I have had a few infections along with this. At times my bladder wasn't emptying very well, seemed it took forever to empty. the flow was very slow and weak. I am now taking flomax and it has helped some.

Sorry you had such a scary time. Hope you can rest up and recop from the extra walking and outings.

this may not help, but have you been tested for either sleep apnea or night terrors or night panic attacks?

Im on cpap, breathing machine, but when i get major leaks or sleep on my back (a no no with apnea) i get

really nasty nightmares every time, snoring, and then wake up feeling like frankenstein with heavy pulse.

I dont recall sweating but ive got lots of other symptoms.

Machair,

When I first got sick, I experienced exactly what you are describing and I also would vomit with it sometimes too. I would have to strip the bed and change my clothes because they would be soaked with sweat. Some nights when it wouldn't settle down, I ended up laying on the bathroom floor the rest of the night because I would be too weak to get back to bed afte the third or fourth sprint to the bathroom. The nightmares were horrific and sometimes of the kind where you wake up still panicking and aren't sure what is real and what was in your dreams!

I was actually treated for Lyme and Babesiois with antibiotics and that stopped this particular pattern of symptoms. I do still have GI symptoms but not from this type of episode. I am not saying you have Lyme, but if it is a possibility, you might want to get checked.

Hope you get to the bottom of it. I know it was probably the worst time of my illness.

Katie

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.... I am a bit brain foggy tonight but this might be useful (?).... My nutritionist suggested that these night terror/sweating episodes might be explained by the idea that the liver is de-fragging (sorry, my term, not hers) around that time of the early hours of the morning. She said it happens at while we sleep because the process is so exhausting we wouldn't cope with it if we were awake. Something about toxins (or was it hormones?) being released into the blood stream at that time.

I have also heard that if you have excess oestrogen that can cause night sweats.

But best to google it if these ideas ring bells for you. Just thought I would share in case it is useful.

:blink:

There is a name for this in POTS - when you can all of a sudden get tachy, sweaty and have to rush to the bathroom. I've had it and others have posted about it - but I can't remember what it is called or find the old posts for you. Mine never happened in my sleep, but It could be that your BP is dropping too low while you sleep and your body is dumping adrenaline to try to bring it up.

But there are other reasons it could be happening too - not related to POTS. Maybe you can get a sleep study to figure out what is going on.

I have this happen. I have very restless sleep. My dr did a sleep study & we found that I don't get deep sleep and my heart rate goes crazy when i sleep consistently shooting up over 150 a number of times over 190. It's like my body can't slow down & keeps making adrenaline circuits.

There is an EDS dr in Maralynd, dr Alan Pocinki, who believes this is an autonomic sleep disturbance. The constant making of adrenaline stops the body from being able to rest and repair further burning out our nervous system and causing more exhaustion that needed during the day. He's found that beta blockers at bed time help to improve. It'd very much trial and error in finding which works. My dr started my on a bb on august & I am sleeping better.

My BP drops when I sleep. And I can experience some of these same symptoms. I'm a low BP POTS person so if it's been too low during the day I'll salt before bed....usually helps. I know we all have our little nuggets of things that help us manage and somethings don't work for all. I'm not even sure that salting before you sleep is a bad thing....but it helps my body to maintain a little salt during a time when my BP's drop, I get fainty and lose hydration thru night sweats. (Not sexy by the way)