Flu Vaccine-- Help!

L4UR3N

My employer has decided to make it mandatory for all health care workers to get the flu vaccine. I have never had the flu vaccine, and NEVER want it. I am probably one of the rare nurses who believes it does more harm then good (after all, nurses are supposed to encourage people to get it!)

What I am looking for is any evidence that it could potentially make POTS or EDS worse. In order to be exempt they need hard, factual proof. Unfortunately they have not given me much time to find this proof, so I need your help!!!

Anyone know of any research articles that may be useful?

If you read the insert and look at the studies you will realize that the flu shot actually does nothing to prevent the flu. That alone seems to be enough to say I don't want to take the risks that come with vaccinations especially when my body is already in a fragile state from POTS or EDS. There is no such thing as a "mandatory" vaccine in the country. There are exemptions and they are super easy to get as I have done this with my daughter for school. Not sure how it works with an employer, but I can't imagine they could force you to inject something into your body against your will or even fire you for it.

There are 3 types of flus every season, so they only have a third of a chance of getting the vaccine right for the type that decides to emerge, anyway. Those odds are bad enough...I forgot to say that earlier, then there are the side effects, because any time you get something injected in your body, too, depending how your immune system is working at the time, you could be at risk. The only flu vaccine I received was back in the 70's for the Swine flu....I was in nursing school back then, and didn't know any better. It was free, and the nursing department at my university was promoting it, so I got the vaccine. I haven't had one since...I've had the flu probably a hand full of times in my life; that's once a decade. A virus did trigger my dysautonomia, so I am very careful not to be around sick people.

I looked and found many posts on this site and others from POTs people saying a vaccine (flu included) triggered or worsened POTS symptoms. However, I could not find any articles stating the flu shot or any vaccine might worsen POTS though. Would a Doctor's note work? Could your Doctor write a letter stating something like with all of our sensitivities and the unpredicable nature of our condition that it might worsen your symptoms and therefore is not worth the risk? Are you prone to bad reactions?

I am definitely prone to bad reactions, and though they say there is no way to get the flu from the vaccine I have seen it time and time again. People get the vaccine and then get sick,...while I never seem to get it without the vaccine, lol. A viral illness also provoked my POTS to get significantly worse. ....and then there is the whole mercury issue. Ironically a high level of mercury in your body can cause POTS like symptoms :P.

Im not entirely sure how they are legally able to enforce it, but they are. Basically if you do not comply then you will be terminated. They will excuse people who either have severe allergic reactions to the vaccine, or who have had Guillain Barre. Otherwise, you are pretty much made to get it!!! :(

I found that when I take vaccines of any type, I have a hyper-response. I wouldn't call it an "allergy" but, I get achy, low grade fever, and just feel run down and exceptionally tired. I think it is because of the immune response from my body - it goes into "hyper drive" while it is producing new antibodies. I would imagine that since I have an autoimmune dysautonomia, I am more sensitive to the response from the vaccine. May be the same for some of you.

I do feel vaccines are important and if they can be tolerated, we should take them. If you have ever had the flu that turned into raging pneumonia, you would understand where I am coming from. Dysautonomia is miserable enough without adding a serious illness to the mixture. Most vaccines don't claim to "prevent" but, to perhaps lessen the symptoms if you develop the condition. I'm not the expert but, I work in a health-care environment and understand that if the entire staff comes down with the "flu" and is out, then who is left to care for the patients? - This is especially important should there be a pandemic of a particular disease. I have also seen children afflicted with diseases that are readily preventable or manageable had they only received vaccines - instead, they suffered permanent damage from lack of immunization. Very sad indeed.....

Rissy,

I got away without the flu vaccine by telling my employer that I am allergic to eggs. I believe the culture for the vaccine is made using egg-whites if I am not mistaken. Just an idea. May be worth a try?!

Alex

I, too, have an egg allergy (low grade as it is) and was exempt to opt out of getting my flu shot for several years. My allergist agreed to not get Flu shot due to my non patient desk job. Flu shots are incubated in chicken eggs and pick up the proteins from the shells. There is a nasal spray, which I believe has thimerisol or some other preservative, as wel as MSG in it. I got out of both types of flu shots.

I then got my allegist to write a note to get me out of the mandatory TB screening shots (worked in office with NO patient contact) due to my longterm history of drug reactions. The next year they stopped making it mandatory annual testing and now only test if in contact with known TB patient.

I hear you on the mercury! I will take other vaccines, I just don't like the vaccine schedule today compared with 25 years ago. Way too many vaccines given at one time, all packaged with multiple preservatives, antibiotics, and other stuff. Many don't even know they can ask for any meds, including vaccines, from a single dose vial, free of preservatives!!!

Lyn

Found these on the CDC website.

List of ingredients in vaccines. Check out the influenza vaccines from 2011. Egg protein is the least of my issues. I have documented reactions to several of the antibiotics, as well as MSG and preservatives used. Maybe you do too? And who wants formeldeyde injected in them? There are quite a few mast cell degranulators in here as well, in case that could be your justification.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf

Basic information here.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/vaccine-decision/ingredients.html

Lyn

Unfortunately listing egg allergy is an unacceptable excuse to them, unless you have had a documented anaphylactic reaction from it. Apparently even intolerances dont count. ....I really dont see how this can be legal for them to force us to get it!!!

I've had this same issue the past couple years with the hospital where I worked forcing us to get flu vaccinations. I've never had the flu, but do get sick every time I get the flu vaccine (not with the flu but with some other cold type illness). Tried getting an excuse from my POTS doc last year because I figured being sick after getting the vaccine would aggravate my ANS issues. He wouldn't buy it, because he was convinced that if I got the flu, it would make the ANS stuff much worse and because HE had to get flu vaccines where HE works! Think it's becoming national policy to force this on people.

I recall a post with a link of a woman whose mom was a nurse and was forced to have the flu shot. She was a healthy person and then because of the shot got Gilliuan Barre and is now wheel chair bound and can't take care of herself. My dad got Gilluan Barre from a flu shot. I have almost NO immunity to pneumonia - but, because of seeing what Gilliuan Barre can do to a person ---I rather take my chances of dying from pneumonia. Maybe, showing this video of this woman may make an impact. With there already being autonomic dysfunctions - we don't want another issue added. I do believe that a polio vaccine is what triggered my issues as a child. Hope you can get them to make exceptions.

Issie

I will it be getting the flu vaccine again. I was told that it does more harm than good when your already in the hole, such as having a weakened immune system, etc. I just need my body to focus on healing and not making flu antibodies. (epstein Barr is enough work)

I don't know of any articles I thought it had a warning on theire about nervous system disorders. I know I have autonomic neuropathy so that worries me. Can you use something like that maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

I got out of it--for now-- by changing employers! lol. I was looking for a new job anyway ;) . This was just an added excuse. It worries me though because this seems to be a growing trend to force health care workers to be vaccinated. Pretty sure it's only a matter of time until my new employer requires it too. :wacko: