What Causes Floaters?

NMPotsie

Anyone know why I get these black spots and squiggly lines in my vision? Some days they are so bad I can't read the computer screen. I know vision issues can be part of POTS. These come and go, especially when my bp is up or down significantly.

Does anyone have a theory about the cause?

I don't know what causes this, but I experience this too. It was at its worst a few days ago when I looked at the computer screen and it was all fuzzy. I often get this peripherally as well, so I look twice to see if there is a bug crawling across the floor. As I'm discovering with most symptoms lately, it seems to be exacerbated by heat.

Floaters, as far as I know, are clusters of cells and cell debris in your vitreous humor. Generally harmless; some folks have a few and some have a lot. Certain conditions (such as palinopsia, which I have, and seemingly POTS too) do make you more aware of them - most other folks seem to tune them out unless they're looking up at the sky. Floaters are usually clear, though - the black spots and squiggles sound like something maybe a bit different. The BP link makes sense, though - for example, consistent high blood pressure can affect the eyes in a negative fashion. Have you talked with your neurologist about it (I forget if you're seeing a neuro or a cardio)? Might consider a neuroopthamologist too.

Floaters caused by something in the eye (as peregrine described) should only be visible in one eye or should be different in each eye. If what you are seeing is exactly the same in both eyes, it is most likely coming from the brain.

It doesn't sound like this is what you are experiencing, but ocular migraines (sometimes called acephalgic migraines) can often initially present as bright squiggly lines that are the same in both eyes and eventually complety obscure the visual field.

Ah, flyingsquirrel, thanks for the reminder/clarification! My tracers (the palinopsia) are present in both eyes; we know they're CNS (brain) in origin, specifically probably due to some weird activity in areas MST and MT (I get extra tracers in both in/out directions due to MST and sideways/up and down due to MT).

No problem. I don't know anything really about palinopsia so thanks for the info.

The eye-based floaters are really kind of interesting (I think). The most common ones are due to age-related degenerative changes to the vitreous humor. Pretty much everyone (eventually) gets these. When we are fetuses, the central retinal artery continues through vitreous humor to the lens of the eye. By the time we are born, the intraocular portion (called the hyaloid artery) has degnerated and the artery "ends" at the retina. In most people the path that the artery took (hyaloid canal) also completly degenerates, but in some people it doesn't and this is what causes most floaters in young people.

Thanks so much for responding. I don't notice them being bright; they are black, and are dots and lines that move with my eyes; when I roll them up the things move, though slightly behind the motion of my eye; same with down and side to side. They kind of end up in the middle of my vision, though the lines are all over the place at times. I will ask my neuro when I see him in September, but they seem to be getting worse and are a real annoyance. Again, they come and go, which is just weird. :)

All about peace: Bugs, yes! We have centipedes in this area and when these things are bad I'm constantly running over to check if it's a centipede. My husband gets so irritated.

I was told by my ophthamalogist, that my floaters are caused by the mucousy material at the back of your eye coming loose and floating around in your eye. It usually is harmless. She said to keep from bending over at the waste, as that can make it worse. I noticed, that if I squatted instead of bending, it got better--apparently they do absorb over time.

Linda

they are black, and are dots and lines that move with my eyes; when I roll them up the things move, though slightly behind the motion of my eye; same with down and side to side. They kind of end up in the middle of my vision, though the lines are all over the place at times.

That's pretty consistent with them being in your eye, then - the slight lag behind the motion of the eye is due to the fact that vitreous humor is fairly thick liquid, so things move slightly more slowly in it. My floaters do that too (the palinopsia, being brain not eye, doesn't).

I have been getting these off and on more in one eye then the other for the past several years. This year tho I have had one difference. The floaters in the new eye to be affected are proceeded by a day or two of nystagmus. This is a horizontal rapid oscilliation in this case. I don't know what causes that part. Once the floaters were fairly massive. They do tend to fade over time and go away. Sometimes there is more time between new events. The first time it happened I was rather startled by it and called my eye doctor. He had me come in so he could examine my eyes. He told me to watch out for flashes of light and if that ever happened I was to come in immediately as it might be a detatched retina. I have never had that happen tho thank goodness.

Are they floaters or could it be a vitreous detachment? The floaters I had were like a round black dot floating through my visual path. My Vitreous detachments look like black spider webs or strings. The opthamologist says to always have VD checked immediately. It could be something more serious. I wouldn't wait.

I have lots of floaters, lights and weird flashes that get stuck in my vision. After seeing about 5 eye docs with each of them giving me a different opinion, I gave up on trying to figure it out. .It's been 3 years or more since this all started, so I've just had to get used to it.

Hopefully it is nothing serious in your case and I def think you should see an ophthamologist. They will dilate your eyes and give them a full exam. I'm warning you that exam was pretty intense for me...I was white knuckling the armrest and it sent me into an NE rush every single time. HA!