Coming Off An Ssri (Lexapro)

So, I had a physical today for just a good all around check up with the PCP. It's a long story but he originally prescribed my lexapro but I didn't decide to take it until after the POTS diagnosis from someone else. The PCP says that since I haven't seen any kind of improvement (which I'm in such bad shape right now, I don't remember from a year ago if it helped anything or not) He said to stop taking it. He said just quit it, but I always thought I heard you should gradually ween off.

Please share your experiences with stopping an SSRI. Did it help, hurt, cause symptoms, etc etc???

Thanks

Traci

i would definitely not stop cold turkey, and i would not listen to that guy! i have weaned very slowly in the past, and yes, it does cause symptoms like dizziness. how long have you been on it? if you google you will see lots of information about tapering off of antidepressants slowly.

i recently tried to get off of mine and failed miserably. my dysautonomia got worse when i weaned off. but everyone is different.

Thanks Anoj. Which one do you take?

I've been on 10mg for a little over a year now. I just did google and now I'm more freaked out, I read all the possible side effects, arrrg. Part of me wants to not mess with it and just stay on. But maybe there is a chance I could feel better by not taking it, who know, like you said, everyone is different.

I have just weaned off Wellbutrin (which is not an SSRI technically). Have been off 2 1/2 weeks. Weaned off over the course of a month. I had been on it for 8 years. It was (and still is) a major struggle getting/staying off it. Lots of symptoms although they seem to be more intense versions of what i was already having rather than a lot of new ones but now I'm a lot more emotionally labile as well. Hasn't been fun. BUT- I always found Wellbutrin to be really helpful. If you didn't find the lexapro to be helpful, you may not have an issue stopping it.

Good luck!

Thanks Anoj. Which one do you take?

I've been on 10mg for a little over a year now. I just did google and now I'm more freaked out, I read all the possible side effects, arrrg. Part of me wants to not mess with it and just stay on. But maybe there is a chance I could feel better by not taking it, who know, like you said, everyone is different.

don't freak out. you can handle this. :) i am on zoloft. i take the lowest therapeutic dose, 50 mg. when i weaned, i alternated a full pill with a half pill every other day for about 3 weeks, then cut down to a half a pill a day for about 3 more weeks, etc. that is slower than a doctor will tell you to wean.

Hi Misstraci!

I've been trying to get rid of the SSRI's I'd been on for some years a few times and didn't succeed. When I tapered off to 10mg's my doctor thought I could just quit the 10mg's, but it turned out I couldn't. So I called him and we agreed on tapering further. In the end it didn't work out for me (hr shot up again) and I got back on them.

What I'm trying to say is that I think tapering off might be better than just stopping but if I were you I'd call my doctor to discuss this. Wishing you good luck!

Corina :)