Arrythmia

dawn

Do most people notice alot more irregular heart rhythms when they do things with their arms above their heads. Actually I used to notice with any extended time use of arms (mowing lawn, raking, shoveling). Now if I paint or hang a picture or even wash the tile in the tub it seems my heart gets very irregular.

Dawn

Yes, I get this too when I lift my arms over my head. Washing my hair is especially brutal, which is why I do it seated in the shower. I can take my time with plenty of breaks with my arms to my sides. I also get a weird blood rushing thing--with arms up, the feeling goes out of my arms as I can feel the blood draining downwards; lower my arms and the blood rushes back with a tingling feeling. It's sooo hard to describe! Happens all the time in yoga and is quite annoying. The irregular heart rate has normalized somewhat with beta blockers, though. You're definitely not alone in this!

Merrill

Yep, typical POTS. I have the same problem. Fortunately, batting my eyelashes innocently at the nearest male usually does the trick for whatever I'm reaching for, lifting up or doing over my head. Except for the pesky washing the hair thing. Now, if I could just convince my husband that I always need someone to shower with me... :huh:

Guest tearose

Yes dawn, I get this too!

Have you also noticed if you get arrhythmia when drinking cold water? It was so weird standing at the counter drinking cold water to feel the flips and then see my heart rate go from 110 to 135! :)

Needless to say, I sit down to drink cold water now!

tearose

Yes dawn, I get this too!

Have you also noticed if you get arrhythmia when drinking cold water?  It was so weird standing at the counter drinking cold  water to feel the flips and then see my heart rate go from 110 to 135!  :)

Needless to say, I sit down to drink cold water now!

tearose

Hi dawn,

I also feel this way. Sometimes when I am fixing my hair or putting on my makeup I have to sit down and wait a few minutes. Also when I clean the house I need to take breaks. I guess this is a common issue for people with POTS. I have learned to take breaks and it seems to help.

Christine

yeah, I also get it when I lie down and lift both my legs up- I actually black out if I lift them more than about 30-45 degrees. Dr. Khurana said this is a particular POTS thing- a sign of true POTS issues. They just started studying it. You have to remember though that the name is POSTURAL Orthostatic Tachycardia, which means that changes in posture can cause trouble. I think the arms about the head is one of them. It is related to changes, particularly rapid changes, in blood flow. Arms or legs up, blood drains and the body goes crazy. Lucky us. I went to a pilates mat class last week and it was great because we stayed on the ground the whole time, but I stupidly forgot about the leg things and out I went. I came to quickly, took a drink and continued. The teacher told me I could try this leg lift thing where I put my legs in a diamond shape (knees bent, heels touching, feet turned out) and lift only enough to get the feeling of the muscle strain in the thighs and abdomen. I did not pass out and did well actually. I wonder if there is a modification for the arms? I wonder why this change made a huge difference too.

Leah

I have noticed this a lot too in the past. I try to avoid doing things that cause my arms to be above my head (other than the neccesary things like washing hair, or reaching up in the cabinet) but I do get tachy when I do yoga exercises, which involve a lot of postures with hands above the head.