Florinef

Timbo

I just got my latest shipment of florinef from the VA. I am used to small, round white tablets. This shipment I got yellow oblong (football shaped) pills. Has anyone ever seen florinef tablets like this? I am not taking them until I confirm they are indeed florinef. I have a backup supply to keep me going for a few weeks, just in case.

Hello! My name is Kelli and I was just diagnosed with POTS and was prescribed Flornief. I have been a pharmacy technician for 3 years and the generic Florinef we stock is yellow and oblong. This is the tablet I have been taking. However, you should always check with your local pharmacist to verify the medication is correct. There is no regulation with drug companies to make the same color or shape of any medication the same with all companies. Different manufacturers will produce different color, shape, and sizes of the same medication. Always check with pharmacist if you have any doubt.

Hope this is helpful.

Tim, I think you are right to ask questions before taking. When I first started Florinef I got a small round pink pill. Then 2 years later it was a white round one and like you, I was concerned. I went back to the pharmacist and he said he had changed manufacturers. It is always good to check when there is a change.

Hi Tim, my generic florinef was exactly as you described. Check the lable of your bottle--mine actually said "Generic" on it, then I called the pharmacy just to double check. As stated here a number of times already, if in doubt, don't take it until you get confirmation. Nina

Nina,

Here are a couple pictures. The pills have what looks like a reverse "P" or the number 9 on one side and the number 997 and the fraction 1/10 on the other side. Do your pills look like these and have the same markings?

01.jpg

02.jpg

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by Timbo

:) Well, I no longer have the bottle because I stopped taking florinef a few months ago. Sorry Tim! :(

those pics look familiar, but I wouldn't take my word for it! The PDR used to be available through a few sites for free, but now it's a pay-for-service thing only. I would either go to the library as Michelle suggested, or call the pharmacy and ask them to describe what the generic florinef (fludrocortisone) would look like.

I have to say, the one GREAT thing about the pharmacy I use is that they ALWAYS open the bottle(s) in front of me before I pay, show me the pills and verify that they're what I expected them to be. I use Target Pharmacy now and they've really been great to me. Also, I know that if my doc is ordering a med that's not likely to be in stock (proamatine is not something they'd usually have in stock), I can call them ahead, and if they don't have it, they'll order it for me for the next day.

Nina