Could It Be That Magnesium Made Me Feel Jittery?

Hi,

So many posters here recommended Magnesium, that I decided to take some. I took 100mg. I had the most jittery day I had had in a long time. Coincidence? Or could it have been the magnesium? The magnesium was with Calcium Citrate and Vitamin D.

Thanks!

Hmmm, Magnesium is actually supposed to make you calm.

I take it every night before bed, in powder citrate form.

However I don't take it with calcium as I have some weird PTH calcium absorption problem.

I take Vitamin D in the morning.

Did you take it along with anything else..... food, other meds, etc???

Magnesium definitely makes me a bit "wired" and jittery! I've heard over and over that it is supposed to have a calming effect, and people take it to help them sleep, but it does have the opposite effect with me. (I have trouble tolerating most vitamins/supplements/meds, so my reactions are always a bit weird.) Magnesium definitely interferes with my sleep - I've tried it over and over.

Thats weird :) I actually have no problems with magnesium but I just started caltrate with calcium and vitamin D and boy did it make me feel strange.....wondering if it could be a filler reaction? Goes to show how different we all are and some of the crazy things we react to :)

Bren

Abby I just wrote a post about this on the IMAX post. I ended up in the ER with this. I feel terrible for you, but selfishly glad to know I'm not the only one. I had a terrible reaction to Magnesium (I think it was citrate and only took 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon )and ended up in the ER. I started feeling faint right away and like you said very jittery. My heart rate was so high and blood pressure too by the time I finally decided to go to the ER. It made me feel so sick. I used to be a hyper POTS girl but now it's calmed down and but still have the orthostatic issues. I wonder if we are just more sensitive to the over stimulation. Also, I know there is some connection to my GI track because that is where some of my issues start sometimes. Anyhow, I wish I could take it. IT sounds like it helps a lot of people.

Maiysa

• 10 years later...
On 5/9/2012 at 2:37 PM, Maiysa said:

Abby I just wrote a post about this on the IMAX post. I ended up in the ER with this. I feel terrible for you, but selfishly glad to know I'm not the only one. I had a terrible reaction to Magnesium (I think it was citrate and only took 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon )and ended up in the ER. I started feeling faint right away and like you said very jittery. My heart rate was so high and blood pressure too by the time I finally decided to go to the ER. It made me feel so sick. I used to be a hyper POTS girl but now it's calmed down and but still have the orthostatic issues. I wonder if we are just more sensitive to the over stimulation. Also, I know there is some connection to my GI track because that is where some of my issues start sometimes. Anyhow, I wish I could take it. IT sounds like it helps a lot of people.

Maiysa

Hi. I was wondering what the ER did for you. My wife went to the ER and they just told her it was anxiety and gave her Xanax. But we believe it may be the Magnesium. She has had a high heart rate & blood pressure, and has had an unbearable feeling of jitteryness, all for the past two days. She desperate for relief.

• 1 year later...
On 2/16/2023 at 2:33 PM, DadLex said:

Hi. I was wondering what the ER did for you. My wife went to the ER and they just told her it was anxiety and gave her Xanax. But we believe it may be the Magnesium. She has had a high heart rate & blood pressure, and has had an unbearable feeling of jitteryness, all for the past two days. She desperate for relief.

Did you find out what can help as I am now having this reaction and it is freaking me out. Took 1 tsp (310 mg) of a chelate citrate blend of magnesium and I feel like I had 5 cups of coffee I'm flushed my body is hot all over to touch and I havnt been able to sleep.. I read to flush out with water but did you ever find anything else out??

On 5/9/2012 at 8:06 AM, targs66 said:

Magnesium definitely makes me a bit "wired" and jittery! I've heard over and over that it is supposed to have a calming effect, and people take it to help them sleep, but it does have the opposite effect with me. (I have trouble tolerating most vitamins/supplements/meds, so my reactions are always a bit weird.) Magnesium definitely interferes with my sleep - I've tried it over and over.

This is me to a T