Imax 3D Movie And My Friend, Magnesium!

I thought I'd share my experience with seeing a 3D IMAX movie this weekend, in case it might help others. It was opening night for a huge action/adventure movie, The Avengers, and the show was completely sold out. I have one of those crazy fan husbands, who bought tickets a week early and got in line for us 2 hours early and saved us great seats in what he says is the optimal viewing location in an IMAX theater. (let's just say he resembles Sheldon on "Big Bang Theory" more than I care to admit!). I only had to show up 15 min prior and go find him since I already had my ticket. Luckily for me, that means our seats were at the start of the upper section and had a railing I could put feet up on as needed and seats that reclined a bit.

So, the previews started and I was immediately overwhelmed by how loud they were and how quickly they flashed between scenes, showing only action and building up with music. I began getting really dizzy and tachy from that stuff, plus the 3D, and it was like I could feel it in my whole body. I had to close my eyes and try to breathe until each one was over. I worried about how I'd get through the movie if it was going to be that bad. Previews are always worse, but the feeling did carry over into the movie, too. Then, I had an idea...I wasn't due to take my magnesium supplement for another hour or more, but I remembered how much I've noticed in the past that magnesium really helps me when I am overly noise-sensitive or tachycardic, so I took it early. Lo and behold, within less than 30 minutes, my symptoms were all gone and I was able to just enjoy the movie! It was a very loud and action-packed 3D movie, but it no longer bothered me physically. It truly was a GREAT movie, too, for those who are fans of the series! Gotta love that magnesium!!

I'm glad that help you so much! Thanks for letting us know- I will try it next time I go somewhere overstimulating. :) I also noticed the other day when I was having bad gastroparesis magnesium really helped with that too.

I'm glad that you found it helped you in the movie, Wendy, that's great :) I saw Avatar in 3D and it was wonderful!! Just be careful, because those of you who have trouble with low blood pressure and stomach irritation, it can attribute to both of these, too. I take magnesium on occasion, but not every day, because of it irritating my stomach. :unsure:

I'm glad that you found it helped you in the movie, Wendy, that's great :) I saw Avatar in 3D and it was wonderful!! Just be careful, because those of you who have trouble with low blood pressure and stomach irritation, it can attribute to both of these, too. I take magnesium on occasion, but not every day, because of it irritating my stomach. :unsure:

There are certain kinds of magnesium to take -some will actually contribute to depression - see a thread I posted about it.

Mangesium citrate or oxide are the better forms. And, yes be careful cause it can lower bp.

Issie

Thanks Issie, for mentioning the depression....I was aware of that, as well, but forgot to mention it. I do take magnesium oxide from Nature Made, too :) Just took some, actually!! It's better to take after you have eaten, also. :rolleyes:

You're welcome, everyone. I suspect my magnesium levels have been low for quite awhile, since I was on either Prilosec or Nexium 40mg for almost 5 years straight. I've spent the past 6+ months tweaking the type and dosage to find that which works best for me and it has really helped with so many of my symptoms. I highly encourage anyone who suspects they could be low to do their own research, talk to their doctor and maybe give it a try! Good luck!

Really interesting Wendy! I was mag deficient years ago but got really nauseous from the supplements. Maybe I need to get retested & think about a better way to take them. Other than after a meal, is there any good way to buffer the nausea? Also - which type of magnesium did you take at the movies? I always avoid theaters but miss going and seeing things on the big screen!

(null)

Dizzyde, I was initially taking magnesium citrate for a few months there, but I couldn't find the right dosage that got rid of my pre-ventricular contractions/tachycardia/noise sensitivity/dizziness, but didn't cause daily diarrhea. My Cardiologist suggested switching to magnesium oxide, since it absorbs differently, to see if it helped and it sure did. The only time I had trouble with nausea was when I took it with or close to any calcium, either supplements or milk/cheese, etc. It is funny, because the old research claimed that you should always take them together, but lots of newer articles say they are best taken apart and the recommended ratios of calcium to magnesium have changed as well. I've found that I have real problems when I get too much calcium- GI issues, muscle and nerve pain, etc. Anyway, now I do take my magnesium with vitamin d3 and salt tabs - and quite often, on an empty stomach. I recall reading that magnesium taken with anything with high sugar content won't absorb as well. There is a ton of info about magnesium online if you want to know more.

I know I've posted this before but I took magnesium in a powder form. I'm really sensitive, so knew to only take 1/8 of the dose which was about 1/2 teaspoon. I got so sick instantly and started flushing and had to go to ER. My muscles felt paralyzed. They couldn't find anything wrong except my bp was out of whack and heart rate went through the roof. Doc said he had never heard of anyone having a reaction to magnesium before. But he remembers seeing me in there before for strange reactions to foods and herbs and vitamins and meds. haha. Anyhow, I took pepto bismol once and it did the same thing.

I think it was citrate that I took. I took the one that is easier on your stomach. Even when I was well I couldn't take it very well without a stomach ache. Anyhow, am I the only one with this reaction. But the good thing my muscles felt paralyzed so they didn't hurt anymore which is why I was taking it. :) I'm kidding, but it's true.

Maiysa