I just figured out that google is picking up some of our threads and posting them under certain subjects. They also have my profile page and picked certain topics that I started and put them under my profile. Why they picked some of the ones they did, I don't know. LOL Some of them go back months ago. Just found it interesting. Some of you might want to check yourselves out and see if you're threads or profiles are being featured on google.

Issie

If you're on Face book watch out :) ....Just kidding. I have found some things I have posted, medically speaking, as well, on some health websites that I wasn't even on :o ; it's a little strange :ph34r:. Nothing is hidden anymore!! Just be on your best behavior, and do your homework...lol...and follow your mother's advice. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all :D Just having a little fun, Issie...knowing you wouldn't post anything but nice and accurate information :rolleyes: . I have also found the DINET site for many medical topics, I was researching, like Dizzyblonde said. That's how I found this great Website ^_^

Actually, I have gone back and deleted a few things, when I figured this out. LOL I'm not as easy to find on google as some. You are not kidding about being careful what you say and how much you divulge about yourself. We know who we're talking to here on this forum, but others we don't know are reading what we're writing too. I also have an alias on another site and that one did come up easily under that name. I'm glad I'm careful what I say and how nice I am with what I say. People are going to form opinions about you and they might not be the ones you want formed.

What I did figure out is they posted my topics page and also my profile page. The things that come up when you go into your profile on the left side of your profile is what is posted. I made a comment under my other alias name on two different sites and they were both there on that page. So, it's true, what we write is there pretty much, forever - if someone wants to find it.

Issie

Thanks for mentioning this, Issie. I realized this a couple weeks ago and was going to post- but post concussion brain forgot. I actually came across one of my OWN posts...lol. I was googling polyclonal hypergammaglobulinemia which is the protein serum I tested positive for to indicate my autoimmune disease- and I must have posted something about it on here- because it came up- and if I google it again- this one will too I suppose.

Definitely something to think about, everything we say or do online really is forever, isn't it???

Jen

Oy vey. Yeah, I figured this would happen, plus anyone can read your posts even if they don't have an account, which makes sense from the point of view of helping folks. For this reason I use a different alias than I use for my other accounts (and of course from my real name) and don't use a picture that's otherwise linked to me, but then I might be being a bit paranoid :^)

One thing to keep in mind is that Google uses algorithms to know what your interests are. Based on this google knows what sites you visit and what topics interest you. If you frequently come to DINET using your home computer then it is more likely that you will find yourself on a google search. However, if you go to a computer at a library and aren't logged into your google account then results like a profile page on DINET won't be as likely to show up.

I was recently watching a video where someone was explaining this at a conference. He tested this with two of his friends. He had them google the same word, but from their personal computers. They both received very different search results based on sites and interests they had in the past.

But we do still all need to be careful. This is the internet, and what goes on the internet stays there forever. We even need to be careful on facebook or other sites where you have your privacy settings strictly monitored. All it takes is one friend's account being hacked and then your personal information is available to the one who hacked the friend.

I'm glad you're all here, but do be careful and use common internet safety practices. :)