Feeling Of Dread

This is probably going to sound weird- Just warning you ;). Maybe once or twice a month I just get this feeling like something terrible is going to happen though nothing ever does. It really freaks me out- it's like a feeling of unexplained dread. I have noticed it ONLY ever has happened in the evening, so could this be some weird response to adrenaline building during the day? Does anyone else ever get this?

Yikes! I just checked my blood pressure during one of these "episodes" and it was 165/ 87. Heart rate was 118.

Puppylove you could talk with your doctor about that.

As for the blood pressure change remember that how you take the BP is important. Generally you want the arm flat and relaxed as if you tense the arm it can elevate the BP reading significantly. Additionally in weight lifters BP rises can go as high as 360/300 mmHg during maximal lifts without ill effects but you generally don't want your BP high for too long.

Is there any types of worry that you have before the feelings of dread? If it is random it could be adrenal surges in which case hopefully a doctor would know how to treat it.

I get that too Puppylove, except mine are usually in the morning :) It is likely anxiety caused by elevated catecholamines. That would also explain why your BP and hr are elevated during this time. I usually just wait for it to pass, and sometimes it precipitates a major tachy episode (such as during the night). I know how you feel, it is such a bad feeling, but it is just the crazy SNS acting up per usual!

puppylove, yes, and it happens to me in the evening too. I usually interpret it as,"i'm going to die" but, it never happens so i guess the feeling is all hot air huh? :) I know what you mean though. It's like this pit of the stomach feeling. When i get this really bad, everything slows down, like it would if you were in a car crash or some other life threatening event. It freaks me out. And every single night when i go to bed, it feels like i am going to never wake up again. But, i do keep waking up. And if there is a problem, where i'm not going to wake up, i have done all i can about it. The reality is that one day that will happen to me, and i try my best to not waste my time here in this life worrying about when it is going to happen. It can be challenging though, the feelings are SO convincing. You would think after going through this for 2 years, i'd be over it by now, but still every night, the feeling comes.

Lemons the feeling will not go away, that I can tell you fo' sho. I don't believe it is ingrained in the mind, but rather it is a physical response to elevated catecholamines or angiotensin ii. I'm not sure which or if even it's constrained to just those two.

But one thing to note is that progressive muscle relaxation seems to provide a buffer from the feeling. It won't make it go away once it has started but if you do the exercise before the stressor you'll find that it takes longer for the feeling to hit you.

It's so nice to know there are people going through exactly what you're going through. Of course I'm not happy you guys feel bad too, but no matter what weird symptom I experience at least one person has felt it also- even when I feel like no one else would get symptoms this bizarre. Thanks guys! :)

This sounds totally funny but i wonder if knitting or crocheting could help channel those feelings some?

http://www.knitonthenet.com/issue4/features/therapeuticknitting/

I've been reading about this lately. Google it then are tons of articles on the benefit of needlecraft. Some studies have shown it to be as effective as yoga or meditation.

I used to be a knitter & crocheted but had stopped. After reading this article I decked to pick it up because it sounds like it could be an amped up version of biofeedback!

This happens in many cardiovascular illnesses including angina and hypotension. Not fun. Sometimes it might just be an adrenaline surge trying to correct what ever abnormality is occuring. Othertimes I have no idea what it is.

I used to get it prettymuch before I got an autonomic storm or if I drank too much alcohol before I was diagnosed.

I havent had this in years though - most of the times Im getting more a feeling of waking dead LOL

I have had this problem for the past two years as my dysautonomia has worsened. I actually went 5 nights in a row without any sleep. It was horrible. My doctor said that for me, my mitral valve prolapse and dysautonomia were being triggered by poor nutrition and stress I was blessed to meet and work with Dr. Paula Moore in Birmingham; she has really helped. Also, I have found through trials that there are some natural methods I used to improve the situation-

1. I avoid caeffeine, sugar, and alcohol (alcohol is hard) like the plague

2. I pursue regular exercise - I now avoid power lifting, as it can throw the body out of balance - I now concentrate on aerobics

3. When I need help falling asleep and staying asleep:

Melatonin - natural chemical found in the body I get at the Vitamin Shoppe or elsewhere. Helps me fall asleep. No side effects

L-Theanine - natural amino acid found in green tea that calms me down and helps keep me asleep I get at Vitamin Shoppe. No side effects.

Passion Flower - natural herb I get at Vitamin Shoppe that helps me stay asleep that I get at Vitamin Shoppe. No side effects

Inositol - natural amino acid that calms the body. Helps me stay asleep.

Atenelol - beta blocker that my doctor has prescribed that helps block the adrenaliine in my system. I have to take it every day but there are no side effects for me.

I alternate the passion flower, inositol and the L-Theanine.

I also take MagOx, Manganeese, Zinc, Calcium, Vit b6, Vit b2, a vegetable based multivitamin, Omega 3 all on recommendation from my doctor. I also recommend daily prayer and meditation while identifying and recuding all of your stressors.

I tried prescription drugs for insomina (recommendation from GP but they just don't get it!) but they all resulted in tolerance and it was a chore to get off them.

Occassionally, I still get the chemical anxiety out of the blue and I can usually trace it back to my diet and lack of exercise. Slowly but surely my body is teaching me what it will tolerate and what it won't. If I stay on the straight and narrow, it seems like I don't have any problems for weeks at a time.This disease really stinks but it can lead you back to good health in a way...... I hope you get to feeling better!!!

Sleephunter,

Notice you're new here. I'm sure you're going to enjoy the site and the people are all so very supportive.

Interesting the supplements you are taking. The inositol works on seratonin and the passion flower the GABA receptors. I'm really into alternative things myself, since very few of the meds that I've tried have been of any benefit. You can do research on these different herbs and figure out allot about your dysautonomia and what is going on with you in regard to how your body tolerates different things.

Why did you stop power lifting? It would seem that keeping muscles strong and taunt would help the circulation. Maybe, just don't lift so heavy. I hope to get back into lifting again. It's been a long time, but when I did it before - it was really enjoyable and I probably felt the best that I had in years. But, since I'm older and I have EDS, not so sure it will even be possible for me to do it. I also find it's absolutely necessary to support our bodies with supplements, we just don't get what we need out of the foods we eat today. I've tried not using anything and I go downhill fast without the additional support. Right now, I'm just working on being more upright and doing cardio exercise myself. I have sooooo far to go! But, I'm determined I'm going to do it.

Sorry, you had to find us, but I'm sure you will enjoy us!

Issie

Yes, Puppylove I too get this. It seems like mine comes with surges. I had this very horrible surge about 3 weeks ago that lasted 3 long hours. I was basically paralyzed- right side of my body violently twitching- arm and leg- my whole body in a cold clammy sweat, I had this strange headache- it hurt but not the worst I've had- but seemed to continually circle my head????? Double vision, random facial tics, I could go on forever! It was the longest 3 hours of my life and quite honestly, one of the worst things to ever happen to me. Right before that happened- which was about 1am- I would say 15 min. I had that feeling of dread and I could feel the adrenaline. I guess I am assuming it was an adrenal surge, although it was the worst one I'd ever had. It was so bad and I could do nothing but lie still. Couldn't even move other than the involuntary movements. Nightmare!!!

Interestingly, a 72 hour period of not sleeping followed... I believe our new member Sleephunter mentioned something like this (Wekcome to our forum, Sleephunter!!!! I hope you find it useful). I have be NEVER gone that long without sleep but it was crazy. I don't know if I had so much adrenaline being produced or what happened but it was crazy. I wasn't even TIRED. Even when I finally did sleep- I still didn't feel tired... It's a long story but we lost our kitty cat about 4 months ago and I just miss her terribly, and I hallucinated her and she came and crawled up next to me and fell asleep and I did instantly after that. The last night with no sleep I did have hallucinations the whole night and it was CRAZY. I remember every bit of it, first I started hearing things and eventually seeing things- like bats in my living room, hundreds of them... Ugh. I did some VERY insane things and lucky I didn't kill myself! I sure hope it never happens again. As usual, I rambled (sorry) but I do get that "Doom" feeling and I think it must be hormonally or chemically related somehow.

Jen