I Have A Herniated Disc

Darlene

this medical student called me from the rheumatologists office to tell me the results of my mri. she says i have a herniated disc and wanted to know if i had a neurosurgen. what does that mean? i need surgery? i thought i would be sent somewhere where they would go over options with me? i tried to ask her questions, but she just said she is a medical student and did not know. i asked if I could talk to someone who knew the naswer, but she said they were busy. so, i am confused where to go from here.

Darlene,

In 199??? I had three herniated discs in my neck. C4 C5 and C7 and a sprained occiput, something about the muscle to it. Anyhow, I wanted to tell you that they wanted me to do surgery but I had heard negative things about it. I went to a pain management center and they were very helpful. I did chiropractor care, but I never let anyone crack me. That made me feel terrible, so I found someone who was very gentle and used something called the activator, a simple little device that maneuvers the spine in a not so harsh way. Then I had cortisone shots and a nerve block. It eventually helped. But years later I have another bulging disc but the chiropractor is helping me. But there are always alternatives. Not saying this is what you should do, I don't know the details, but be sure to get a second and a third opinion. I know it's painful though. Hang in there.

I have herniated discs in my neck. The first neuro-surgeon said surgery. He showed me the MRI and said, see, it's pushing on your spinal cord. Freaked me out! Surgery was a scary idea so I got other opinions. 3 other neurosurgeons (yep, 3) said I did not need surgery. One had me try a home traction device and recommended an anti-inflammatory cream and some medication. The other two said physical therapy. The recommendations will be based on the specifics of your situation - the neurosurgeon will go over options with you.

herniated discs heal themselves. sometimes people need surgery, but the discs, do have the power to heal with special care (usually steroids, nsaids, physical therapy.) an orthopedist can help. some specialize just in spinal injuries, but all can prescribe the right therapies or surgeries.

Darlene, they certainly need to have better resources when they call you with something like that!! Way to go, giving you no information! Let us know when you find out more. Why did you have the MRI, for pain? Were they suspecting a herniated disc?

I have three cervical vertebrae that are touching my spinal cord(thus the spinal stenosis diagnosis). I plan on asking the neurologist when I go back to Mayo what her opinion is regarding my symptoms and that fact. The original neuro here at home said he wouldn't worry about it. My next neuro(a doctor and a fellow) kept asking, "and the neuro that diagnosed this didn't think this contributed to your orthostatic issues??". The way they asked was a little odd. But, they didn't offer an opinion either way. So, now it's time to REALLY find out. I don't have any pain with mine.

Sue, i ve been telling my family dr. for about 10 years about the low back pain. i did physical therapy and chiropractor care twice, with no success. The pain gradually became worse. I asked my Dr. if she could do an MRI twice. She said it wouldn't show anything, and that if I had a herniated disc that I would have pain going down my leg. Well the pain finally got so bad I was in severe pain to the point I couldn't walk without crutches, and even with crutches it hurt to walk. I went to the ER, and he gave me percocet, flexeril, and an injection. The meds did not even touch the pain. So, I call my rheumatologist and make an appointment and he orders an MRI. I had the MRI done Monday, and they called me today with the results. So the answer is no, my family Dr. did not suspect a herniation even though I have been complaining of low back pain for 10 years. I have an appointment with my family Dr. Monday. Would it be appropriate for me to tell her about having an MRI, and the herniation. I would like to ask her why she didn't help me. She just kept saying exercise, excersie, exercise. I did just that. I have this home gym hat has weights. Not knowing i had a herniated disc I was lifting weights, and making the pain worse. But I was just doing what she said. Or did she not believe I was in pain? In 2005 when I became sick with dysautonomia, a different Dr. in the same building referred me to the FCHC where they hooked me to a holter monitor. This Dr. said if the reading came back normal that he would refer me to a psychologist. I was confused when he said that. I thought how the **** is a psychologist going to help me with tachycardia, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, facial flushing, light headedness, etc. Well, the reading came back abnormal, and he sends me to a cardiologist where he diagnoses me with dysautonomia. When I went back to this Dr. I asked him why he was going to send me to a psychologist for being sick. He apologized to me.

I just wonder, what happenes if I get sick again. I can't go to the Dr. because they don't help me. I wish I was an ER Dr. so if one day my dr. comes in and says "help me, I think I am having a heart attack". I will say, I will send you to a psychologist.

I saw a neurosurg for my herniated disc. He set me up with PT and at home traction. I had steroid shots. No surgery required. Surgery is normally a last resort of pain can't be controlled by other options.

Brye