Pneumonia, Anyone Have Experience With This?

I just found out I have Pneumonia :( I still have to get other labs back and a strep test that my doc says will take a few days (I never heard of that, when I was a kid I used to get a 1 hr culture and some time 24 hours).

The doctor prescribe me a 5-day zpack (azithromycin) (I've used for strep a few times) (I'm allergic to penicillian) What medicine worked for you if you've had this before?

Does anyone else have experience with pneumonia, especially while their POTS was flaring? What kind did you have Viral, Bacterial, Fungal or parasitic?

Rich

Rich, I did have pneumonia for two years, but mine was fungal...possible valley fever and then we had mold in our homes. So I had to take a different type of antibiotic. But when I was in the hospital for thyroid cancer and toxic thyroid 2 years ago, they had to give me antibiotics via IV. I took Clindamycin and I looked it up and it is also used for bacteria in the lungs. Anyhow, I was told by the doctors that with my sensitivity it would be the best antibiotic for me. I did really well until the 16 bag and then I got extremely sick to my stomach, which is understandable and that was after the second surgery so lots of other medications too. And it helped me to keep food in my stomach at all times during the IV. My best friend has lupus and they also gave her this antibiotic since she is allergic to most as well. Poor guy.. So sorry, I hope you feel better soon. But so glad you got an answer as to what's the matter lately. But maybe ask your doctor about this medication. Of course everyone is different.

I am also someone with a penecillin allergy. Docs typically give me a z-pac for things like bacterial sinus infections, ear infections, and strep. I don't really have any issues with the z-pac and POTS symptoms, nor other common antibiotic issues like nausea. However, I am surprised that they gave you it for pnemonia. Around here, they typically go straight to the "harder" antibiotics for something like that. It is also possible to have a doc prescribe azithromycin so that a person take the same number of milligrams as a z-pac but over 3 days instead of 5, which sometimes will knock out stubborn bugs-- we have done this for me before. I have had both doxy and cipro because we weren't able to eliminate chronic sinus and staph infections I was having with the 'zith. Both doxy and cipro are really hard on your system, or they were on mine. I dealt with nausea on both, as well as a drop in BP and increased POTS symptoms. I believe I also had minor issues with Clindamycin-- more than with a z-pack, but it would have been worth it to me if it had taken care of the infection, in my case it didn't. Of course, I was doing oral.

Rich, I have had many issues my whole life with pneumonia. I have had asthma and breathing issues as long as I can remember so almost when ever I get a cold it will go into my lungs and I end up on antiobiotics and steroids. I am also allergic to penicillian and they always give me the Zpack. I have never had any problems taking the zpack or with it making symptoms flare up. Although when I am sick I tend to have more issues or maybe they just feel worse cause I am sick. As for the Strep test. They usually take a culture and then do something to it right away that will tell if you most likely have strep but if that is negative then then they send it away for further testing and that takes up to three days to tell for sure. I hope you start to feel better soon!

Yes, I've had it too and the one thing I remember that was the most important parts of recovery - other than the antibiotics - was the breathing exercises into that little breath thing and twice daily beatings on my back over the lung area. I was actually hospitalized and they sent in someone to do the treatment of very fast chopping on my back. They said they had to loosen up the congestion. It also seems they had me do some sort of nebulizer treatment. I nearly died - so mine was really bad. It was a long recovery. They made me do that breathing thing every hour. Which is really hard when there isn't space in your lungs to take the air into - but, they want you to do deep breathing.

Hope you feel better. Hang in there. Maybe, you've had some form of walking pneumonia all along and that's what your breathing issues are related to. That would be great if they would be gone when you recover from this. I hoping so, for you!

Issie

Rich, I did have pneumonia for two years, but mine was fungal...possible valley fever and then we had mold in our homes. So I had to take a different type of antibiotic. But when I was in the hospital for thyroid cancer and toxic thyroid 2 years ago, they had to give me antibiotics via IV. I took Clindamycin and I looked it up and it is also used for bacteria in the lungs. Anyhow, I was told by the doctors that with my sensitivity it would be the best antibiotic for me. I did really well until the 16 bag and then I got extremely sick to my stomach, which is understandable and that was after the second surgery so lots of other medications too. And it helped me to keep food in my stomach at all times during the IV. My best friend has lupus and they also gave her this antibiotic since she is allergic to most as well. Poor guy.. So sorry, I hope you feel better soon. But so glad you got an answer as to what's the matter lately. But maybe ask your doctor about this medication. Of course everyone is different.

Thank you so much! I have here of that antibiotic because I had a staph infection back in January and they said it's good for that, but my doctor gave me Levaquin which was also supposed to be good. But I just reread the wiki on it and it's looks very good. I'll mention it to my doctor. Hope you are doing better, I read about Valley Fever and it seems awful, did your lungs hurt badly from it?

Rich

I am also someone with a penecillin allergy. Docs typically give me a z-pac for things like bacterial sinus infections, ear infections, and strep. I don't really have any issues with the z-pac and POTS symptoms, nor other common antibiotic issues like nausea. However, I am surprised that they gave you it for pnemonia. Around here, they typically go straight to the "harder" antibiotics for something like that. It is also possible to have a doc prescribe azithromycin so that a person take the same number of milligrams as a z-pac but over 3 days instead of 5, which sometimes will knock out stubborn bugs-- we have done this for me before. I have had both doxy and cipro because we weren't able to eliminate chronic sinus and staph infections I was having with the 'zith. Both doxy and cipro are really hard on your system, or they were on mine. I dealt with nausea on both, as well as a drop in BP and increased POTS symptoms. I believe I also had minor issues with Clindamycin-- more than with a z-pack, but it would have been worth it to me if it had taken care of the infection, in my case it didn't. Of course, I was doing oral.

Thanks for the info! I looked up Clindamycin and it's known even more than others to have diarrhea as a side effect even thought they all list that. But I think the key is eating solid food before you take it. I never took it.

Over the years I have take almost every antibiotic on the market, but I dont remember any of their names because it's been so long. When I was young I had strep a lot. In my mid 20's I had tonsillitis. I was given two very strong antibiotics for it (the first one didnt work, luckily the second one did) and I remember on the first one I had to stay out of the sun, on the second it said to be careful with tendons. Recently I took Levaquin for a staph infection. My IGG levels are low so look like I'm prone to infection :(

The thing that worries me is finding out what type of pneumonia I have..

Yes, I've had it too and the one thing I remember that was the most important parts of recovery - other than the antibiotics - was the breathing exercises into that little breath thing and twice daily beatings on my back over the lung area. I was actually hospitalized and they sent in someone to do the treatment of very fast chopping on my back. They said they had to loosen up the congestion. It also seems they had me do some sort of nebulizer treatment. I nearly died - so mine was really bad. It was a long recovery. They made me do that breathing thing every hour. Which is really hard when there isn't space in your lungs to take the air into - but, they want you to do deep breathing.

Hope you feel better. Hang in there. Maybe, you've had some form of walking pneumonia all along and that's what your breathing issues are related to. That would be great if they would be gone when you recover from this. I hoping so, for you!

Issie

I wish but this is a different breathing issue. When I was hospitalized back in October for breathing issues they did an x-ray and no pneumonia, then I had a high resolution CT scan end of November that was all clear.. besides that, this pain feels different..

Rich, I am so sorry, you must really be going through it. Stay positive if you can, and kick that pneumonia. When I get the chest stuff i use a vaporizer and I love it, it really helps break up the congestion, did your doc recommend you use one? Also, don't know if your sinuses are contributing, but when mine act up I dissolve 1/4 tsp each of salt and baking soda in 8 oz of water, pour it in my hand, and sniff it up my nose letting it drain through my mouth every six hours--kind of like a poor man's netipot-- sounds gross, but it works wonders for sinus drainage and doesn't have any stimulants/depressants that you get with a lot of the otc stuff, maybe your doc would agree? Also a tsp of honey is a natural way to aid against coughing, it helps kind of.The good news is that you know what is wrong (per se) and it is being treated. Hopefully you will be feeling better soon.

One more thing, did you and your doc discuss a breathing treatment or steroids? I had pneumonia a few years ago and they gave me an antibiotic, a steroid pack, and a breathing treatment. Additionally, vit c via oj? I found when I had pneumonia that heat felt good on my chest. I used a heating pad, but dried beans/rice in a sock in the microwave til warm (around 30 seconds) would get some heat going for you. Also, yogurt can help restore some of the good bacteria in your digestive tract if you have issues after the antibiotic. Another question you might want to ask your doc is how he knows its bacterial( the usual response is a high wbc count, but he may cite your fever...)

Edited by lemonsin2lemonade

Rich, I am so sorry, you must really be going through it. Stay positive if you can, and kick that pneumonia. When I get the chest stuff i use a vaporizer and I love it, it really helps break up the congestion, did your doc recommend you use one? Also, don't know if your sinuses are contributing, but when mine act up I dissolve 1/4 tsp each of salt and baking soda in 8 oz of water, pour it in my hand, and sniff it up my nose letting it drain through my mouth every six hours--kind of like a poor man's netipot-- sounds gross, but it works wonders for sinus drainage and doesn't have any stimulants/depressants that you get with a lot of the otc stuff, maybe your doc would agree? Also a tsp of honey is a natural way to aid against coughing, it helps kind of.The good news is that you know what is wrong (per se) and it is being treated. Hopefully you will be feeling better soon.

One more thing, did you and your doc discuss a breathing treatment or steroids? I had pneumonia a few years ago and they gave me an antibiotic, a medrol steroid pack, and a breathing treatment. Also vit c via oj? Also, yogurt can help restore some of the good bacteria in your digestive track if you have issues after the antibiotic. Another question you might want to ask your doc is how he knows its bacterial( the usual response is a high wbc count, but he may cite your fever...)

What kind of breathing treatment was it?

I wish I knew, it was done through a nebulizer in the office. I think that's what its called-- a little machine that you breathe through for like 5-10 min.

Ok I found the info I think, they gave me

*ipratropium bromide .02% inhalation solution

*albuterol sulfate, 1ml nebulizer

* albuterol inhaler 90 mcg

*prednisone 20 mg oral

* doxycycline 100 mg

I wish I knew, it was done through a nebulizer in the office. I think that's what its called-- a little machine that you breathe through for like 5-10 min

did a mist come out of it that you breathed in. When my son had Pneumonia at 2 years old I remember they had me give him Albuterol Nebulizer treatments, but he was wheezing, were you?

Yes, I found the info, and put it in my post. As per your temp issues. Are you sure your thermometer is accurate? Second, low temps make me think more hormonal/neurological not so much viral/bacterial but I do not know a lot about this. Not sure if 96.5 qualifies. Did you talk to your doc about this?

Yes, I found the info, and put it in my post. As per your temp issues. Are you sure your thermometer is accurate? Second, low temps make me think more hormonal/neurological not so much viral/bacterial but I do not know a lot about this. Not sure if 96.5 qualifies. Did you talk to your doc about this?

I don't think hormonal/neurol can cause pneumonia, but the infection sure is affecting everything so wouldn't be surprised if it hit there. It just happened tonight so will tell doc tomorrow..

Hi Rich, Have you been tested for and or treated for a primary immune defeciency? You mention infections and low igg. Take a look at hypogammaglobulinemia or common variable immune defciency. I rarely run a high fever, low grade if at all, even with a colon rupture. The pid are known for having infections fo the upper respiratory area, though you can present like I did. I had chronic tonsilitis, swollen glands, female and gi infections.

What was your IGG and was the test a Total quantitative immunoglobulin? There are lots of disease specific ig tests, that won't show your global response. If you have low igg, did they do a vaccine challenge test on you and/or check your sub IG panel, IGd and E?

As far as antibiotics. I have not done well with orals. I now get rocephine shots when my WBC elevates and I feel like I'm fighting something. I have had 2 in the last week or so and then we check my cbc. It is easier then getting oral antibiotics and is not so hard on the GI tract. I also get elevations in my CRP. From my experience I had a hard time with cipro/levaquins, they do clear infection, but if you suspect you have any kind of neuropathy they make that worse, I was in terrible body pain while on them. I don't know much about sfn and the lungs, but since those nerves are associated with all autonomic function, it might be possible that those nerves in your lungs are being effected.

Have your doctors discussed treating you with immunoglobulin replacement with your history of infections and low IGG?

Update: Finally went to bed at 6am until 11:30am, woke up in the same lousy condition only thing is now I have more blood in my mucus. i spoke to the dr and asked if he tested me for virus, he said not really, but he decided to presc Tamiflu too.

Any every use Tamiflu or both antibiotics at the same time?

Not causing the pneumonia, causing the low temperature :) Are you really coughing up blood? If you are, do you think it is from your throat or your lungs? Have you been tested for Tb?

The temp problem was a one time thing from whatever I have... My mucus has blood in it, not coughing up straight blood alone.. I do want to get tested for TB, never been before...