having bad episode any ideas

joyce68

Just trying to see if anyone has any ideas for how to get me through bad episode, my grandmother passed away last week, and the stress of losing her, traveling back and forth to her funeral, the changes in weather between ohio and kentucky last week was a royal pain. 30-60 -30 again for temps. my heart rate has been 115 - 160 for two weeks now. I'm on zoloft and catapress to try and stop the POTS mechanism but it isn't working, while out of town tried taking lopressor to help break the rate at suggestion of my cardio, but all I did was have an asthma attack and brady down into the 20's so that I spent 20 minutes dry heaving and trying to drink mountain dew and hot chocolate to bring me back up. Just wondered in anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with stress, and heart rate. any input would greatly be appreciated.

thanks

Joyce

sorry for your loss. this must be a terribly sad time for you, and your body is just reacting to the stress.

i agree with steph that trying to counteract the beta blocker with caffeine isn't a good idea. cutting the beta blocker in 1/2 might not be a bad thing to try - just talk to your dr first. most people do have trouble for the first week or two when taking a BB, which in many cases goes away on its own. how much lopressor did you start out with? lopressor didn't work for me, but atenolol, another beta blocker, has worked wonders. but maybe you should wait to try a new drug after the stress eases up on its own a little...

feel better,

rita

Hi Joyce! I think you did good to add the caffeine! When your heart rate is in the 20's and you are that ill, you need to try whatever you can to boost it up. (I'm sure you know that as you are a cardiac nurse.) Sounds like it was a pretty serious crash. I think I would risk the possible rebound tachy at that point. Have you seen your doctor since you've gotten back? Not sure I'd be trying the Lopressor again until you've spoken with them, especially if you think it triggered an asthma attack on top of the brady. Not much works for me when I am under emotional stress. Usually just have to give it time, rest, water, and salt and wait it out. I hope things improve for you. You've had a rough go of it! Laura!

Guest tearose

You sure are going through a lot right now Joyce.

I can't comment on the meds cause I'm not using them. I do know if I have a heartrate in the 30's I'm having major trouble. I don't know how you managed to even care for yourself with a rate in the 20's! Please check with your doctor, even just by phone. The added load you have on your body right now and the travel...I think the meds may be having trouble regulating you because you are topsy turvy yourself! They may work again when you are able to rest and rebuild yourself. Why not run this all pass your doctor?

My sympathy to you and your family for your loss. I hope your good memories will bring you comfort.

sincerely, tearose

I'm not going to take beta blockers again, my asthma is just too sensitive, I used an albuteral inhaler to counter act the lopressor, and the caffeine to get my rate back up, I was more than willing to risk more tachy as opposed to not being able to stand up with the bradycardia, I was also hundreds of miles away from any doctor with the slightest clue about dysautonomias. I called the office when I got back and my cardio was fine with what happened and agreed that I should not take anymore betas and wait and let me get over the stress and get some rest. Thank you all for you input, I might try some relaxing cd's of the ocean or something.

I have experienced this type incident. What hwlped me always was an IV my doc gave me ascript so home health delivers it to my house. You can, and I have many, many times gone to the ER and told them that I needed IV and that I knew my hr was wierd but needed IV---and I have gotten them and walked out. They all commented on hoe well I know my body. Let them know that you do. Perhaps this will help. Miriam ;)

I wanted to let you know that I am truly sorry for your loss. My doctor said drinking extra fluids can help lower heart rate but I haven't been able to take in enough to see if it works. I am on atenolol and it works wonders for me. My heart rate was 250 at rest and it brought it down to 70. I don't have any other suggestions but I wanted to let you know I will be praying for you. I hope things get better soon.

;) God bless,

Caitlin