Wine Makes Chest Pain Better! Vasodilation

E246

Alcohol can help angina by delating blood vessels and so i assume this is why it makes my chest pressure/pain better.

However the action of the wine also decreases how long i can stand and the amount of exertion before rises in hr presumable from the peripheral vasodilatory effect.

The relief from chest pressure is welcome - there is an up side to pots.

Anyone else?

Ive found in the past that when I was very bad and brain fog was really severe that a beer would help me. Id feel clearer in the head, more relaxed and my heart rate would be calmer. if I drank more it would make me worse, but one beer was ok. Also found i sleep better - for years while working my insomnia treatment was a shot of Baileys before bed. LOL.

Not exactly textbook medical treatment there but i had to do something to sleep working full time.

I used to tolerate alcohol quite well generally as a potsie until very recently, then less so.

Others have found that nitro has helped their chest pain which also vasodilates. Hawthorn may do the same.

I usually feel good after a beer or two. Sometimes I am even more energetic and clear headed/ less dizzy than I was before I started drinking. I also sleep better with a little alcohol in my system, as I have pain issues (often chest pain) falling asleep, but I stay asleep fine.

However, every once in a while (esp. if my sympathetic nervous system is overacting) I will end up as a mess after one beer-- it seems like sometimes when my nerves are going crazy those adrenaline surges are the only thing keeping my bp up, and calming them down will leave me a mess.

I feel terrible after 4-5 sips of any alcoholic beverage. I feel like I can feel blood pooling to my extremities and my mid-section. It is a very strange and uncomfortable feeling. I also get dizzy/foggy. Maybe some of this is simply lack of tolerance for alcohol as I was never much of a drinker prior to POTS, but I really cannot tolerate it at all now, sadly!

I posted this as if it works then that has to be a clue to what the problem is. You would think nitro would work if it was just vasdilation but it is maybe too strong for me and my hr shoots up too quickly.

Julie - it makes my hr faster if i try and do much after a glass but at least it relaxes my chest.

I think sometimes my symptoms -which are varied - are caused by different things and so the chest pain is vasoconstriction which is why a little wine helps but the surges are dehydration and nitro for this does not help.

Cheers!

Rama,

Spotted you as a fellow tippler a while back - might try the hawthorn again - i was taking it for the chest pain before I knew I had pots but ran out. Am now taking Ubiquinol (best form of Q10) and something called Cardi E - a patented heart formula suggested by a doctor. If i think they work i will post.

Red wine is supposed to be good for the heart, but it is a vasodilator, and it is also a diuretic, which causes the kidney's to work over time, (diuresis), therefore, eventually causing dehydration!! I wouldn't overdue it...everything in moderation is my motto :) . I used to take Hawthorn for chest pain...I woke up with pain this morning....Does anyone wake up with chest pain? That seems to be normal when I am working out (which doesn't happen), but I have pain in the cold, vasoconstriction, during a symptomatic phase, and when I wake up...during a surge, maybe??

One thing when I was younger before I got POTS i used to get by FAR the worst hangovers of any of my friends - id drink maybe 7-9 beers in a night camping and my mates would all be fine the next day and id be in my tent vomiting and unable to get up.

Could have been due to an allergy to the beer - or you just didn't need so many. LOL :) Not a fun time after all - was it. :)