Beta Blockers - Weight Gain Or Loss?

Jules

Beta blocker users - have you noticed any fluctuation in weight?

I'm obviously more concerned with weight gain than loss, obviously. Noticed steady weight gain while using Prozac, though it initially made me lose 14 lbs. w/in 2 weeks, think mostly water weight. I was going to the bathroom, non-stop. Prozac also definitely lost it's ump (improved energy and ability to workout diminished w/in months regardless of dosage increase).

I'm the same weight :) I thought I would have gained weight, but it never happened...I'm still nauseated, so that has to do more with my GI tract and my dizziness, I guess; I thought being less tachycardic would help me gain weight...

Interesting you should mention this. I was sitting around 135 pounds in early October when I started diltiazem (calcium channel blocker). I got edema on the diltiazem and gained 15 pounds. We switched to atenolol (beta blocker, which has been super helpful in general symptom management) on December 21st, after the doctor had me stop the diltiazem. On January 11th she said the edema was gone but I was up to 155 pounds, and now at 161. I wonder if the atenolol could be causing weight gain? She tried to blame it on my Seroquel, or maybe the Cymbalta, but I've taken Seroquel at 12.5 to 25mg since 2007 with no weight gain and Cymbalta twice with no weight gain either. Thoughts?

i gained weight on metoprolol plus it was making me so very much more tired...... i could only tolerate it for 4-5 mths.... i think i gained around 25 lbs on it...... but at the time, i was considered anorexic due to the eating/digestive/nauea, so well, it helped me gain back some weight. I stopped taking it due to the severe fatigue it caused. It did help the tachy, but it done more bad for me than good.