Who Has Tried Swimming?

chipper

Hey ginger, it wasn't something i had thought of either. I just started with a new pots dr & he has an exercise physio there who is awesome. The bathtub is what he told me to do for 5 mins. The first few days I was practically shaking when I was done. But I've kept at it for the past month.

Pm me if you have any questions

In the summer I was swimming several times a week. Felt pretty ok as long as I was in the water but it took a long time to recover once I got out. I worked up to swimming a mile several times a week but then the weather put a stop to it.

Love it but I have to get out very slowly! I use the ramp and sit. Also I take water exercise classes. I am not sure how I would do with laps. The classes have some light cardio but they are good for strength. I was fit when i got pots. Exercise in some way is good for our bodies, but I also know that it is not a "cure" for me. It does take a lot of effort but it has been worth it for me. Additionally the water temp. of the Y is pretty good for me. Not too hot but not freezing cold. Something many of us have to consider is temp. I hope you give it a try. Just don't be in a hurry.

Kayjay- just had a "duh!" moment. Water exercise classes. Great idea! I recommend them all the time for my patients but never thought about it for myself. Funny how those synapses never linked until I read your post. Guess I need to look into the Y or similar classes locally. Thank for the tip.

Swimming seems to be one of the few things I can do for exercise that doesn't cause pain. I used to swim in public pools, but several years ago the chlorine starting causing me to get very itchy and rashy. We ended up getting an exercise pool put in our garage that uses sodium bromide rathen than chloride (what they call a "salt water pool"). When my POTS was at its worst I couldn't swim at all - I basically had total exercise intolerance. After learning what I had, starting midodrine and MCAS meds, etc. I was able to start swimming 2 minutes a day but more than that made me sicker. I very slowly worked my way up to 20 minutes a day, but have to time it carefully with midodrine - I have to exercise about an hour after taking it, not near to when it wears off. I also have to wash all the chemicals of my skin right afterwards, and can only swim very lightly - exertion also makes me worse, and I have to be careful getting out. But I think it does help overall.

I did aquaciser treadmil and loved it--my final session I did 70 min. but they keep the temp around 92 degrees (for my fibro and arthritis and no hot tubs/spas or things like that per cardiologist). I felt so relaxed but as soon as I got showered, changed and drove home, I was exhausted whereas I felt energized in the aquaciser. There is no place where I live that has warmed pool that will rent to individual for exercise. With wintery roads/weather we get, the nearest one recommended by therapists is at a Y in another big county about 30 min from where I live (and with gas going to $4/hr, that isn't an option for me).

I find it strange that water (except ocean waves/seashore) doesn't bother me, but I got a galaxy tablet for myself for Christmas and when I turn that thing on, the way the things spin and whirl around to get to the lock page--well, I can't even look at it--makes me feel like I'm spinning.

I actually did have 3 spells after therapy, showering and rushing to dress because of near syncope--staggering to bed to lie fast--or grab big cup water to drink sitting with head down thinking/hoping things would pass. The heart would be tachy and I'd be hypotensive and low O2 saturation. Funny thing was that I'd felt fine in the water.