Just a quick note & update

MightyMouse

Hi all, I had my epidurals this morning. I'm still a bit woozy from the meds, but have the day off to sleep through my drug hangover.

JLB, I know you asked about what the findings on my MRI means--I still am not sure--but I think that it's mostly arthritic changes and bony spurs that are probably a result of my spine being hypermobile just like the rest of my body--the bony growth is the body's attempt to stabilize everything.

I my GP's office has been closed for 2 days, so I set my alarm to go off at 3pm so I can call her to make an appointment. Definitely have a sinus infection now--it's christmas in my nose (red and green :( ) again and the coughing, sore throat and ears are in full swing.

A big hug to each of you who thought something nice or wrote something nice on my behalf--It's really been a help. BTW, can't help but notice how busy the board has been! :)

Nap commencing now... Nina :o

Hey,

If your pcp isn't back go to the ER. If you are showing christmas colors this is not good!!! As tires as you are this could turn into something more serious. I am glad that you were able to get the injections. The one thing my diagnosing dr. told me was that we needed to keep flexible even if in bed(sound wierd,but if it works). I also found thera heat works on my spine back ets, and they last 8 hrs so i can move them. Just remember we are all special and are blessed to have this forum to socialize. Miriam

Guest Julia59

Nina,

I just wanted to let you know i'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

That MRI report doesn't sound very encouraging. Can you get a closer look taken, maybe by another neurosurgeon? I'm concerned about pressure on your spinal cord. I hope you are able to manage the pain, as I know this has been a big problem for you.

I wanted to let you know I was accepted in an EDS study also. I'm on the waiting list. The Doc's running it thought I might make an interesting study subject.

Can't imagine why----LOL.

Keep an eye on that spine of yours---and be very careful.

Wishing you pain free days ahead.------ :(

ps---i hope that sinus infection clears up soon for you.---My son gets them all the time------------and the Christmas thing along with it----red and green.....

Julie :0)

Hi again everyone. I'm awake and feeling somewhat less drugged than during the last post. A bit nauseated though--which normally doesn't happen to me from versed, but did this time. I also fell asleep in the car on the way home.

The epidurals contain lidicaine and a steriod. They're not like the type you get when you have a baby--those go into the dura (covering of the spinal cord) and deliver anesthetic directly to the cord. These are cervical epidurals--and they do not puncture the dura, just the disc sac. They inject directly into the disc with the intent for the steroid to reduce swelling over a period of weeks. I have another round in 3 weeks.

I have another dilemma at this point--I called my gp's office and she's on vacation until feb 23--doesn't help me one bit. I need to figure out another plan. I'll use the ER if I really, really, really have to... but would prefer not to go there. I may try my allergy doc. So much for trying to fade out my asthma meds--my chest is a bit sore and aggrevated because of my sinus drip.

Pain level--not too bad right now. Feeling a bit sore at the epidural sites (2 levels) and also sore from yesterday's PT. Just had to call and cancel my appt for tomorrow's PT--there is just no way. Long term, I think that PT is probably the only thing that's going to help me out.

Julia, I suppose I could have a nsg look at my stuff--what do you think the benefit of that would be? I know I'm not having spinal surgery done again unless it's a life or limb situation.

A side note, I have off from work again tomorrow. In trying to "multitask", I dropped my car off for it's 30K service last night. Well, they did the service and found I have 2 leaking struts--albeit covered by warranty, they wont have them in stock until tomorrow, so I wont have a car again tomorrow. Maybe it's a good thing--makes me take a second day to rest :)

so, that should catch you up with my comings/goings.

Nina

FINd out who is covering for your FP, they have to have someone cover, and see that person. Having this while the injections work on your back seem counterintuitive. Harder for you to heal. Maybe calling the covering doc will give antibiotics. Miriam queen of sinus infections

Edited by MightyMouse

Guest tearose

Thanks for the update Nina.

I suppose your car got jealous of all the talk about doing time in the fix it shop?

Hope you both will be up and running smoothly soon! :)

heal well, tearose

Guest Mary from OH

Nina-

Hope you feel better soon!! Funny, I have Christmas going on in my nose too!! It's been going on for a while, but between Marissa and me, I haven't had time to go in to my PCP!! I've had a migraine for 2 days and I feel like dying. I thought the flu was bad. Plus, I get to host a dinner party today! yipee!! The kids outnumber the adults!! I'm SOOO excited!!! NOT!

Take care and Take care of yourself!!!

I too am sending you good thoughts on feeling better. I've tried epiduals myself in addition to botox injections in my shoulder and upper back muscles. They help but takes a little to get over and having a sinus infections can't help so I hope you quickly take care of it. I understand you know wanting to go to the ER but ya gotta do something before it causes more problems.

Best Wishes!

Denise :)

:) I'm awake, but still really tired. I lost my voice, my ears hurt and am still running a fever even on tylenol every 8 hours or so... but not as high as yesterday. I'm on antibiotics for the sinus problems.

Of course, I overdid it yesterday--we drove to CT to see my sister and the new baby, who is adorable. Hasn't hit 6lbs yet, so still feels like a newborn :) We got to finally do our Hannukah and Christmas with all the relatives; did 3 stops through CT and then went to dinner with my mom and stepdad.

I did get to sleep lots today and look forward to sleep again tonight--been having the nightsweats, but they're not quite as bad as earlier this week.

Nina :)

So you get the nightsweats too? What a treat, huh?

Then again, I could be in Mary's place, and have to host a DINNER PARTY... :) God bless you for your stamina, Mary - I can barely get dinner on the table for myself and my two kids.

Nina, is the infection going into your ears? I don't know about you, but once my ears are affected, it can take months to clear up... Have you tried that nasal spray Brwneyedchica suggested?

Hi again.

Zicam is good for slowing the progress of a viral infection (cold, flu)--unfortunately, it's not as useful for bacterial infection.

I am on a lot of meds to prevent sinus problems, including an Rx spray, saline nasal rinse, antibacterial ointment that is swabbed inside w/ cotton swabs, etc. My ears have been bothering me for weeks, and I've just not felt well. I think I got a mild flu a few weeks back, and then the bacteria took advantage of me at that point--and has been building for at least a week.

I got my appetitie back today though and just had some home-made chicken soup. Mmmmmm. If that doesn't make me better, nothing will :) I did down my Bactrim w/ the soup, so got the antibiotics and chicken soup doubleteaming the infection.

Yeah, the night sweats always come when I have a bad infection--I was completely soaked for the past few nigthts. Today I got the sweats during the day--have changed my clothing completely a few times. Did get in a good nap after breakfast though and plan to go to bed relatively early. I have a long day tomorrow--work, then I teach tomorrow night.

Nina

Guest Julia59

Nina,

I don't know--------------maybe have another neurologist look at your MRI's?

With EDS so many things can happen, and it's probably wise to keep on top of things especially when it comes to your spine. But you are pretty organized and i'm sure you doing what you can already.

I got another opinion because I was having a lot of other neurological problems and my pots symptoms were getting worse. When I went to TCI---Dr. Bolognese saw much more going on. He want's to try conservative measures, but unfortunately they are not working and gravity is taking a toll and the pressure on the lower brain/brainstem is causing more pain and further neurological deficits.

Between a rock and a hard place really as surgery is the LAST thing I want----especially the type of surgery I would need. If you do a google on basilar impression it can get pretty ugly. Dr. Bolognese calls it a retroflex odontoid----but it's found under basilar impression as directed by one of the girls from the WACMA board. One thing I learned, it explained why I have vertabral arteries pressing on the brain stem. I'm guessing the small posterior fossa is a result of the RO and the rest of the mess just followed.

Anyway------the old head is pounding and typing is not helping. Just wanted you to know i'm thinking about you and following your posts and hope you get the very best care possible.

:P ugh... it's almost 3pm... and I'm pumped full of fluids, wearing my compression stockings and I feel like I could just lie here on the cold concrete floor under my desk were it not for the fact that there is a coworker here. I don't teach until 5:30 pm and not sure how I'm going to pull this one off. I think I've run out of mouse fuel! I'm literally sitting here drinking carrot juice hoping that will help. Can't hurt at this point. Okay, done rambling/venting/whatever.

Nina

Corina,

as you can see, I'm hanging out on the forum as a means of keeping myself awake.

A trip to the Netherlands sounds lovely :P it all depends on where we can find the cheapest flights from the US into a major airport in Europe--then it is cheaper to buy the short flight from within Europe to either Zagreb, Split, Zadar or Dubrovnik. Really, there is only one direct flight out of Philly to Dubrovnik and it's way out of our price range. Everything else stops first in a major EU city, and the fares are very high. We'll be looking for sale price flights to anywhere that Croatia Air also serves. This last trip we flew inbound to Philly to Zurich then Zagreb...and outbound to Zagreb to Paris, then Philly.

I know there are flights on Croatia Air to/from Schipol & to/from Zagreb--I wouldn't mind going to Amsterdam again :D ESPECIALLY when the sun is shining in the Summer! We were there during a dark and dreary winter, although you guys sure do blow up lots of firecrackers on New Years to make up for the darkness of the days! I even had my appleflappen and olliballen (spelling?). Yum.

Whew, I'm way off topic. I do feel a bit engergized at the moment--maybe that carrot juice is kicking in! Oh, I know, I have a tiny tiny bit of good news...I've been back on Weight Watchers since before Thanksgiving. It's taken FOREVER, but I finally lost 5lbs. Is tough to lose weight when you're limited in physical activity! I think the physical therapy has helped a bit too--and the steroid shot has DEFINITIELY helped as I have less numbess in one of my 3 affected fingers. Okay, I can see I'm getting my better mouse attitude coming back slowly but surely.

Mouse ramblings off for now... have to same some of my jibber jabbering for my students tonight :) Nina

Nina,

well the mouse fuel really seems to help :P , glad you're feeling a little better. I would love to meet you at Schiphol, whenever you get there. My husband works at KLM that gives us the opportunity to fly for reasonable prices (if places available ofcourse). We live near Amsterdam (I really love to go there because all of the musea and the old city). And yes, we love to do the fireworks and eat appelflappen and oliebollen at newyears eve (as we call oldyears eve or: oudejaarsavond). Okay, off topic, well, hang in there and good luck with your students :P

Corina

Guest Julia59

Nina,

Believe it or not----do you know what I find helps me a little---pain wise anyway, and sometimes with other pots symptoms?

Something really cold with ice chips---like a smoothy or similar drink on the back of the throat cools the neck swelling from the inside out. It's instant, but doesn't last long---but good for about an hour or two. Might help with the swelling of the sinuses.

My son gets sinus infections all the time------pretty much year round. He said his jaws hurt so bad sometimes.

If it's bad enough---I continue drinking something extremely cold like ice water with ice chips to avoid the calories. But I definately get the fun drink first. In the summer it works great with our heat sensitivities. It's only a quick fix, but it's great to get me home if I crash and i'm alone and have to drive. Or maybe to get you through your class.

Hi Nina,

I know you'll have a fun time in Europe no matter where you go. I grew up in Germany and my mother took me all over (except to the UK). This was long before the wall came down and with my fathers job I wasn't allowed anywhere close to East Germany. I wish I could go with you as I've been wanting to go back as an adult!

I'm glad you got your second/third wind and I'm sure you had a good class. Hope you're feeling better!

Denise

I survived...of course :P Putting my pajamas on hasn't felt this good in a while.

Julia, yes, I like the cold drinks too. Helped a lot with my voice problems too. I stopped at a mini mart before class and got one of those really big fountain sodas--filled mostly with ice, and the rest with caffiene free diet stuff. I also drank lots of juice today--carrot, sugar-free cranberry, and this stuff that's high in vitamins that's a mix of fruits and carrots.

I hope to dream of vacation tonight since all my blabbering on the topic :P Nina