Eyes Suddenly Jump Side To Side While Writing??? Kinda Scary!

Katybug

So last night I was trying to write out Xmas cards when a strange new symptom seemed to occur. When I had to start concentrating for my hand to keep writing correctly (because sometimes my hand gets weak and shaky and I will write incorrect letters if not very careful), I would also experience something with my eyes. They (my eyeballs) would quickly jump side to side several times and I could not really see during this. It was less than two seconds in duration and I was fully aware it was happening. It only happened when I was writing the cards. It was like someone put my eyeballs in a shaker and shook it a few times very quickly. Does anyone else have anything like this? It feels scarily close to what I imagine seizure activity feels like but I have been evaluated (January) for seizures and nothing was found. My eyes were thoroughly checked in January and they are in good shape too.

I also have this problem sometimes, and if you have the same thing I do, it's called 'nystagmus.' This can occur when the area of the brain that controls eye movements is not functioning properly (probably due to lack of blood flow), an accident involving injury to the head, lack of vitamin B12, an inner ear problem, as yogini suggested, along with other issues. It makes your eyes go horizontally side-to-side very quickly, and from what I've read, it can also happen vertically. There's more information available if you type in 'nystagmus' and then look under 'NIH,' the National Institute of Health. Hope this helps!

Omega, I think that strabismus is where your eyes cross? I would guess that others here also suffer from this condition...

Thanks everyone. I have had a full work up from the ENT and they can't find anything. I bet it is a blood flow issue because it correlated with the symptoms in my hands and the cognitive issues that accompany my POTSie brain these days. Not that I want you guys to have this, but, its always nice to know I'm not alone. Will look up nystagmus. Thanks!!!