Headaches?

jenwic

I have been having a lot more headaches during the last month. I am now on my third course of antibiotics (all the drs. I've seen seem to think it's a sinus infection).

The headaches sometimes start at the base of my skull where it joins my neck. I've always had this kind occasionally, but now they are daily. I am also having sharp pain around my eyes. There is a tooth (an upper molar) that shoots pain up to my eye. I've had the tooth x-rayed and it is ok.

The brand new headache I'm having is when I cough or bend over I have these stabbing pains in my head. It feels like my skull is going to split open. The pain only lasts for a minute or less.

I'm wondering if these headaches could be a new POTS symptom. Do any of you have headaches like these?

Sounds like potential migraine and it is common for POTSies to also have migraines. When my POTS symptoms are worse, so are the headaches. But, some antibiotics can also cause headaches...did the headaches get worse before or after starting the meds? If it started after, it may be worth trying a different antibiotic if possible.

You might try an ice pack on the back of your neck (wrapped in towel of course) to sooth the headache (mine also radiate from back there and cause lots of heat and inflammation at the base of my skull). Also, there are muscles at the base of your skull that tend to get very tight when the headaches get bad. My chiropractor works on them but also suggests that I use a tennis ball to give myself an easy massage/trigger point treatment at home. Sit in a high backed chair and place the tennis ball where you feel the muscle pain at the base of your skull. You can move your head back and forth to give a massaging feeling or you can stop on any spots that are particularly painful and just press the tennis ball into the back of the chair and stay stationary on that point until it starts to feel like its loosening (about 90 seconds usually). Its amazing how much relief this can provide.

Lately I've been having really extreme headaches. It's like an intense pressure that always occurs in the same areas: my crown, the whole back of my head, or like a mohawk across the top, sometimes in the forehead. My doc took me off of my doxycycline for hormonal acne because apparently that's one of the side effects. But the headaches haven't stopped. I feel like they're getting much worse. Today, for instance, all I've been able to do was lay around and just watch tv or click around on the computer. My focus is shot and I'm falling way behind on school work. These headaches just make everything worse.

I get a lot of pain at the base of my skull, and my neurologist thinks that occipital nerve blocks (that's the part of the brain involved in skull base headaches) would probably help me. I have these headaches almost daily. The whole area where my neck meets my head can even be quite painful to touch. I'm looking into it, have an appointment at Mayo in another month....Will let you know if it gives any relief.

I've had migraines since I was 7 but they had gotten fewer over the years until I got POTS etc. For the last couple years I've been having up to 19 a month.

There is a type of migraine called an "ice pick" headache. You might want to research those to see if it fits your symptoms. It does sound like some type of migraine especially with the pain with coughing or bending over.

I've had the occipital nerve block recommended by the neuro at Scottsdale. It helped a lot with the pain at the base of my skull that felt like hitting my funny bone every time I turned my head or sometimes even moving my eyes. It didn't help with my overall migraine number significantly but it was great not to have that particular pain which did seem to trigger some of the headaches.... or at least made the headaches that much MORE painful. Unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover those particular injections for migraines.

So far Relpax and phenergan have been the most successful combination at getting rid of the pain and nausea. However it seems to trigger a lot more of my autonomic symptoms so I try to avoid using it unless the headache is to the point of making me unable to function at all.

Katybug,

I'm definitely going to try the tennis balls! I always feel better when I can massage the back of my neck at the base of my skull. It's pretty hard to do that alone , though.

Kirsti,

I increased my Florinef dose in June, but the headaches didn't hit until Sept. Dr. Grubb said the headaches probably aren't related, but it is still a possibility.

Chaos,

I'll have to read up on the ice pick headaches. This last antibiotic doesn't seem to be helping. I have one pill left, but the headaches are still here.

The headaches seem to get worse with stress, but are also with me when I am just at home relaxing.

Hi Jen,

I'm sorry you're having so many headaches. Have you ever been tested for a Chiari Malformation? When you said that the headaches are at the base of your skull, and are made worse with coughing, it made me think of Chiari. Others have described the Chiari headache in that way. Chiari has been discussed here in the past, so you might find some helpful topics in a search.

I have pain sometimes in/behind my eyes. My doctors determined that it was a migraine causing that pain.

I hope your doctors can figure out what is causing these different types of pain that you are experiencing, and I hope that you will be able to find good treatment and relief soon.

Rachel

From what I understand a Chiari 1 malformation doesn't show up at birth. It is something that comes later on in life. The severity of symptoms can vary depending on the severity of the Chiari.

Here are some links that might be helpful:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chiari-malformation/DS00839

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/chiari/detail_chiari.htm

DBP4620, I am now on Depakote daily as a preventative and it is working (I went from having 2-4 migraines a week to only having about 2 mild ones a month and I've only been on it 2 months.) I did try Topamax but it sent me into orbit with my POTS...really awful! I also have a prescription for Maxalt MLT for the occassions when I so still get a migraine and this does work well for me in alleviating the acute symptoms.

jenwic, I was thinking...have you seen a neurologist that specializes in headaches? This might be a good next step as I have found since my POTS dx that there are quite a variety of migraines and even other types of headaches and even more possible treatments. Also, if your insurance will cover it, you may want to see a chiropractor for the headaches until you can get a handle on them. I swear my chiro is the only thing that kept me going for as long as I did (4 yrs) trying to get a dx for all this crazy stuff.

Rachel,

Thanks! I'll definitely check those links out.

Katybug,

I've been seriously considering a chiropractor. I went to one a few years ago. I think that might be my next step. If that doesn't work , I might try a neurologist.