Does Compression Stockings Help With Pooling?

RichGotsPots

There was a thread about this a couple weeks ago. One of our male members posted about some athletic leggings that didn't look quite like compression hose. My favorite is Jobst Relief. I wear thigh-high 30-40mmHg but started with 20-30mm. The Jobst Relief are less expensive and more durable but not quite as soft as the more pricey types. Some on this forum have liked the Juzo brand.

You don't have to have changes in BP in order to have pooling. One of the diagnostic criteria for POTS is that the BP is relatively unchanged (or in some cases, goes up on standing) but only the HR rises on standing. It's still a signal that the brain isn't well-perfused and is trying to increase our heart's cardiac output by increasing the HR.

Hose won't make stomach pooling worse. There are waist-high hose or even abdominal binders that can provide abdominal compression if you need it.

Try typing in compression hose in the search bar and you'll get lots of results!

I have some compression stockings I got through a doctor's prescription, but unfortunately they have never seemed to help me out much. They're waist high, and I can't get them on without someone helping me. I may try knee high to see if they'll make a difference. Since I live in Tucson, the waist highs are pretty warm most of the year!

Go to www.brightlifedirect.com they have alot of brands to choose from including their own-Allegro. They are probably the most reasonable and very helpful with finding the right type of hose for you. I wear thigh high 30-40mmhg hose-Allegro & Jobst brands. The Jobst are harder to get on and more expensive than the Allegro brand. My insurance doesn't cover support hose so I have to purchase them out-of-pocket. Check with your insurance to see if they cover support hose. If they do, you will need to get a prescription from your doctor to get them covered. Good luck. :)

I have some compression stockings I got through a doctor's prescription, but unfortunately they have never seemed to help me out much. They're waist high, and I can't get them on without someone helping me. I may try knee high to see if they'll make a difference. Since I live in Tucson, the waist highs are pretty warm most of the year!

UGH I have living in AZ and trying to wear stockings! Is almost December and I had the AC on in the car yesterday still...we are living in the wrong state with POTS lol

Great, sounds like they will help, so I'm going to try them. Does anyone know what is the correct compression for our pooling or is it just trial an error? They seem expensive for just trials.. Did you ever see the infomercial for one, I forget the name but it was only $10.. I did see the men's leggings post but only my feet and hands get cold the rest of me is boiling :) so I can never wear tight clothes...

The stockings didn't help me, but they help a lot of people so worth a try I think. I'm curious about the pooling question too because when I wore the stockings my feet still turned red or purple. I don't understand how this is possible ....if the color change in the feet is from pooling in the legs.. how can there still be pooling when the legs are being so compressed by the stockings??

Rich,

Try the website for "Discount Surgical Supplies". They have a wide range of options for men and women in various price ranges. They have compressions socks that look like cotton sport socks but are knee highs that do actually work (I have them to wear with my sneakers). My cardio had me start w/ the 15-20 mmhg which is a light medium compression. She said we could work up from there if need be.

Katie

Rich,

I find that I don't got any hotter in these than regular socks. The material is more about what is comfortable for you and what type of shoes you are wearing. If you are in a large city, you should be able to find a medical pharmacy where you can go and feel the different fabrics (even if you don't buy from them due to price). This is another one of those issues for POTS patients that is going to take some trial and error. I will say this...I was skeptical that the $10-$15 sport sock options I found online would work or hold up in the wash. I have been pleasantly surprised to find they work and wash well as long as you don't put them in the dryer (just hang dry).

Katie

• 3 months later...

I wear knee high compression stocking all the time now. I have a dress sock one that is 18-25 compression and tighter one that is 30-40 compression.

Does anyone wear the 40-50 compression? Also for those of you who wear the thigh high ones, how does it feel on your knees? It looks like I wouldn't be able to bend the knee too well with those...

My compression stockings are the ONLY way that I make it through a day at work!!! I like the Jobst Relief waist high stockings in 30-40mmHg. They are one of the few things that I can say make a dramatic difference in my POTS!!!

• 2 months later...

thanks I have since tried them and I use truform 30-40mmHg knee high. I want to get thigh high ones next but trueform doesnt make them. I tried to buy a jobst knee high 40-50mmHg but the measurements were off and the toe was a weird fit.. its hard even wearing the knee highs in this heat, to be honest...