Mighty Mouse EMG Today

Guest tearose

Guest tearose

Good Morning Nina!

You have to get up and out and there for an 8:30 am appointment! Dress warmly and be careful on those snowy roads.

Maybe you can just think of this as a very special acupuncture session? :D

I'm going to send lots of soothing thoughts your way for many hours.

I know you know what to expect so...take it easy mighty!

Let them know if you want them to stop...afterall, if you are feeling everything, all is working and you shouldn't need to go on.

Talk to you later, tearose

that's so sweet of you tea :D Thanks! I'm in my polarfleece top, sturdy pants, wool socks and some good boots...I'm heading out NOW (7am) to do the trip that's normally 40 minutes--I've left myself and hour and half, so I'm hoping that does the trick.

Yea, I don't usually feel too much below the elbow--it's when the hit the nerves in my biceps that really sing! :) Nina

Edited by MightyMouse

Thanks peeps...

I'm feeling a bit sore and have hematomas up and down my arms--being a human pincushion and electrical circuit is not fun and I didn't get any good news, just bad news. Bad changes on the EMG, including denervation of my left triceps and fasciculations up and down my left arm that should not be present. You know nothing good is coming when the doctor says... "okay, this is serious...I didn't expect to see these changes."

Off to schedule ANOTHER MRI of my neck.

On a good note, though, I was able to take my mind off the pain an numbness at Target (Tar--jay) and bought some really cute stuff for my new nephew, who is about 13 hours old right now... Harrison Nathan, 5 lb 15 oz, born by emergency c-section after my sister had been in labor since 5 am yesterday and failed to progress after meds. Everyone is well :) This is her 2nd husband's first child--and her 4th.

Nina

Guest Mary from OH

Nina,

Ouch!! Your EMG didn't sound like much fun, nor the results. I'm going to my pain mgmt dr tomorrow to discuss such things..... I have to agree that the Target idea rocks!! Isn't that just the coolest store?? :)

On an upnote, I GET MY TENS unit, finally!! :) I'm excited!

Sorry to hear of ANOTHER upcoming MRI for you. Sometimes, don't you just feel like a human guinea pig? Well, rest up for the next exciting episode!!

Take care!!

Guest Julia59

Oh Nina,

I'm sorry the EMG didn't show good results. And now you have to deal with another neck MRI. I'm wondering if they should also investigate other area's of your spine as well---just to make sure you don't have further issues in addition to your cervical spinal issues.

On a happier note, congratulations on your new niece! I'm glad everyone came out well---just a little longer healing for your sister.

Hang in there--i'm thinking positive thoughts for you.

Julie

I feel so bad that you had to have another EMG. I had one attempted on my left arm 2 years ago and they had to stop it because I was so overly sensitive to the pain and couldn't hold still and was crying. I would take an MRI anyday after that one attempt. Sorry that you didn't get a better report. I have been having terrible neck, shoulder and bottom of head pains that don't seem to respond to much of anything and I believe I have lost some muscle mass in my forearms as well. I was wondering if they were worse because of these recent storm systems. Which institution did your EMG? I hope you recoever soon. Martha

Hi Martha, (and everyone else), my neuro did the emg in his office at St. Mary's Medical Center--it's in Bucks County PA--at least I got the consolation prize of the pretty snowfall and nice countryside to look at there and back.

I have 4 doctors of my medical team affiliated w/ St. Mary's--my gp, neuro, gastro and gyn. My pain management group is part of Temple Hospitals, EP Cardio & ENT with Hosp of U of Penn, pulmonologist is with Capitol Health (Mercer) & UMDNJ-Hamilton, and only my allergist is unaffiliated in private practice.

Uh, yeah, MRI's are NOTHING... just lay still and meditate through the jackhammering noises. The EMG is so barbaric. My doctor had to do some stuff with my middle finger and was acutely aware that I was in pain--he said, "yes, please give me the finger, I know I deserve it right now anyway" :) I told him he better be careful or I'd curse at him the way I curse at my gynocologist with he does a biopsy...and he told me "go right ahead!" So I did :) I let loose my inner-New Yorker... I may have moved away, but that trucker mouth will always be there in the background.

Love and hugs to you all for being so kind to, 1) start this thread to cheer me up and 2) give me all your kind words and thoughts. It's much appreciated.

Nina

Hi Nina, Sorry to hear about the bad EMG results!!! That is a real bummer. Yeah I can have that trucker mouth on occasion. It feels good to let loose sometimes. Its good that you can have a sense of humor despite. Humor is sometimes the only way.

Keep smiling and watch that mouth of yours!

Dawn

Guest tearose

Oh Nina, I bet you are sore! I don't even want to think about it! I ache to just remember my emg from years ago! I wish you didn't get the news that things don't seem good. I am sorry for that. I hope the MRI helps figure this all out for you. okay, another test... you're on a roll! Can you have the mri soon so you get the answers soon and then hopefully some relief soon! Hang in there...but be assertive with that mri appointment.

How wonderful that you have a new nephew! Enjoy meeting your new little guy!

feel better, tearose

Oh, man, I swear you all are gonna make me cry. Been a tough day. Teri's working on getting me an MRI at her hospital, that way we can make sure the contrast actually happens and that I immediately get a report.

I did go back to the pharmacy today with my oxycontin script... he verified it with the doctor's office, but they're all out until tomorrow's shipment :) Uh, I could really use a little extra pain relief about now, but I do have some percoset to take, so I think I will so that I can sleep. My muscles in my left arm are still spasming, what the **** is that about?

I was being naughty, shopping online--but I did get my sister (the new mom) a ring that has her new boy's garnet birthstone in it. Oh, and nice wool blankie for me :)

I start PT in the morning, see my gastro in the afternoon and then have class tomorrow night in Philly. I'll take your good thoughts with me as I head out for the day. You all are the best.

Nina

Nina, Nina, Nina...

You are a true glutton for punishment :)

***** about your bad news.. what on earth is going on, anyway, you thinK? Scar tissue from your surgery... more herniated disks.. ?? Good luck with that percoset.. I know you like it.. but it never has done me a bit of good except to maybe make me a little drowsy. Hope it at least takes the edge off your pain...

*big hugs* except for your arm... :)

Hope you can get moving on your MRI soon.

As for me, I'm waiting to hear back from my doc about my neck. Seems like it should have gone away by now, but it's still there, though a bit less intense. And the Bactrim he gave me for the UTI hasn't kicked in after 4 full days, so that's sort of odd too. My old GP used to give me Cipro, so maybe my flora is resistent to something like Bactrim.

Anywho, hugs and smooches..

J

Hi Nina,

In spite of all your pain and trials and tribulations, your determination to find a positive, cheery note about something never ceases to amaze me! :)

I am very sorry your EMG was so painful. I had two of them several years ago and hated every second of them. I had a weird pain in one of my arms, too, for about a day or so following the EMG, and then it went away.

Just wanted to let you know I'm sending comforting, pain-free thoughts your way. Hope you find some relief soon. :)

Hoo boy am I glad I never went through with the emg my neurologist ordered a few months ago ... the scrip is still sitting on my dresser! Sounds pretty awful ... and for me, wearing a wrist brace for a while helped with the carpal tunnel pain. Sorry you had to go through all this, Nina ... wishing you better days,

merrill

Hi again nightowls... Janet, I'm not as big of fan of the percocet any more...it only helps if I double the dose...and tonight that did nothing. Took some Ambien a few minutes ago and hope to feel drowsy soon. :)

I have to look at the postitive stuff in my world, otherwise, I'd just be so overwhelmed I'd not be able to function mentally--and since my physical body is defective, at least I can keep my mental "body" working happily as I can.

My sisters, mom and stepdad are all in CT, which is about 3.5 hours driving from here one way. I wont be able to get up there this coming weekend, but perhaps the first weekend in Feb...which will be good b/c it's also the new mommy's birthday on the 3rd. I still have all their Hannukah gifts here to truck up there! And, x-mas gifts for my other sister (converted to Catholic) and her two boys.

Honestly, I've got not a clue what's going on with my arms and left side. The herniations appear to be dominantly right sided. Merrill, yes there are 3 herniations in my c-spine right now. 1 above my fused c5-6 and 2 below there running to t-1. I'm wondering if maybe a full spinal and cranial eval isn't in order? Teri has my MRI rx and my prior MRI reports to get me into their facility asap. If it doesn't give good ideas about what's happening, I'm not sure what to do next?

My doctor said he's worried and concerned, and even with the MRI from last month, wants a new one now. I was a bit stunned and it didn't dawn on me to even ask what are teh possibiilities where looking to rule in/out??

Oh boy, I'm a rambling mouse... some things never change, right Janet?? :) you endured serveral years of my tirades in postsurgical recovery phases of my life.

Oh, I know one more nice thing to share with you today. I got a hand written letter from Dr. Grubb. He's making some progress, but he sounds a bit frustrated at the slow pace of his progress. He also said that it has helped him to know how many people were sending healing wishes. :D

MMmmmm. I think I feel a little drowsey. Bed time number 2... ding ding... lets hope she's down for the count!

Oh Yeah!! The sleepiness is here. Time to scurry up stairs and make a little mouse nest for a few hours. Love and hugs to you all.

Oh, and keep sending good thoughts to Emily...and to Doctor Grubb ... and to anyone else you know of who really needs to feel cared for and healthier...

screen blurry...good sign :) hello pillow

Guest Julia59

Hey Nina,

I just realized I said niece---and not nephew------what a dingy I am.

UUUGGGGG-----my mind where is it. I could have swore I read niece.

Anyway, congratulations on your new NEPHEW! I bet he's a cutie.

Wishing things will get better for you. Good luck with your MRI.

Julie :0)

Corina, you're not mixed up in my eyes :)

I'm sore, but thanks for asking. I had spasms in my muscles for most of yesterday. I'm also covered in some pretty ugly bruises.

I started physical therapy yesterday too--and the evaluation they did set of more spasms. All I can say is thank GOODNESS for the oxycontin my doctor gave me. I took it last night and got a really good night's sleep. :) I did have some more spasming today, but not nearly as bad as yesterday.

MRI is Friday at 4pm--it's good to have an inside connection at the hospital; I only had to wait 3 days. I should be able to get the report from the radiologist as soon as it is available.

Nina

Guest tearose

Gosh Nina, you sound like you were in an accident with all those dents and bruises! How did you manage the physical therapy? In tears?

I am relieved you got the oxy stuff to help deal with the pain.

You've been through the mill lately, good thing that MRI is friday. I'm glad you have an inside connection that makes the process a bit easier to manage.

Isn't it crummy when we spend more time in the "fix it shop" than our car? Well, maybe after this diagnosis and "tune up" you'll be good for another 40,000 miles! :)

...happy motoring?...tearose