Positive Ana Screening

Darlene

i have been feeling pretty sick lately. i seen my neurologist a few weeks ago, she ordered labs. today went over them with me today. she said my ANA was positive and is sending my to a rheumatologist. not sure what the positive ANA means, but i know i sure havent been feeling well. i have also suspected mast cell, even though i have not been tested for this. can u have test positive for ANA if u have mast cell?

So sorry to hear. ANA can be elevated due to inflammation, autoimmune or medication. But there are other tests to be done to confirm any diagnosis. I have had false positives years ago before I got really sick. I hope it's a false alarm for you too. Hang in there. I don't know about the testing for mast cell and whether or not it will show a positive for that. But good question. Feel better!

I have had positive ANA's over the last 7 years. Whenever I was feeling really terrible for whatever reason, but probably autoimmune stuff, my ANA would be positive. Then it would go down a month or two later. I have seem numerous rheumatologists, before POTS diagnosis, who couldnt make sense of it. I think it flares in times of stress.

I also have a really high abnormal ANA results. I was sent to a rheumatologist who told me that a lot of young females have an elevated ana and more than likely it means nothing. He did not do any further testing but lectured me about nutrition (because I'm very tiny AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN) but he doesn't know that and apparently doesn't believe me, i'm sure he just thought i was anorexic or something. He was telling me what to eat and to eat all this meat and stuff