Pots In New York Times

icesktr189

Not a bad article explaining the symptoms.....but would have liked if it didnt lean so heavily on it only affecting young people and that it can so easily be managed if you follow the below guidelines :( there is sooo much more to it than that!!! (and the comment about getting out there and not letting it run your life....these dr's should try it out and see how far they can push through a day lol! good luck to them!)

Bren

I agree with you Bren. I would love to see those drs. do aerobic and strength training in the same day. Also, what about the kids that don't "grow out of it". Many people that have POTS symptoms as teens have flare ups later in life. I think it can just sit dormant for a while and then affects you again like lupus or MS.

But at least there is some media coverage. When it hit me in my teens everybody just thought I was either lazy or crazy!

I wish that doctors could feel what it is like to be in our body for a week . They would be screeming to get out! This is a horrible life changing illness that would take the strongest to their knees. There is always hope that we can get better, but it takes so much patients. It is always just waiting for us to make the wrong move, like stay in any kind of heat too long, stand, even set, move around too much, even lying sometimes you stay dizzy for hours or longer, get too cold, exercise and etc. this list can go on and on. B) Love you all!

This article seems to make very light of this illness. While there are some people that respond to meds and can lead a fairly, normal life, I don't think that's the norm. My daughter was completely down and unable to be upright for more than 3 and a half years. We tried so many medications that our medicine cabinet looked like a pharmacy. Thankfully, she is walking and getting back to a more normal life but the POTS isn't magically gone. She certainly isn't playing sports and she's missed out on more school events and fun than I care to think about. Also, it seems that girls/women are much worse than boys/men. I know of one mom that I was corresponding with who had a son with POTS and within a year and a half, he was back to sports. My daughter has had it for 4 and a half years and still isn't to that point!

We need more articles and books on autonomic illnesses that tell the whole story about what it's like to live with illness! Doctors who have never experienced being sick like some of you and my daughter, really have no idea what it's like. Easy for them to say to just get and live your life.

Brenda