Increased Nitric Oxide In A Major Pots Subset

ramakentesh

One of the three large subgroups of POTS patients - Normal Flow POTS - catagorised by stomach/splanchnic blood pooling and excessive peripheral vasoconstriction on standing seems to be linked to increased endothelial nitric oxide synthesis through abherant nitrergic nerve activity:

http://ajpheart.physiology.org/content/early/2011/05/31/ajpheart.00171.2011.abstract

This would explain the effectiveness of Tumeric in this subgroup.

these results also confirmed in:

http://www.ajconline...0783-6/abstract

Crazy situation where nitric oxide defiency could cause some forms of POTS and too much nitric oxide could cause others...

it could explain the results of B12 injections in CFS patients (if they have POTS) as is it a potent nitric oxide scavenger. Tumeric, green tea and other scavengers would also be helpful potentially?? If on the other hand a person had bad responses to these types of scavengers or even more indicatively, bad reactions to competitive nitric oxide inhibators this might point the other direction (potentially).

Tumeric also made me feel terrible

A large subset of POTS patients seem to have a primary problem where there is too much of a vasodilating molecule in their stomach circulation - causing excessive pooling specific to that location.

Another subset have too much angiotensin II which may be either effecting norepinephrine vasoconstriction, reuptake or neuronal / endothelial nitric oxide levels.

• 4 weeks later...

Kind of makes me wonder if we can move between the sub-groups....

I could have sworn that I was a low-flow based upon the excessive amount of vasoconstriction that I have- severe reynauds. BUT I have benefitted from turmeric in the past- I've since developed a hypersensitivity to it :blink:- which seems to indicate normal-flow. Hmmmmm

So what am I low-flow or normal-flow?Could I be both? Can we move between the groups?

Aha, thanks Rama. I guess I must be "normal-flow" after all. Any stress (orthostatic or otherwise) will set off my Raynaud's, but I can usually get blood to my extremities when I lie down.

It's intermittently cooling off here in the South- we've dipped to freezing a few times and so far NO EXTREME vasospasms of my fingers and toes yet. Last winter I sported black fingers much of the time. The only thing I'm doing differently (as I can't tolerate any traditional treatment) is magnesium. It's relaxed my vasculature tremendously and even improved my tachy. My wonder mineral :D

Hi Ramakantesh,

I couldn't open the link on your first message - could you post it again. Thanks.

Also if tumeric etc helps for normal flow is there something that helps increase NO for low flow - if this might be partially causing the problem?

Thanks