Heart Monitors?

misstraci

I had a holter monitor a long time ago before POTS but was curious if anyone of you have had either an event monitor or a loop recorder? I was thinking about asking about it at my next appointment.

I know that the loop recorder is implanted, is that right? How is the event monitor done?

I have worn an event monitor several times. You wear the a small box in a small case that is attached to electrodes that are stuck on your chest for a number of days. Each time you feel flutters or just something strange you are suppose to press a button. The doctor reads the your heart rhythms and compare them to when you indicated that you were feeling something. The problem is that if you do not wear the monitor long enough to have an "episode" then nothing shows up and you are back to hearing that nothing is wrong with you.

I have an implanted loop monitor. (Specifically, a Reveal monitor from a company called Medtronic.) It was placed in my chest during a quick, outpatient procedure. It took maybe 10 minutes? It was placed by Dr. Blair Grubb, and he has done tons of them, so I imagine that factors into how quickly the procedure went. I have had mine for about 2 and a half years, and it is just so convenient. I do have a device I can use to tell the monitor to record, that I feel dizzy, but I don't use it. The monitor automatically records anytime I go outside of certain parameters preselected by Dr. Grubb. I have a device that is plugged into my home phone line that I use to upload the info from my recorder to Dr. Grubb's office, which as I live over two hours away this is quite handy. I didn't want a Holter monitor because I really didn't need anything else to lug around with me. I also have family history of an incredibly rare, but extremely dangerous heart defect, so having a more extensive look at what was going on was warranted. Thankfully, there has been no evidence that I share that particular problem! The battery lasts about three years if I remember correctly, and based on what we has seen I think it is fairly likely when we remove this one it will not be replace by a fresh one.

Sandy

I have a loop recorder. It has been helpful in diagnosing some of my rhythms that are causing me problems. My batter died a few months ago and lasted about 20 months. Not sure if the doctor will put a new one in or not. Pretty painless overall, quick out patient surgery to put it in.

Brye

thank you. the loop recorder is very interesting to me. I'm glad that it's a quick and fairly painless procedure, etc. if a heart rhythm abnormality is suspected, is that the only time they'd suggest one you think? What about not knowing the reasons for pre-syncope/syncope episodes?

I've also had an event recorder, but like the holter, they come back "normal" because they didn't see any abnormal rhythyms that they could fix :). When my GP looked at my holter results, though, and saw that my 48 hour heart rate average was 99, he said, " I don't know exactly what normal is supposed to be, but that's definitely not it!". :)