Help! My Sleep Is Crazy!

icesktr189

I cant sleep more than 4 hours at a time. I went to bed at 7pm because I was SO tired and woke up at 11 pm. This happens every single night. Then I stay awake until 3 am then my daughter wakes up at 7 am, so I dont get another nap until she goes down at noon and its only an hour and a half.

It doesnt matter if I stay awake until 11 pm because I will still just wake up four hours later. I dont want to take sleep aids because I react very weird to them. They seem to take forever to kick in and then they knock me out for like 12 hours.

I occasionally take klonopin, but if I start taking it nightly, it does not make me tired because I get used to them. I know I am not getting a good quality of sleep anymore. I wake up feeling like I havent slept at all.

However, the days that my fiance has a day off, he lets me sleep in. I can sleep WAY better during the day than at night. If I allowed my body to do its own thing, I would end up going to bed around 4 am to 6 am and then sleep all day. I feel like I naturally have a completely reversed sleep schedule :(

I agree with Lindsey.Do you know what your vitamin d level is? If that is low it will cause alot of fatigue.Maybe one of your meds may be the cause? Are you on anything new? If this keeps up I would talk to your doctor about it. I was having sleep issues myself and my neuro order a sleep study. I had severe sleep apnea and didn't even know it.

dani, i have this problem on and off. i fall asleep quite easily, wake up after an hour (or even after 5 minutes) and stay awake for 3 to 4 hours. i then fall asleep again but when i don't use my alarmclock will sleep until noon.

although it really is exhausting you do need to try keep to a "normal" schedule as it can mix up your sleeping pattern totally. your little girl will help you stay awake, but i fully understand how exhausting it is. could you get someone in to be there when your little one wakes up in the afternoon so that you can grab another hour of sleep?

or maybe a sleep study could shed some light on your problem.

It sounds like you have a very messed up circadian rhythm. Mine is delayed by a few hours, but not as badly as yours. It's so hard when your body is telling you to sleep when everyone else is awake.

Have you ever had a sleep study? That may be beneficial in pinpointing specific sleep disorders.

I have tried numerous treatments for sleep - everything from different meds to natural supplements to orange glasses that make your body think it is night time. The only thing that helps me consistently is melatonin. I take 3mg every night. It helps me to fall asleep and stay asleep without making me groggy in the morning like sleep meds do.

I sure hope you can find something to help. It's no fun to continually battle a messed up sleep schedule.

Rachel

Dani,

You asked what I was talking about. Are you referring to the glasses I mentioned? They are orange and I call them my "sleep glasses." They block out blue light, and this causes your body to begin producing melatonin, the natural sleep hormone. Wearing blue light blocking glasses in the evening can help to regulate circadian rhythm. These are the ones I have: http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S1933X-Eyewear-SCT-Orange-Anti-Fog/dp/B000USRG90/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315018432&sr=8-2 They aren't fashionable, but they did help me to get sleepy when my sleep cycle was at its worst. I would wear the glasses for a couple of hours before I wanted to fall asleep. I still had to take a melatonin supplement, but the glasses gave the added boost of melatonin that I needed when I was at my worst.

Rachel