Bad Week

GingerA

I hate to be a whiner but this has been an TERRIBLE week! I have had adrenaline surges every night so I am not sleeping. Finally I caved and took some Klonopine just so I could get some rest. Now I can't tell if I am dragging because of POTS or from lingering side effects of the medicine. On top of that my dad who had a heart attack a month ago has decided that he is refusing treatment now and is leaving the hospital. Guess where he is coming. MY HOUSE! Which means I have a few hours to get everything ready for his homecoming instead of a few weeks and my brain fog is terrible. I took me an hour just to find everything to make myself an omelet this morning.

Don't get me wrong. I love him very much and do not begrudge the fact that he is going to stay with me but I worry that I can't hold up to take care of him. However, I am the only one of my sibling that is not working (I had to leave my job due to POTS) so there is no one to help me. (A fact that they repeatedly throw in my face).

I'm just so exhausted.

Sounds like you have had a very stressful week! You are going to need everyone in your family to pitch in and help take care of your dad. Even children (if they're old enough)can help out in many ways. Maybe your siblings could take your dad for a while in the evenings and on weekends. Or they could come to your house and help out then. Do you have a program in your area where senior citizens can go and be watched during the daytime (like a babysitter)? They have that where I live.

Hope you get some help lined up!

I wonder if hospital Social Services would not only check in on him, but you as well. Perhaps you could explain your condition so they know you are fragile. I only say this because I am the same way, I tend to buckle under stress since my diagnosis. It might be comforting for you to know there is someone in the wings, even if you end up not needing them. Wishing you well :rolleyes:

Does he have friends you can call on? When my husband had his heart attack 3 yrs ago, neighbors and friends just showed up asking how to help. and I gave them tasks. I also called some of his friends and asked for help before they offered. I would not hesitate to do that.

I agree, if all else fails contact your local social services dept and find out what services they can provide. I hope the rest of the family can help.

Call up his health insurance. I used to be a caregiver and go to a persons house everyday for a number of hours (depending on their disability level ) the insurance covers all of it almost always. look and see if he has taxi services. Most of my clients had their doctors come to them.

I would clean, cook and take care of them. Most days I was their a min. Of 4 hours, mostly 8 everyday. My clients were not rich and used their.insurance.