Flying

I am going to Mayo from Pit and have had lots of problems flying even with compression garments and gallons of water. Any other suggestions?? I am terrified. This trip I must take alone, although I normally limit my trips to when my husband can accompany me. :)

HI Miriam,

In addition to the things you mentioned, I know that having a letter stating your condition and any other accomodations you require might be a good idea. Also, I know others have suggested taking Xanax or maybe Klonopin just before flying to help ease anxiety.

This topic has come up several times in the past. I am pretty sure there was a recent post about this just in the last few months. If you do a search on flying you can find probably find many helpful posts. I would do some further research for you, but I can't because I'm at work right now and have to get back at it! :) I can relate to your concerns though. I've never had a fear of flying until I was diagnosed in July with POTS and MVP. I'm afraid I'll panic and flip out on the plane and really embarrass myself. It sounds silly, but true! I will be flying to AZ on vacation in May, so I'll be reading up on those previous posts as well! Take care. :P

What kinds of problems do you have when you fly? What are you most concerned about--and trying in advance to solve?

I feel like passing out even with added meds. I'm confused, and on a longer trip at christmas passed out.

Miriam,

I went to Mayo in Sept. and was SO worried about the flight. At the time I was feeling terrible -- much worse than I am now. I loaded up on fluids and salt, wore compression hose and kept my meds with me, and I didn't have any problem on the flight. The flight wasn't that long, but I made sure to get up and walk around a couple of times to help the circulation. I would suggest watching the movie or bringing bringing a book or music to keep your mind off POTS.

One thing which REALLY helped was notifying the airline in advance that I needed special assitance. I was stressed out about having to wait in horrendous security line at LaGuardia and walking what seems like miles to the gate. Normally, I could handle this distance, but I wasn't feeling well and I didn't want to take any chance that I'd miss my appointment. So on the way there, I decided to use a wheelchair from check-in until I boarded the plane. This was an extra safety precaution to make sure I made it onto the plane. Once I got there, and on the way back, we just hopped a ride on the cart and that worked just as well as the wheelchair.

I am hoping to go to CA by myself this spring, and I think I will again use the cart .

Hope you have a safe flight and a productive trip!

Miriam,

I went to Mayo in Sept. and was SO worried about the flight.  At the time I was feeling terrible -- much worse than I am now.  I loaded up on fluids and salt, wore compression hose and kept my meds with me, and I didn't have any problem on the flight.  The flight wasn't that long, but I made sure to get up and walk around a couple of times to help the circulation.  I would suggest watching the movie or bringing bringing a book or music to keep your mind off POTS.

One thing which REALLY helped was notifying the airline in advance that I needed  special assitance. I was stressed out about having to wait in horrendous security line at LaGuardia and walking what seems like miles to the gate.  Normally, I could handle this distance, but I wasn't feeling well and I didn't want to take any chance that I'd miss my appointment.  So on the way there, I decided to use a wheelchair from check-in until I boarded the plane.  This was an extra safety precaution to make sure I made it onto the plane.  Once I got there, and on the way back, we just hopped a ride on the cart and that worked just as well as the wheelchair.

I am hoping to go to CA by myself this spring, and I think I will again use the cart . 

Hope you have a safe flight and a productive trip!

Guest tearose

Miriam, try to think of what you will need to make yourself comfortable before during and when you arrive. Then tailor your preparations to your needs. Get a note from your pcp which explains your medical condition and pack your special travel totebag/backpack with whatever will help you. Any food, drink, compression and assist devices should be with you and I always take a spare of what is really essential. Due to my swelling I must walk a bit in the asile during flight, and my medical note says that...so should yours if you wish to get up and walk in the asile. I also needed to clear security differently because of my special lymphedema compression sleeve and my heart monitor. Preparation takes a lot of the stress and bother out of travel.

As a former flight attendant I would also suggest you wear long pants, soft shoes and take a small flashlight in your carry on. And like others have said...drink lots of water!

Good wishes as you prepare, tearose

Just thought that I would add that I sometimes take my own pillow and after the plane is up in the air and it is safe, I lie down and, if it is a longer flight, I go to sleep. If there is not an empty seat or seats next to me, I would let the flight attendants know that I have a medical problem and need to lie down and ask if there is an area of seats available for me to go and lie down. Plus it is always nice to have your own pillow when you are away from home!

Etoly

I fly about 10-12 round trip flights a year. My flying time is like 5 hours...6.5 when you add the lay over. I change planes in Dallas, Texas and walk to the next gate fine...well first you get on the tram and then go to the next terminal and then RUN to the next gate with all my stuff...I feel fine afterwards...but thats just me and I seem to be different than most on this site anyway...but dont worry about the flight; it will be fine!

How to Avoid Deep Vein Thrombosis on Long Plane Flights

I always post this article when this topic comes up. Even though your flight will not be that long, you might want to consider some of the exercises that are listed.

http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/fitfact...?itemid=290What precautions can you take?

In addition, you can

Walk around the cabin every 15 to 30 minutes if possible during flights of three hours or longer

Do some simple stretching exercises while seated

Sleep only for short periods?up to 30 minutes at a time

Limit alcohol and caffeine, which may contribute to dehydration

Bring your own water bottle, or request water if your flight has a beverage service

Walk briskly through the airport during layovers

In-flight exercises

Ankle turns: Lift your feet off the floor and move your toes in a circle, one foot moving clockwise and the other foot moving counterclockwise. Change direction and repeat.

Foot lifts: Place your heels on the floor and bring your toes up as high as you can. Then put both feet back flat on the floor. Then pull your heels up while keeping the balls of your feet on the floor.

Knee lifts: While keeping your knee bent, raise your leg while tensing your thigh muscle. Repeat 20 to 30 times, alternating legs.

Shoulder rolls: Raise your shoulders and then move them forward, downward and then backward in a smooth circular movement.

Arm bends: Start with your elbows on the armrests and your hands pointed forward so that your lower and upper arms make a 90-degree angle. Take turns moving your left and then your right hand toward your chest and back, and continue for 30 seconds.

Knee to chest: Bend slightly forward. Fold your hands together around your left knee and pull it toward your chest. Hold this position for 15 seconds and let your knee drop slowly. Change legs and repeat.

Forward bends: Place both feet on the floor and pull your abdomen in. Bend slowly forward and ''walk'' your fingers along your shins to your ankles. Hold for 15 seconds and sit up slowly.

Upper-body stretch: Stretch both arms over your head. With your right hand, grab your left wrist and pull it slowly to the right. Hold for 15 seconds and change arms.

Shoulder stretch: With your right hand, grab your left elbow and pull your outstretched left arm slowly toward your right shoulder. Hold for 15 seconds and change arms.

Neck roll: Relax your shoulders, let your head drop to your right shoulder and roll your head slowly to the front and then to your left side. Repeat five times.

Hi Miriam:

I can really relate to your fainting issue. I have had the same experience many times. I agree with everyone that you should be sure to alert the airlines in advance about your trouble and get them on board (so to speak) with the issues you are dealing with....I don't know if you are wheelchair bound. If not, I would recommend it just for conserving energy and keeping your body at a more even physical pace....also, airline people tend to respond a lot better to people who are VISIBLY handicapped in some way....this makes me crazy actually....there are so many of us who are so sick and get the "but you look great!" comment all the time....if they only knew.

Also, for me, fluid and blood volume is a huge issue and obstacle....especially when flying....do you have access to a doc or hospital that can "tank you up" with a ton of IV fluids right before you leave...say the day before or the day of? This has made a difference for me.

Best of luck! Try to stay positive....I know how scary it is....

By the way, do you wear a medic alert bracelet or carry a letter from your doc about your condition in the event that you do faint and no one is there to speak on your behalf? If not, do it today for your own piece of mind! If you carry a letter, be sure to let the airline attendants know about it BEFOREhand.

Best wishes,

Kristen