Disability Hearing Today..

Nikki

Later on today I have my disability hearing. The lawyer I have is really nice, and said it will be a casual conversation with the judge so I shouldn't get too nervous about it. I was just wondering if anyone else has been through one and could maybe tell me their experience. Cause I am a bit nervous. How long does the hearing usually last?

Sorry, but I'm sure you're done with your hearing by now. I hope it all went well. Mine was nerve-wracking, but the judge granted me disability at the end of my trial, which is really quick. I'm hoping that you had the same luck. Let us know!

It went really well, and it was quick too. They said it would be the judge, a vocational expert & a doctor. My lawyer said he has a good feeling because they very rarely bring on a doctor. He was right. They had the doctor (on the phone) say his testimony. He said he looked over all my records and he thinks I could possibly have post concussive syndrome from when I fainted & hit my head years ago, and now POTS on top of it. He said he thinks with the severity of my symptoms, I wouldn't be able to work. That was it, basically. The judge approved it. I had all these thoughts and mental notes of what I was going to say and was so nervous I'd get tongue tied or forget something important, but they didn't near to hear my testimony at all. I was so surprised and relieved..After going through so many bad experiences with doctors, I figured this one wouldn't understand how bad it is either, but thankfully he did.

Before the hearing my lawyer said first of all, no place is going to let me lay down and take as many breaks as I need (which would be a lot)..and he said if you miss 3 days of work per month, there's a good possibility that they won't want you working for them anymore. Which I couldn't imagine only missing 3 days. I'd be lucky if I could show up for a full 3 days out of a month! lol

Part of me is sad and upset (and kind of ashamed) that I even needed to try for disability..but I am glad that yesterday went well and that it wasn't nearly as stressful as I thought it would be.

Yay, good for you! Always helps to have a Dr. on your side. I know it's hard to accept "disability," but at least it will relieve you from the stress of work and give you time to take care of the things you need to and time to take of yourself. I keep hoping this is a temporary situation for us all.