Night Sweats

Libby

They're starting to become a real problem. I started getting them very rarely after starting prozac two years ago. Once a month or so, if that, so I dealt.

Since the beginning of the year they've been increasing in frequency, but about three weeks ago - a couple of weeks after starting midodrine - I started having one or two a night.

Air conditioning doesn't help. And I don't know if it's the prozac or the midodrine or just another fun symptom of POTS. Anyone have a similar issue? I'm getting so, so tired of waking up damp at 3am, changing my shirt and sheets only to have it happen again 3 hours later.

My son has these. He says he feels almost paralyzed when he first wakes up. As soon as he can he calls us on his cell, though he usually has trouble talking. He will be soaked from head to toe and we have to change sheets, and clothes. They used to be really infrequent, once every month or so, then more often, then we didn't see any for quite awhile, then very frequently, once a night most nights, for a few weeks, then much better, now lately once every few days. Can't really predict them and he wasn't taking any meds during lots of these so wouldn' really associate that for him. The couple of times they went away the Dr. had put him on Amitriptyline for migraines (pre pots diagnosis)

I got these every night until I started taking in extra salt. I now take 3000mg salt tablets daily on top of salty food and beverages, etc. My doctor told me this would stop the night sweats for me and he was right. Not sure if you're already taking extra salt, but if you are not perhaps try and see if it helps.

I have had night sweats for the past 16 years. It all started with Chronic Fatigue and fibromyalgia, then menopause and now POTS. I've been having them quite frequently here lately. I wake up sweating mainly on my upper body and I feel sticky and grimey. It is quite annoying to say the least! I have at least 4 pairs of PJ's because of that problem. I'm so use to them now, I just roll over and go back to sleep!

I asked my neurologist about my night sweats since QSART results revealed that that I have little/no sweating in the lower extremeties though during night sweats, I can be drenched all over. She said that sweating from heat and sweating from night sweats are totally differently in that sweating from night sweats tends to be hormonal in nature. So you can have impaired sweating from POTS and still suffer from horrible night sweats-- GREAT!

The ONLY time I sweat is in the late night/early morning. I don't sweat to heat, even 95F heat. But, in the night I get the heat flush, and then all my creases are damp. For me, I am pretty sure my blood sugar is going low while I sleep, and then the hormones kick in to bring it up: adrenaline and cortisol. It's just a theory, and I couldn't get a doctor to try me on a continuous glucose monitor to see what my glucose was doing. It works kind of like a holter monitor, checking blood sugar continuously for about 24-48 hours. The do it for diabetics at a drop of a hat, but for someone who gets hypoglycemia, they wouldn't do it. Sounds like someone like me would benefit MORE than even a diabetic from this monitor!

Per the tests I am a very low sweater as well. :P Although I used to wake up at least 3 times a week drenched around 3am...one of those wonderful nights I can actually fall asleep by 3am!! Now since I am on a Beta-Blocker these symptoms have lessened. It only happens about 1 time every other week. I went off the beta-blocker for some testing a few weeks ago and the night sweats came back...

My son has these. He says he feels almost paralyzed when he first wakes up. As soon as he can he calls us on his cell, though he usually has trouble talking. He will be soaked from head to toe and we have to change sheets, and clothes. They used to be really infrequent, once every month or so, then more often, then we didn't see any for quite awhile, then very frequently, once a night most nights, for a few weeks, then much better, now lately once every few days. Can't really predict them and he wasn't taking any meds during lots of these so wouldn' really associate that for him. The couple of times they went away the Dr. had put him on Amitriptyline for migraines (pre pots diagnosis)

My son too- dripping wet & practically unconscious. This can happen in the day too if he gets into a deep enough sleep- especially following school. Mack's Hopkins doc put him on an H-1 and H-2 wondering if these sweats could be the result of his mast cells being too reactive. It has helped. Mack just takes a claritin at night and ranitidine during the day.

I have had severe night sweats since my late 20's. They are better with my MCAD meds, aspirin, and Alleve???

Julie

I've had them also for the past 2 years since my surgery...meds, fluids, salt nothing has helped so I sleep with a fan beside the bed even in the winter which helps some but like last night I woke up with my feet freezing and my hair plastered to my head sweating like mad lol I keep thinking it's hormonal?